Planning for 2015

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After our tour from Inverness along the top Scotland following the West Coast back to England next year we are undertaking Inverness down the East Coast to England following the coast. Any recommendations welcome ie what not to miss any gems.

For us this is what California ownership is about as well as a first class daily drive with 31k on the clock a great way to holiday for those sitting on the fence re ownership it is not worry what I have spent or worry what might break it is what you miss if you dont get one

So it looks like the East Coast of Scotland is a no go area for the Cali camper.

Not in the East but dont forget calis on the farm in July :clap

The West coast gets a lot more visitors for a reason.. personally, I would head down through the Cairngorms - they are beautiful.

The Maritime museum in Aberdeen is worth a visit, although not worth planning an entire holiday around :) It's a great place to visit if you turn up a bit early for the Shetland ferry (which is a bit different to the Shetland Bus…)

There's a pretty looking castle around there somewhere. No idea what it's called, but it's one of the standard Windows 7 desktop images!

Quite a nice drive between Inverness and Lather-on-Wheel, after that I've always turned off to head for Scrabster, missing he whole north-east corner.

dan

Keep them coming. As our long term plan is to circle the whole uk the East Coast is the area for some of next year I am aware there are nicer parts of Scotland but the East it is in 2015

Hi Andy,

Apologies for the "hijack". We're planning to go to the West of Scotland next summer and any suggestion would be gratefully received.

Also come March 2015 there will be another white Cali driving around Southampton. :hello

Hi Andy,

I'm not sure that those on the East coast would necessarily agree that they don't live in the nicest part of Scotland ;) I've only just seen this thread - otherwise I would have pitched in earlier.

So here goes, some suggestions for places either on or fairly near the coast (having seen the map of your coast-hugging journey in the west) ...

- some initial inspiration here http://wildaboutscotland.com/2013/11/17 ... e-you-die/
- I know you've already been dolphin-watching at Fortrose but the Black Isle is a lovely spot
- the small fishing villages on the Nairn coast are definitely worth visiting (eg Portsoy - famous boat festival early July, Macduff, Gardenstown, Pennan - location of the Local Hero phone box)
- maybe a detour inland through Aberdeenshire ? (Bennachie and its iron age forts, castles)
- Dunnottar Castle is the picturesque one Dan mentions, just south of Stonehaven
- swim in Stonehaven's open air heated outdoor swimming pool, dating from the 1930s (a rarity in Scotland!)
- nip slightly inland at this point to visit Edzell and the Angus Glens (good walking)
- Lunan Bay is the standout beach on this stretch of the East coast and I have a feeling you can camp just nearby
- eat genuine Arbroath smokies at Auchmithie - where they originated
- visit Tentsmuir National Nature Reserve just north of St Andrews - lovely forest walks and deserted beach
- St Andrews obviously plus the Fife coastal villages of Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem and Elie (walk the Elie Chain Walk, walk or cycle the Fife Coastal Path)
- visit Culross near Kincardine (historic town)
- Edinburgh of course plus Portobello, its 'seaside' (ok, maybe this is stretching things a little ...)
- East Lothian has some nice towns (eg Dunbar, North Berwick) and beaches (eg Yellowcraigs)
- St Abbs (mecca for divers given its clear waters) and Eyemouth (fishing village, Giacopazzi's chip shop & ice cream)
- I think there's already a thread here somewhere about Northumberland (deserted beaches, Holy Island, castles, Cheviots, Hadrian's Wall, Tynedale villages, Kielder Forest and new Dark Sky observatory).

And if you don't already have it, buy Peter Irvine's 'Scotland the Best' for the absolute best tips on where to go and what to do. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ewen.
Will work throught your list using os map and google earth (nothing is worse than getting home and finding a great place, castle, harbour or lighthouse you missed just off our planned route)
:thanks

And thanks Dan :thanks

The Eastern side of Scotland has to be one of the best places going. Glen Affric is a gem, and the Dee Valley beautiful, with excellent hills to walk in on either side. Further down, Perthshire has superb scenery. Plus lots of castles, etc.. Long empty sandy beaches north of Aberdeen and that dramatic rocky coastline south of it.

The west coast is famously rugged and rightly a tourist magnet, but the east has more trees at the corresponding latitudes, better weather and offers a rewarding alternative. Your plan to follow west with east sounds excellent.

Dunnet head is a must. A bleak wilderness with a lighthouse but the most Northern part of the UK.

From there to John o Groats, the castle of May, the Queen Mums old home.

Wick, nice fishing village outside the town.

Lybster - Farm gate tarted up with whalebone from the beached whale in 1920'2

Berriedale Brae .. lovely stream and very pleasant walks

Helmsdale, the cliffs above, where children were tethered during the clearances, awaiting resettlement and tethered to avoid being blown off the cliffs.

Brora, beautiful beach, place where Polson the hunter killed the last wolf in Britain - Bastard, and the Golden Fry, best fish and chips in Scotland.

Black Isle: Nigg bay.

East of Inverness - Culloden - start of General Wades road building programme to pacify the highlands.

Nairn - flat cakes, gorgeous

Burghead - Archies bakery

Findhorn bay - lovely

Fraserburgh - soused herring... delicious

Aberdeen ... the "stuff you Alex Salmond" memorial to his home territory voting NO.

Arbroath - 45 commando, smokies

thanks

We are going South from Inverness, down the coast to England & Holly Island on our around the coast adventure. ( having done the coast from Inverness to Gretna last year) :thumb

thanks

We are going South from Inverness, down the coast to England & Holly Island on our around the coast adventure. ( having done the coast from Inverness to Gretna last year) :thumb
Can you recommend any campsites from this trip, I am planning to hug the east coast from Dundee to Inverness. There are lots of places to visit but ther doesn't seem to be lots of campsites.
It would be great to stay for a few nights on a site which has good open views north as if lucky enough I am hoping for some northern lights activity.

Can you recommend any campsites from this trip, I am planning to hug the east coast from Dundee to Inverness. There are lots of places to visit but ther doesn't seem to be lots of campsites.
It would be great to stay for a few nights on a site which has good open views north as if lucky enough I am hoping for some northern lights activity.

Back in 2015

https://silver-sands.co.uk/ large site near Lossiemouth but loads of space when we went - bath in shower block

5 unit site bellow near St Andrews very basic 1 loo and 1 shower but loved it http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=9141

camping-near-st-andrews.jpg
camping1.jpg
above a bit basic private site edge of town site at Fraserbugh just up the Road to Lighthouse Museum. Static vans on site http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=4837

Last edited:
Back