Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Planning and Making Advanced Upgrades to the California Coast

enricomiglino

enricomiglino

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Introduction
I chose this area following the suggestion of other members of the forum to start a thread describing what I am planning to do as my Cali Coast arrives (expected not later than the mid of February, sic!).
I will update the discussion with the advancement of the several projects I am planning to improve the standard features of the Cali. Most of these projects will include custom electronics whose details will be published on the reference site, as well as the software for the microcontrollers and embedded Linux devices I will use will be available as Open Source on the respective GitHub repository.

Important Note: I am far to have the presumption to be able to do everything perfectly and this thread is not just a showcase tracing the path of the project(s) evolution but – I hope – a discussion area where I am happy to collect and take in account very seriously comments and suggestions of the members, owning by a longer time their Cali so more experienced than me in what is good and what is not good, or useless.

So, thank you for reading and interacting, and let's go to start.

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing more. Are you going to give us a teaser of the kinds of projects you have in mind?!

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing more. Are you going to give us a teaser of the kinds of projects you have in mind?!
Hey, thanks!

More than a teaser I am planning a series of ideas connected to some questions and depict a scenario of the stuff I have in mind, also to have feedback.
I have a couple of deadlines this month, almost hard, so I think I will start a bit slower but I forced me to write down this short intro to start. :)

Spoiler #1 - Solar Cells Integration
This is one of the first points I think it should be possible to prepare before the arrival of the vehicle. I am searching for cheap solar cells, but there are currently unsolved questions I hope to find the answer here:
  1. I am really unsure it flexible panels can be set up easier than the rigid ones.
  2. Not having yet the Cali (T6.1) I have not found definitive documentation on the size the panels should be. This is stopping me to start buying them and preparing the charging system.
  3. To have also the possibility to use the rail guides on the top of the roof keeping the panels it seems that a couple of units are the max that can be hosted.
  4. No problem making the rail guide by myself or some other kind of support (still to be found the better solution) but I also have a big concern: what about vibrations while traveling?
A few tech notes: The charger unit will be based on a microcontroller (for now I am oriented to Cypress PSoC6 series) as I have already done low power devices with this hardware and are very powerful and flexible. The design of the charger will be defined with the panels on hand. Then, the charger control will collect data and some statistics as well as sending usage information to a connected central unit.

General note: many of the solutions that I plan to adapt to the Cali are based on an already stable modular design I have started by some months to convert a normal home to a smart-home (aka the Super Smart Home project.

In the meantime... The 15 liters Portapotty has already arrived from Amazon and my dealer has already ordered the back detachable shower tent.

to be continued...

Spoiler #2 Gas Security Control
This is another implementation that can be created before the Cali arrives. I saw in some technical videos that the Gas is stored in the left back-side of the van under the shower compartment. I also saw that the is a hole to the bottom of the storage area to avoid any risk of gas accumulation inside the van. Anyway, with a small remotely accessible microcontroller and a gas sensor, it is possible to improve the security of this area.

As far as what I read it seems that there are few and not very comfortable empiric checks to verify the gar remaining in the gas bottle. So, the same microcontroller can also be attached to an in-line pressure sensor to know in every moment the pressure level and, consequently, the remaining gas inside of the bottle (when the pressure goes down dramatically the bottle is going to be empty in a very few time.

Question: I read that the standard gas bottle is a camping gas 6 liters(if I am not wrong). Is there the possibility to use eventually one bigger?

to be continued...

Let me try and summarise your posts.
You ask -
1 - what solar system do cali owners recommend?
2. Is there a viable altenative to the Campingaz 907 bottle?
Answer to Q2 - "No" - but can cook 387 bacon butties, so more than sufficient.
Someone will hopefully answer Q1 shortly

Let me try and summarise your posts.
You ask -
1 - what solar system do Cali owners recommend?
2. Is there a viable alternative to the Campingaz 907 bottle?
Answer to Q2 - "No" - but can cook 387 bacon butties, so more than sufficient.
Someone will hopefully answer Q1 shortly
Thank you for the Q2 question, I think I can find one in the Decathlon camping section of some shop here around, so I can start implementing the circuit and testing it.

About the Q1, until now I found a lot of discussions on the Electricity forum but not technically detailed, nor models. I found this in the UK https://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/index.php/shop/vwcalikit but they are super expensive and there is not a specific dimension of the bare solar panel. That is what I need to be sure about the compatibility. All the rest I can do it by myself and publishing the details I think I can help anyone else to do the same. Just to say, essentially the same, not bad quality, on Amazon https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B07BMNGVV3/ it cost less than half! If you buy a 200W kit from the link above you spend about 1k more or less. It is a dramatic difference!
Or this that already includes two: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B07PR97J76/ If the size is right, for this price and a good digital charger, trust me that it is possible to reach at least the same performances.

Thank you for the precious information on the gas bottle. you mean this https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B000R8RBJS/ right? How about the price?

Yes, the Solarcampersolutions kit is what Roger installed for me and yes there are cheaper solutions but I was very happy to pay Roger for something that works and for the good service. He is always willing to answer any questions you may have if you email him via his website.
Yes the 907 bottle is famous for being expensive, but it fits the space in the vehicle. I even carry a spare.
Both issues are very much incidental to the cost of buying a California.

Yes, the Solarcampersolutions kit is what Roger installed for me, and yes there are cheaper solutions but I was very happy to pay Roger for something that works and for the good service. He is always willing to answer any questions you may have if you email him via his website.
Yes, the 907 bottle is famous for being expensive, but it fits the space in the vehicle. I even carry a spare.
Both issues are very much incidental to the cost of buying a California.
Thank you, in the meantime, I found the original campingaz bottle for 99 Euro at a shop here in Gent (where I live). Not only cheaper but there is the advantage – I was having the same idea n ming – of a spare. Then, I suppose that this thing works like all the other big and small gas bottles, you take two and when one is empty you replace it and go to recharge the empty bottle to the same dealer (it if is reasonably near); after the first time, you pay less or so.BTW, who is Roger?

