Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Please advise what this means

L

Lozza666marmite

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi , we are new owners. The battery was flat so we recharged it with power pack. Seems fine now, but when I went on the control panel. The display read ....see photo..... does this mean the battery is ok ? Or low ? Or something is draining it ? Though I have nothing switched on ? Many thanks in advance

6DF2E903-22B7-4490-8B34-E0308B9D6181.jpeg

Are you referring to the two symbols on the left? I think they indicate levels in fresh and grey water tanks?

And don't forget to charge the batteries at least once a month on EHU for 24hours
Is that official advice, or just good practice? My 6.1 will often be parked in a garage without EHU and charging monthly might not always be easy...

Is that official advice, or just good practice? My 6.1 will often be parked in a garage without EHU and charging monthly might not always be easy...

It’s official advice on here by some experienced users to avoid battery damage and one I stick to.

I’ve no garage or driveway so it’s an extension lead out from the house with a cone on top as a warning.

Others with a similar problem have gone the solar route.

Mike

Supplement for the T6.1 says at least 12 hours26CF7EA3-2EE8-4C40-8960-40B7F1DD184D.jpeg

Thanks. Does that mean if you DO drive the van, the battery will be charged by the alternator, negating the need to charge for 12 hours every 4 weeks?
It's been said that because of bluemotion, the alternator will not charge the batteries to 100%... I have no idea to the truth of this...

Hi , we are new owners. The battery was flat so we recharged it with power pack. Seems fine now, but when I went on the control panel. The display read ....see photo..... does this mean the battery is ok ? Or low ? Or something is draining it ? Though I have nothing switched on ? Many thanks in advance

View attachment 69740
Note that the display is for the two leisure batteries.
I’m guessing it was the engine starter battery that was flat & you recharged from a power pack?

Thanks. Does that mean if you DO drive the van, the battery will be charged by the alternator, negating the need to charge for 12 hours every 4 weeks?
No. The BlueMotion/Smart Alternator/Stop Start system will only charge to 80% capacity. But you can swap out the VW Split Charge Relay for a DC to DC Charger System to charge the Leisure Batteries to 100% when driving, or fit a Solar Panel which would charge to 100% when outdoors.

No. The BlueMotion/Smart Alternator/Stop Start system will only charge to 80% capacity. But you can swap out the VW Split Charge Relay for a DC to DC Charger System to charge the Leisure Batteries to 100% when driving, or fit a Solar Panel which would charge to 100% when outdoors.
Thanks. So that’s why vw want you to charge monthly, to get the leisure battery to 100%? Which is needed to extend the life of the battery?

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I believe the 6.1 has a boost charge option you can select in the control panel that will keep charging above 80%
Correct. Always useful to read the manual, despite it’s shortcomings.
E884E5E0-13F0-4E0D-92B1-C8B3D4E86D6B.jpeg

I believe the 6.1 has a boost charge option you can select in the control panel that will keep charging above 80%
So no need to swap out the Split Charge Relay?

Note that the display is for the two leisure batteries.
I’m guessing it was the engine starter battery that was flat & you recharged from a power pack?
Yes we recharged with a power pack . Does the display mean the two leisure batteries are low ? Do they recharge whilst driving ? What does the 4.4 mean ? As you can tell we are new !! I’m just concerned and don’t want to end up stranded somewhere cos we needed to change either the main battery or leisure batteries

We have a 2009 sport line 2.5tdi

that display means your fresh water tank and waste water tank are 1/3rd full. your engine is running , your batteries are 13.7 V and taking 4.4A from the alternator. the roof is closed and it's 12:38 PM.

image.jpg

1. This is the current voltage of your 2 leisure batteries. In this case its a normal, good number/value. If you want to know which values are normal (when on hookup, when driving or when using the batteries, search the forum.)

2. This is the amount of ampères that is going into your batteries. They are charging. If the number is proceeded by a '-' (i.e. when the number is negative) it shows how much ampères are being drawn from your batteries at that time. You'll notice this when for example you turn the heater on or the fridge, etc.

3. This tells you your alternator is charging your batteries. This appears only when your motor is running. The 4.4 A (shown at 2) is going into the batteries because your motor is running and so your alternator is running and powering the batteries.

4. This shows that your roof is closed. The symbol will change when your roof is opened.

5. This shows (often not very accurately) the amount of water in your fresh water tank

6. This shows the amount of waste water in your grey water tank.

Finally, a friendly and well meant word of advice. Please read it that way.
A lot of people on the forums here are very kind, knowledgeable and willing to help out with tough problems or easy questions alike. However, people tend to be more willing to help, if you show you have browsed the manual and/or searched the forums. Because this information can both be found in the manual as well as in the gazillion of older threads in this forum that make this forum so usefull. Much like an encyclopedia.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask more questions

Last edited:
Maybe it’s been mentioned but you can display the percentage battery is charged instead of time or instead of ambient temperature as central figure. You can do this by scrolling to display and then scrolling options. Best of luck.