Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Planning a Spanish trip in July, looking for advice!

A

Amandapwells

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
we just made the decision to purchase our camper after years of talking about it! We are a family of 4 and very excited about adventures ahead!
Looking for advice on planning a road trip to Spain. Our plan is to drive through France in July and down to the coast along to costa brava, then up through the Pyrenees to explore saint sibastien and surrounding area. Looking to then either ferry back from there or drive back through France.

I wonder if at this time of year we need to book pitches in advance or how spontaneous we can be? I am a bit of a planner but other half likes to be more spontaneous and reckons we will always find somewhere. Advice much appreciated as well as any recommended websites for finding campsites (aware of pitchup but that’s about it!]

What are the rules on just sleeping where you want and not booking into campsites?

Start of a whole new world!

I would just say beware going up Spain in July, last year it was 40 degrees most days and only dropped down to mid 20''s at night which was very uncomfortable. We ended up booking in to hotels with air con for most nights.

we just made the decision to purchase our camper after years of talking about it! We are a family of 4 and very excited about adventures ahead!
Looking for advice on planning a road trip to Spain. Our plan is to drive through France in July and down to the coast along to costa brava, then up through the Pyrenees to explore saint sibastien and surrounding area. Looking to then either ferry back from there or drive back through France.

I wonder if at this time of year we need to book pitches in advance or how spontaneous we can be? I am a bit of a planner but other half likes to be more spontaneous and reckons we will always find somewhere. Advice much appreciated as well as any recommended websites for finding campsites (aware of pitchup but that’s about it!]

What are the rules on just sleeping where you want and not booking into campsites?

Hi Amandapwells we have had numerous trips to France, Spain & Italy over the last 25 years and I have never booked a site and never had any difficulty finding one, possibly I'm just lucky but I doubt it. We always travel Dover to Calais as I enjoy the drive. when we are travelling we usually overnight on a services but always choose one with 24 hr garage and facilities and park close to the filling station in a well lit area. I hope you enjoy your camper and your trip.

+1 for the warning about the heat. Last time I went to Spain in the summer, the floor rails got too hot for the kids to put their feet in whilst driving (heat from the road). It was too hot to do any sightseeing during the day. Hard to keep the van cool at night. I want to see more of the historical sights and countryside in Spain, but I’ll wait until I’m able to go April/May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the warning about the heat. Last time I went to Spain in the summer, the floor rails got too hot for the kids to put their feet in whilst driving (heat from the road). It was too hot to do any sightseeing during the day. Hard to keep the van cool at night. I want to see more of the historical sights and countryside in Spain, but I’ll wait until I’m able to go April/May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I agree with issues of heat in Spain during July & August, when we used to have to take school holidays we went to the south of France on the Italian border staying in a place called Sospel up in the mountains and then driving down to the beach at Menton. We always found this worked for us as it was cooler at night in Sospel still warm but at least you could sleep.

Our summer holiday planning is still in its embryonic stage. We have 19 days at the end of August. Almost certainly Eurotunnel to/from Coquelles, then south avoiding Paris. If hot, head for the hills. You lose about 1 degree of heat for every 100m of ascent, so 40 degrees on the Barcelona Beaches will be about 20 degrees on the Pyrenean Passes. Busy resort type campsites will need to be booked. Small campsites should be fine.

Thanks all so much all for all this helpful info- I’m so glad I asked as didn’t think about the heat. Great advice on booking of sites and reiterates my thoughts- mountains we will head!

Agree about the heat, the best time for Spain in the Cali is May or June or September we also ended up decamping to a villa as it was just too hot in the van and all we did was look for shade all the time. A metal box in 40 degree heat is no fun at all, especially with kids.