Thank you, in the meantime, I found the original campingaz bottle for 99 Euro at a shop here in Gent (where I live). Not only cheaper but there is the advantage – I was having the same idea n ming – of a spare. Then, I suppose that this thing works like all the other big and small gas bottles, you take two and when one is empty you replace it and go to recharge the empty bottle to the same dealer (it if is reasonably near); after the first time, you pay less or so.BTW, who is Roger?
Roger runs solarcamersolutions.

An option for your gas is to fit an underslung external gas tank, we had refillable on our Moho, refills are are done with Autogas at a filling station which is considerably cheaper than camping gaz refills.Autogas is about 70p per litre. I will let you work out payback on the outlay but it is more convenient. Gas consumption is very high in Mohos especially off grid, water heating, habitation heating, fridge and cooking. An example uk install. This not an endorsement for Rhino installs, they are just an installer who I am aware of locally.

There are also third party gas level applications, I know Truma have a good one, here is an example of a standalone kit

An option for your gas is to fit an underslung external gas tank, we had refillable on our Moho, refills are are done with Autogas at a filling station which is considerably cheaper than camping gaz refills.Autogas is about 70p per litre. I will let you work out payback on the outlay but it is more convenient. Gas consumption is very high in Mohos especially off grid, water heating, habitation heating, fridge and cooking. An example uk install. This not an endorsement for Rhino installs, they are just an installer who I am aware of locally.

There are also third party gas level applications, I know Truma have a good one, here is an example of a standalone kit

Thank you for the suggestions, but, as far as I know, in model I bought gas is only for cooking. Your solution is interesting but probably excessive. BTW, I live in Belgium and/or Spain so it will be very difficult for me to apply for a Uk solution.

Thank you for the suggestions, but, as far as I know, in model I bought gas is only for cooking. Your solution is interesting but probably excessive. BTW, I live in Belgium and/or Spain so it will be very difficult for me to apply for a Uk solution.
I was aware of your location they were for illustrative purposes only, I am sure there will be similar examples in Belgium.

Gas Security Control (Updated)
Today I got the R907 campinggaz gas bottle. 99 Euro from a local dealer and the swap when it is finished with the only cost of the gas refill.

Well, as I will add a gas sensor that should be obviously very close to the connector, the same microcontroller will also use an ultrasound sensor to detect very precisely the liquid gas level remaining in the bottle.

Gas Security Control (Updated)
Today I got the R907 campinggaz gas bottle. 99 Euro from a local dealer and the swap when it is finished with the only cost of the gas refill.

Well, as I will add a gas sensor that should be obviously very close to the connector, the same microcontroller will also use an ultrasound sensor to detect very precisely the liquid gas level remaining in the bottle.
If you plan to put electronic devices inside the gas bottle container then there are very strict safety regulations that must be adhered to.

If you plan to put electronic devices inside the gas bottle container then there are very strict safety regulations that must be adhered to.
I know. As well as applying automotive improvements also if does not directly impact the core of the vehicle electronics and controls.

Note About the "Spoiler" Posts
This series of posts – I am trying to complete the essential list as soon as possible, compatible with the time I can dedicate – as I mentioned in the introduction to this thread is a sort of sones in the water. For every idea, I already have in mind a draft but before moving to the next step I am very happy that other members answer, comment and suggest, as well as warning me on the risks of doing or not some choices. So for now, thank you for the suggestions and notes. But also for the good indications, links and contacts.

The (Few) Steps Already Done, Until Now
  • Portapotty: 15 litres from Amazon, the more comfortable model mechanic only together with a test series of blue product and soluble toilet paper. Some suggestions on the best place to fit? At the moment I think behind the seats of the van, also considering that I have also got the shower tent for the backside of the Cali
  • Gas bottle: following the suggestions here and there (see the posts above) I got today the standard Campingaz bottle for the Van.
  • Solar Panels: thanks to the suggestions of @vwsween I contacted Roger that in a few minutes immediately answered with some good suggestions. Not yet sure from where I will buy the panels but the plan now is clear (BTW, if possible I will buy the bare solar panels from Roger, waiting for his answer).
  • Already stored at home: a bunch of Raspberry Pi and several kinds of Arduinos and ESP8266. Sensors for almost all the applications I have in mind.
Follow the next spoilers below :)

Spoiler #3 Cameras
I consider this point a sort of indispensable accessory. There are still some doubts I have not clear, especially for the read camera: the best position. The camera cases will be designed and made with the Cali but all the rest can be done independently before.

The rear camera has two functionalities: during parking for a better back-view and during the night or when the camper is alone for control. The rear camera setup is almost clear: the lens module and a motion sensor. When a moving target enters the proximity virtual fence of the sensor, the camera starts an automatic shooting sequence (e.g. every5 seconds or less, depends on the distance of the subject).

The real question is if the camera module should be external, fixed to the back glass from inside or adopting a different solution. Until I have not the Cali here these are only suppositions, but it will be nice to have some suggestion or know someone else experience.

I'm excited to see your new developments, i will log back in
next Feb or March :thumb
I don't like the spoilers, they will ruin it for me.
The spoilers are a good method to put all the ideas in a row, exclude those not feasible or not really useful and – more important for me – collecting suggestions and critics.

When the spoilers end, I start publishing the state of the art and work in progress of the projects, with links, documentation, images and videos.

Back