Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Play in VW bike rack arms

F

FyfettBoy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,
Hope someone can offer some advice on an issue with the VW T5 rack.
I've been carrying four bikes on it, no problem, since we bought our 2014 SE 18 months ago. But last weekend we went away and the arms seemed loose with several degrees of play in them, particularly the longest 3rd arm.

When I mounted all the bikes, the 3rd (and 4th) didn't seem that secure - there was a lot of movement. Luckily we were only going 30 miles or so, but I didn't like the way the 3rd bike moved several inches in the mirror when going round roundabouts or traversing poor roads.

I don't remember this ever being a problem before!

I've scoured all the threads, and the only vaguely relevant advice was that you could tighten the arms by turning the knob.
Sure enough with no bike mounted, turning the knob all the way (clamp tight shut) the arm is rigid (no side-to-side movement), trouble is as soon as you unscrew it the play is back and tightening it against a bike frame doesn't have the same effect.

What am I missing? Help! Thanks.

Hi.

I had a similar experience I found the retaining nut that holds the arm on the bike rack had worked it’s self loose. Nut is located at the reverse end of the arm from the clamp I believe it has a lug that the nut needs to sit in, mine was above these and free thus allowing movement in the arm. After tightening (fingers crossed ) I haven’t had the issue since. My is a 13my T5 Cali. Hope this helps.

Thanks MickH I'll give it a try. Looks like the nuts are well engaged in the lugs from a casual inspection, though.