bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
  • Take off to the Outer Hebrides in Horace (our T5) with wife and dog
  • Keep radio tuned to Gaelic, take Frank Zappa CDs
  • Commune with the Corncrakes, swim with otters
  • Master yogic flying by the lochside, learn Japanese
  • Apply for citizenship in case they go independent?
  • Miss the ferry back to the mainland.....
What immaculate timing......:thumb

We depart for 11 weeks away on 5 June.

On 8 June we stay with friends in Lubeck.

Last edited:
Off on Hols on 9 June!! All of a sudden it seems a long way away :(

couple of days before and after no hook up no radio no TV no papers no wifi and no Bull %^&%

:offtopic

I think the point of the OP was how are members going to avoid the constant electioneering over the next few weeks?

But I guess it's probably too late now - the thread is hijacked.

Don't get me wrong - I'll be taking this election as seriously as everyone else but won't be discussing it here. Let's face it - anyone who feels strongly enough to share their opinion on a public forum has already made up their mind. Sorry - no disrespect - but I don't know you and am not going to be swayed by your opinions. I will listen to the politicians and commentators, read sensible commentary, discuss with my friends and make my mind up.

Now that that's off my chest - back to matters Cali ................:agreed?

I am ironically going to escape to the.....EU..will be there for the election build up and the election.

People in the village where I live in Portugal, laughingly now refer to Brits as 'real foreigners' now we are Brexiters..

Reactions: DM
Off to Scandinavia for 3 weeks. No radio or TVs or papers that I can understand.
Heaven.

As expected, only took 3 posts before we got a political comment.

My apologies folks - perhaps it was too much to hope my light hearted post wouldn't turn into a political debate. Ironic as the point of the post was how to escape this very thing....

As I have said in the past, this sort of political "debating" should be kept off this forum.
It spills over into other threads.

Moderators - this forum is "light Hearted Chit Chat" can we have a new section please headed up:
"Politics, is DSG better than a manual, and should I be jailed for doing 71mph on an empty motorway"
we could then put all the emotive subjects in one place & it would be easy to avoid the posts.:D

Last edited:
Moderators - this forum is "light Hearted Chit Chat" can we have a new section please headed up:
"Politics, is DSG better than a manual, and should I be jailed for doing 71mph on an empty motorway"
we could then put all the emotive subjects in one place & it would be easy to avoid the posts.:D
Don't forget the "which is best SE or Beach" threads. That's all bases covered I think.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

not quite all bases theres always "how many have died filling up from a garden hose" and "portaloo in the kitchen cupboard or not" and I thought long and hard about "how do people manage without 4 wheel drive on the M25 in rush hour" but feel that some subjects are far to sensitive to be discussed on a public forum & really should only be debated in private by VIP members with at least 5 years membership behind them.:Iamsorry

Back to the OP......................

Off in early May to catch up with my old boss (he's younger than me but never mind) in Frankfurt and then we'll mozy our way down through southern Germany into Austria and then Slovenia for a surprise hook up with our eldest (surprise to him of course). Then some beaches in Croatia before back through the Dolomites. filling up with all kinds of goodies in Italy (wine mainly), then slowly back to through Europe, finally a last few cases of wine in Calais before landing in Blighty at lunchtime on vote day.

Then hell for leather back 'oop north to cast our votes.

Seriously - what do you do when you live in Ken Clarke's neck of the woods? At least he has the guts to vote with his conscience (so long as it doesn't interfere with his directorships with BAT for example) but round here until he's gone there's no way any other party will be elected. So a vote for anyone else is only a statistic that goes into the big national pot. Bring on proportional voting.

Personally we're hoping the youth of today get more mobilised - it's their future and they should be concerned that if they don't get engaged then basically they'll get what a load of old well connected farts with vested interests want, which more than likely won't serve them well in the future. The rich get richer etc.....

Back to the OP......................

Seriously - what do you do when you live in Ken Clarke's neck of the woods? ....
We've got the same problem here. A young chinless wonder who now occupies John Major's old seat after Daddy contributed a shedload to the Conservative Party. No-one else stands a chance. I keep turning up and putting my x in all sorts of nice fellows' boxes, to no avail!

The subject comes up with tiresome regularity on Facebook where I spend some time - I've allowed myself to be drawn into discussion a couple of times and regretted it, so now whenever I see a post about the election/ party leaders, whether or not to leave the EU (I HATE that made-up word 'Brexit') - I post this.....cat nap.jpg

We've got the same problem here. A young chinless wonder who now occupies John Major's old seat after Daddy contributed a shedload to the Conservative Party. No-one else stands a chance. I keep turning up and putting my x in all sorts of nice fellows' boxes, to no avail!
I feel bad. I have no proof that his Dad bought him the seat, I am sure he is a perfectly nice chap. But the fact remains this is a true blue constituency and it makes one feel that democracy isn't quite democracy in this country with our voting system. Anyway, no more politics for me. I've been desperately trying to avoid the radio and TV since the election was announced, so if there are any more political threads I shall speedily shuffle past them!

I will be preparing for my two week summer holiday in BUG and praying that my other prediction doesn't come true.

Continue with life as usual and largely ignore the news/current affairs in general.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

..me..

Good morning people.

Election time for me means studying the map for places to disappear to even more intensely than I do now. It also means that I am keeping my running shoes on until June 9th. I know my feet will pong a bit by then but at least I have the means to run away from anyone who even threatens to start a political discussion.

As for this thread, it says "lighthearted" on the door, discussing politics can never be lighthearted, therefore we do not have political comment.

Back