Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Please help to clarify regarding charging cycles

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am looking in to option to upgrade to a solar kit.

I am looking at the dual battery charging system.

I always thought that batteries have a defined life and maximum number of charging cycles they can receive.

So if the solar system is permanently able to charge the engine and leisure batteries, does this mean that the batteries are going to have a shorter life?

Or because the batteries are only being topped up by solar, is this better for the batteries?

I would guess the number of charging cycles will be a very rough number based on a precise theoretical calculation of full discharge and full recharge. In the real world where batteries will be charged at different rates and from different states of charge. I would expect the batteries to last longer when subject to trickle charging such a solar panels.

Indeed. The cycles they refer to are frro full to empty. Solar is mostly topping up. Same as your alternator really, which is topping up all your batteries every time you drive.

I think their use of "cycles" is a way for them to measure battery usage life. It's probably quite a complex formula.

I am looking in to option to upgrade to a solar kit.

I am looking at the dual battery charging system.

I always thought that batteries have a defined life and maximum number of charging cycles they can receive.

So if the solar system is permanently able to charge the engine and leisure batteries, does this mean that the batteries are going to have a shorter life?

Or because the batteries are only being topped up by solar, is this better for the batteries?
The Cycles are more a method of comparing different battery types and quality than something of practical significance in use.

Update.

I have just ordered dual panel, dual battery charging kit from Roger Donaghue.

5% VIP discount code applied.

Got it Alan, thanks. The dual chargers are due in Monday so you'll have everything mid week.

R

Yes, thanks. It's completely borked, even the admin. I'll let you know when its back up! I've ticketed the host.

Last edited:
:) It's backup now.

usual scenario, hoster blaming developer. Developer in a different time zone.

Back