Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plan to Scotland in Easter holiday

S

StevenZhang

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi everyone,
Originally, I planned to drive our cali to Spain or Switzerland with my family during the Easter holiday. Now it seems that I have to cancel this plan because the coronavirus epidemic there is getting worse. But I can’t spend the whole holiday at home with my children, right? So, we plan to go to Scotland. Although the weather there will not be very good at this time in April, is it better than staying at home?
I've been to Edinburgh twice, but I have never been to other parts of Scotland. I originally planned to go this summer. Now it seems that the plan can be advanced. My plan is to travel for two weeks, but I am not quite sure how to plan the route and where to go. If it is from London to Scotland, in two weeks, can you help me plan a self-driving trip? What cities and nature are worth visiting? Which campersites are good? Thank you all for your recommendation!

00FAC31B-2CE9-4B8A-9CD4-1CE99CCD8D5F.jpeg

We are hoping to do the NC500 in April. There is lots of information on the NC500 website and some itineraries to help you plan. I understand it can get really busy, but hoping early April will still be fairly quiet.

We are hoping to do the NC500 in April. There is lots of information on the NC500 website and some itineraries to help you plan. I understand it can get really busy, but hoping early April will still be fairly quiet.
Thank you so much!

I recommend a book.

"Take the slow road - Scotland" by Martin Dorey.
IBSN 978-1-84486-538-3

Provides loads of routes all over, plus good guide and recommendations.

Martin Dorey is a campervan owner also

Hi everyone,
Originally, I planned to drive our cali to Spain or Switzerland with my family during the Easter holiday. Now it seems that I have to cancel this plan because the coronavirus epidemic there is getting worse. But I can’t spend the whole holiday at home with my children, right? So, we plan to go to Scotland. Although the weather there will not be very good at this time in April, is it better than staying at home?
I've been to Edinburgh twice, but I have never been to other parts of Scotland. I originally planned to go this summer. Now it seems that the plan can be advanced. My plan is to travel for two weeks, but I am not quite sure how to plan the route and where to go. If it is from London to Scotland, in two weeks, can you help me plan a self-driving trip? What cities and nature are worth visiting? Which campersites are good? Thank you all for your recommendation!

View attachment 56091
If you wait for the weather you’d never go anywhere :) We know Scotland well, we’ve been going regularly for 35 years. We go April / May & Sept / Oct when it’s quieter & midge free. This April we will be back on Arran & then Galloway. Do you want to stay on the mainland or ferry hop, how old are the children, is anywhere a must see? Let’s know your thoughts & we can make some suggestions. Have you considered breaking your journey from London by stopping off in the Lakes on route?

I recommend a book.

"Take the slow road - Scotland" by Martin Dorey.
IBSN 978-1-84486-538-3

Provides loads of routes all over, plus good guide and recommendations.

Martin Dorey is a campervan owner also
Thank you so much

If you wait for the weather you’d never go anywhere :) We know Scotland well, we’ve been going regularly for 35 years. We go April / May & Sept / Oct when it’s quieter & midge free. This April we will be back on Arran & then Galloway. Do you want to stay on the mainland or ferry hop, how old are the children, is anywhere a must see? Let’s know your thoughts & we can make some suggestions. Have you considered breaking your journey from London by stopping off in the Lakes on route?

Hello, I have two children, a 13-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl. We prefer natural scenery, and small towns are also good. The suggestion to stay in the Lakes is a good idea. In addition, I learned that Skye Island, highland and NC500 are all worth visiting. Other places have no idea now. In addition, we have higher requirements for the campsite, and we hope to recommend some better campsites. Thank you.

Sorry, but I don't get this idea that it is safer to travel to Scotland than it is to Spain or other EU countries because of the virus. It's here, the whole of Europe is affected. On that basis nowhere is safe, the UK as well. Infact due to the population density you could argue that the UK is less safe than many of our neighbours.
Known cases are doubling every 3 to 4 days and by April who knows what state the UK and EU will be in.
By all means visit Scotland but don't think you will be safer than visiting Spain. In fact you could be more at risk if lots of others do the same for the same reason.

Sorry, but I don't get this idea that it is safer to travel to Scotland than it is to Spain or other EU countries because of the virus. It's here, the whole of Europe is affected. On that basis nowhere is safe, the UK as well. Infact due to the population density you could argue that the UK is less safe than many of our neighbours.
Known cases are doubling every 3 to 4 days and by April who knows what state the UK and EU will be in.
By all means visit Scotland but don't think you will be safer than visiting Spain. In fact you could be more at risk if lots of others do the same for the same reason.
The risk as I see it is becoming trapped in a locked-down region. Given that choice, I think that I would prefer to be trapped within the British mainland than overseas. With its very low population density, the Highlands of Scotland appears to be an excellent choice. Easter is a good time as midge levels are manageable, and on the West Coast the weather can be excellent.

1583750524962.png
Orkney April 2007

The risk as I see it is becoming trapped in a locked-down region. Given that choice, I think that I would prefer to be trapped within the British mainland than overseas. With its very low population density, the Highlands of Scotland appears to be an excellent choice. Easter is a good time as midge levels are manageable, and on the West Coast the weather can be excellent.