Yes I agree with issues of heat in Spain during July & August, when we used to have to take school holidays we went to the south of France on the Italian border staying in a place called Sospel up in the mountains and then driving down to the beach at Menton. We always found this worked for us as it was cooler at night in Sospel still warm but at least you could sleep.
This sounds great thanks so much

In July and August, Germans come to the beach and Spaniards go to the mountains. The north coast is beautiful during summer (and cold in winter). 3 years ago we did the Santiago Way North route by bicycle in August, 850 km along the coast in 11 days, beautiful weather all the way past Santiago de Compostela to Finisterra, except for a couple of days of deluge in Asturias. I wound up biking with swimming goggles.

Last edited:
Daytime heat isn’t a problem it’s the nights that are an issue especially when there are 4 of you, downstairs can be stifling. French Atlantic coast has fine weather and night time temps are not too warm at all.

Some Spanish sites have shades on pitches so it may be worth looking for one with them. However my personal option is Spain is too hot, we have an coastal apartment with air-con and we would not even go to that in July. Inland can get very hot and In May the van got hot parked in the sun. We tried walking in the Picos de Europa one May and there was snow so we went again in September and it was too hot. Large bits of Spain including Alicante region in land have just had snow. Weather everwhere is getting strange.

You can look at this to see the weather in Spain last year. I just put for Valencia but you can choose different cities.

We all like to save cash BUT SPEND MONEY ON THE MANY TOP QUALITY SITES in Spain
You will need to book to get a decent pitch
Use auto via routes (toll free ). Avoid auto pista tolls
Check out Càmping lamfora at san Pere pescador near roses..... the cleanest facilities you will ever encounter whilst camping
Superb pools and massive beach
Enjoy

Some Spanish sites have shades on pitches so it may be worth looking for one with them. However my personal option is Spain is too hot, we have an coastal apartment with air-con and we would not even go to that in July. Inland can get very hot and In May the van got hot parked in the sun. We tried walking in the Picos de Europa one May and there was snow so we went again in September and it was too hot. Large bits of Spain including Alicante region in land have just had snow. Weather everwhere is getting strange.

You can look at this to see the weather in Spain last year. I just put for Valencia but you can choose different cities.
Thank for this!

In July and August, Germans come to the beach and Spaniards go to the mountains. The north coast is beautiful during summer (and cold in winter). 3 years ago we did the Santiago Way North route by bicycle in August, 850 km along the coast in 11 days, beautiful weather all the way past Santiago de Compostela to Finisterra, except for a couple of days of deluge in Asturias. I wound up biking with swimming goggles.

Edited with photos added.

We have a home in Spain situated between Barcelona and Valencia, little hilltop village only 22kms from Vinaros and it's lovely. But, since buying the house in 2005 we have only stayed one summer. It's stifling, busy busy busy and I would suggest going prior to June or after mid September. But, should you go in the summer, enjoy the atmosphere, the simplicity and the food....cheap as chips.

Most people have said that it is hot hot hot, and it has been every time we’ve been during July. Unbearably so in-land but we’ve found the Atlantic coast (North and South) easily bearable at night, even when 40 deg, due to sea breeze.
I’m sure this won’t be an issue for you but disappointingly last year on Costa Daurada we were broken into twice in 5 days (Sitges/Tarragona) both times sliding door window smashed for entry - and then robbed in Valencia street two days later..... so that was a good week! Never had issues before although police in Sitges did say Campervan crime was high.
Despite this, we’d still go to other Spanish coastal areas. Lovely country, I hope you have a great time!

Hi sounds good

... If IT

If IT is possible you shouldt spent some time to visit Salamanca it makes sense to spend some time.
greetings from Germany Rolf

Some sites have a minimum stay of 7 nights in peak season - be aware of that.

2 night ferry is a bit long and boring - I'm going to Spain this August and doing the 1 night ferries.

I always book my sites ahead - you can make sure you are getting on a nice one that way!

The heat has never bothered us that much - van has AC when driving and you can always get shaded pitches.

Er have spent 5 to 6 weeks the last 3 summers in Spain. Mostly in northern Spain by Bilbao, Santander and Asturias. It is great and not too hot. We never booked in advance but it can get crowded by the beach. The surf, nature, mountains and beaches are hard to beat!

Back