Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Please check your dogs regularly for lumps.

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Sorry for the long story, just wanting to make others aware to check their dogs all over, regularly.
Peaches. My agility queen. Loves a tummy tickle. She rolled over for one in the middle of the night Friday / Saturday. As she is so fit and has such a strong core, as I stroked her (half asleep, middle of the night) I noticed one mammary gland had a mild ‘fat’ lump along side.
It was still there Saturday morning.
Saturday lunchtime I called the vet. Unfortunately their phones were not working (5 times I went from end of queue to first and then got bumped to the back again...), 40 minutes later I hung up.
Saturday afternoon I squeezed the teat near the lump. Initially it just looked a bit wet. But soon after some water squirted out. Massaging the lump and more water (clear, just like water).
Vets closed until Monday.
Monday morning, still a lump in the mammary gland. Gave the teat a squeeze to see if more fluid cane out. Blood. I squeezed again. More blood. I massaged the soft lump underneath, even more blood. Not discharge, not straw coloured or puss. Blood.
Emergency vet appointment for Monday evening. I couldn’t go in. Covid restrictions.
The lump is too small to take a needle sample for biopsy. The fact that there is blood gives hope it’s just a cyst that has burst. Antibiotics.
If anything changes (swelling or discharge) I need to see vet immediately.
Often these kinds of lumps in mammary glands are tumours. 40-50% are cancerous.
I am lucky, Peaches stomach is like a top athlete. I could immediately feel a small lump.
Just like humans, we need to check our dogs mammary glands on a regular basis for any lumps and also discharge from their nipples.
Fingers crossed for my agility queen.

CAC24AA2-7465-4EF5-88FC-11B83AB4F6DB.jpeg

B0BC6DFB-E8EF-468C-92DA-C2B756540D0D.jpeg

0BADC36B-AF24-422B-9B6B-EAAEC06969B9.jpeg

Sorry for the long story, just wanting to make others aware to check their dogs all over, regularly.
Peaches. My agility queen. Loves a tummy tickle. She rolled over for one in the middle of the night Friday / Saturday. As she is so fit and has such a strong core, as I stroked her (half asleep, middle of the night) I noticed one mammary gland had a mild ‘fat’ lump along side.
Saturday lunchtime I called the vet. Unfortunately their phones were not working (5 times I went from end of queue to first and then got bumped to the back again...), 40 minutes later I hung up.
Saturday afternoon I squeezed the teat near the lump. Initially it just looked a bit wet. But soon after some water squirted out. Massaging the lump and more water (clear, just like water).
Monday morning, still a lump in the mammary gland. Gave the teat a squeeze to see if more fluid cane out. Blood. I squeezed again. More blood. I massaged the soft lump underneath, even more blood. Not discharge, not straw coloured or puss. Blood.
Emergency vet appointment for Monday evening. I couldn’t go in. Covid restrictions.
The lump is too small to take a needle sample for biopsy. The fact that there is blood gives hope it’s just a cyst that has burst. Antibiotics.
I am lucky, Peaches stomach is like a top athlete. I could immediately feel a small lump.
Just like humans, we need to check our dogs mammary glands on a regular basis for any lumps and also discharge from their nipples.

View attachment 73229

View attachment 73230

View attachment 73231

How is Peaches today, Fiona?

How is Peaches today, Fiona?
She’s charging round the garden in the snow. She has no idea anything is wrong.
She still has a swelling in her mammary gland - just got to hope that antibiotics sort it out over the next week or so...

View attachment 73229

View attachment 73230

View attachment 73231

I hope all turns out well Allison.

Thank you for the heads up, most dogs develop lumps as they grow older and easy to overlook the one that is not "normal". My thoughts with you and Peaches x

I hope all turns out well Allison.

Thank you for the heads up, most dogs develop lumps as they grow older and easy to overlook the one that is not "normal". My thoughts with you and Peaches x
Indeed. And as these are retrievers, they are suscpeptible to fatty lumps as they get older - so I am quite used to checking them over and keeping an eye on an odd lump to make sure it’a not hard, painful or growing quickly... this seemed different due to location so decided an urgent vet visit was required - and vet agreed I did the right thing. Fingers crossed it goes away by itself...