So the choice the OP has to make is essentially between - COVID19 or Midges.

View attachment 56099
Orkney April 2007
Being locked in the Scottish Highlands with restricted food or catering doesn't seem a good plan. Will Scotland want potential carriers roaming about?

Seems to be a case of have a few sketchy plans and wait to see how the Virus situation develops.

I'm off to France in a few days and am on my 3rd Ferry booking change as it now looks likely that their current outbreaks are about to follow the Italian example and go up in Category.

Currently Essex & Hertfordshire are our main areas which may lead to the South East corner being Locked In - no trips out from London either?

Being locked in the Scottish Highlands with restricted food or catering doesn't seem a good plan. Will Scotland want potential carriers roaming about?
Cancelling or postponing a road trip around the highlands is unlikely to incur a financial penalty. Unless you have gone for an expensive flexible tunnel or ferry crossing, you are likely to incur a financial penalty for cancelling.

View attachment 56099
Orkney April 2007
Might not have a Low Population if everyone makes the same decision. NC500 will become one big traffic jam and the weather may not be as your picture depicts it.

Might not have a Low Population if everyone makes the same decision. NC500 will become one big traffic jam and the weather may not be as your picture depicts it.
But if you plan a road trip around Scotland for Easter you can always change it at the last minute if the weather (or virus) suggests a tour of the East Anglia coast would be preferable. It is likely to be more costly to alter a holiday to the Costa Brava at the last minute.

Cancelling or postponing a road trip around the highlands is unlikely to incur a financial penalty. Unless you have gone for an expensive flexible tunnel or ferry crossing, you are likely to incur a financial penalty for cancelling.
I've no recollection of mentioning any cost implications. I did advise only making sketchy or even provisional plans as a week seems about as far ahead as the Virus progress seems to permit plans to be made.

I would have thought there would be plenty of capacity on all the ferry and tunnel routes to the continent and then you can travel where you like, quarantine areas permitting. Probably won’t have to book anything before hand. Whereas Scotland in April, and a Bank Holiday, I’m not convinced. Sorry.

We are booked for Spain as well in Easter and we are still going, you will have just as much chance of catching it in Spain as you would I'm Scotland.

I would much rather be sitting at the beach in the sun rather than a rainy Scotland

Absolute worse case scenario, the ferries are now offering free alterations to bookings for 12 months

We are booked for Spain as well in Easter and we are still going, you will have just as much chance of catching it in Spain as you would I'm Scotland.

I would much rather be sitting at the beach in the sun rather than a rainy Scotland

Absolute worse case scenario, the ferries are now offering free alterations to bookings for 12 months
Probably more in England.

Ferry and Eurotunnel prices for the May half term appear to be dropping. I'm quoted online £143 for the ferry or £218 for the tunnel both return fares before pets are added.

Hello, I have two children, a 13-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl. We prefer natural scenery, and small towns are also good. The suggestion to stay in the Lakes is a good idea. In addition, I learned that Skye Island, highland and NC500 are all worth visiting. Other places have no idea now. In addition, we have higher requirements for the campsite, and we hope to recommend some better campsites. Thank you.
Particularly with a 5 year old, less is more in relation to mileage. We’ve done the NC500, but would suggest leaving this until your youngest is a couple of years older.
In our opinion people love or dislike Skye, we are the former, however travelling from London with a 5 year old for 2 weeks we would suggest that 600+ miles to Skye is too far. There is a lot of beautiful areas to explore in Scotland without travelling that distance, we can make a few suggestions from our experience if you wish :)

What cities and nature are worth visiting? Which campersites are good? Thank you all for your recommendation!

One of my favourite area's of Scotland if not wanting to travel to the far North is Dumfries and Galloway. The area West of Newtown Steward.

One of my favourite area's of Scotland if not wanting to travel to the far North is Dumfries and Galloway. The area West of Newtown Steward.
Absolutely, D & G was going suggest this to O P. So many people head for the highlands & islands completely bypassing this area.

Hi everyone,

View attachment 56091
Often overlooked, Galloway is a wonderful ‘dark sky’ area & has a good mix of forest, beach, small towns, foodie places & not many people.
Recommended spots, the beach at Sandyhills & Needle‘s Eye Rock Arch, south of Dalbeatie. Loch Ken (south of New Galloway campsite here) to see the Red Kites & water activities for the 13 year old? A little further down the A712 from N G is the Grey Mare’s Waterfall & a short climb up to Murray’s Monument gives great views. Few miles further is the Galloway Forest Park Visitors Centre. South of Newton Stewart is Wigtown, a lovely little ‘book town’ to amble around & walk down to the marshes to see the Martyer‘s Monument. South of Wigtown is the ruins of St Ninian‘s Chapel a beautiful spot right on the edge of the bay. Another good beach around the coast is Sandhead on the way down to the Mull of Galloway lighthouse at the southern most tip. Lots to do in the area, you could do a lot worse for a first trip over the border :)