IWO!
(I Want One!)
Haha, well if she comes through this I am hoping to have a litter with her. So depending when you guys head back south (I am right and thinking you’re currently NE Scotland?) you may be able to visit for puppy play date.

View attachment 73229

View attachment 73230

View attachment 73231
Best wishes, keep us updated as to how she goes on.

Hope all is well with Peaches.
We are taking Jack in for checks on lumps later this month.
He had a large lump removed a couple of months ago which has been monitored by the vet for some time but was getting considerably bigger, thankfully it turned out to benign. Due to his age, now 10 he has various lumps and bumps that a regularly checked and this new one on his chest is of concern

709D002B-601B-4CA1-ADD6-911F3503264C.jpeg

Last edited:
He had a large lump removed a couple of months ago which has been monitored by the vet for some time bit was getting considerably bigger, thankfully it turned out to benign Due to his age, now 10 he has various lumps and bumps that a regularly checked and this new one on his chest is of concern

View attachment 73328
What a star is he? Beautiful. Sitting on the chair like it is his thrown. I love that.

Fatty lumps in older dogs, not usually a worry if soft, unattached, no discharge and not growing / changing quickly.
But I’m not a vet so anyone concerned should call their vet.
I’ve dealt with many fatty lumps before, and sadly lost two Tollers to cancer (9 and 12 years old). So am hoping to raise awareness...

He had a large lump removed a couple of months ago which has been monitored by the vet for some time but was getting considerably bigger, thankfully it turned out to benign. Due to his age, now 10 he has various lumps and bumps that a regularly checked and this new one on his chest is of concern

View attachment 73328
Paws crossed for Jack

I was back at the vet on Monday as the lump was still there (albeit no bigger) and the vet recommended a wait and see approach.
Checking her last night I again had a bit of blood at the teat. So went to vet this afternoon. A different vet. He drained the fluid (keeping a sample to send for analysis) and once that was done could feel a pea sized hard lump. His recommendation is for a mastectomy of that one mammary gland / teat and send the lump for biopsy. This is now booked for end of next week.
She will be getting lots of cuddles and extra long walks in the meantime.
If all turns out fine, the vet says this should not stop me being able to breed from her later this year (which I am thinking of doing).
Will update when I know more and thank you for all the well wishes. She is currently charging around like her usual energetic self.

Lots of distance cuddles for here.
Believe me, she will be spoilt rotten for the next 7 days. She loves cuddles too (as does her brother) they usually are in competition to be on my lap watching tv. Blocking my view :D

Been a long day for Peaches. X ray looked okay. 4cms around the lump and the mammary gland sent away for histology.
Fingers crossed for a good outcome (will take 10 days).

EE492A92-D403-481F-A490-7E146F8FB3EC.jpeg

Been a long day for Peaches. X ray looked okay. 4cms around the lump and the mammary gland sent away for histology.
Fingers crossed for a good outcome (will take 10 days).

View attachment 74326
We wish her well.
We heard on Tuesday that a biopsy Bryher had undergone was thankfully benign.

Poor girl, she looks comfortable in her new bed, I’m sure she will be feeling better soon.

Poor girl, she looks comfortable in her new bed, I’m sure she will be feeling better soon.
I hope so - I got a good telling off from the vet for refusing a buster cone “that undoes all the work we have done operating on her”... she hasn’t moved at all since being at home...

Finger crossed for both of you, look like she loves her bed.

Last edited:
Our old Boxer is lumpy and bumpy. Recently had some surgery to remove some rather large lumps on his neck.

I hope so - I got a good telling off from the vet for refusing a buster cone “that undoes all the work we have done operating on her”... she hasn’t moved at all since being at home...
Hope you all managed to get some sleep and she feels a bit brighter today.

Hi
I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for her.
Looks like she has a very comfy bed to help her recovery.

Back