Politics and Coronavirus poll result

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After putting up with numerous threads and posts on coronavirus and politics we think its time to draw the line as this is a vw california forum. There is far too much bickering going on i have set up a poll that will run until next sunday if its yes i will remove all and ban any further post about the subject if its a No i will remove this post and let you carry on.
Last time I looked, 'Yes' was about 70% and 'No' was about 30%.

Are we able to have a confirmation of the result?

Clearly it will take some time to implement the ban and for the removal of the offending posts and threads. Is there any idea of how long this will take? Already this morning there have been a series of confrontational posts in the "three cocks" section.

The three cocks is an unmoderated section.

White smoke will be pouring from the forum chapel chimney shortly.

After putting up with numerous threads and posts on coronavirus and politics we think its time to draw the line as this is a vw california forum. There is far too much bickering going on i have set up a poll that will run until next sunday if its yes i will remove all and ban any further post about the subject if its a No i will remove this post and let you carry on.
Last time I looked, 'Yes' was about 70% and 'No' was about 30%.

Are we able to have a confirmation of the result?

Clearly it will take some time to implement the ban and for the removal of the offending posts and threads. Is there any idea of how long this will take? Already this morning there have been a series of confrontational posts in the "three cocks" section.
Exactly where they should be.

Sounds fine to me. You can still chat about politics if you want, but if not, you don't have to. We can still discuss restrictions related to camping - so that's good too. Thanks moderators.

If politics is allowed but is relegated to the 3 cocks, the challenge will remain to stop members making political points about genuine Cali topics.

Eg: "how to handle pet passports post Brexit?". "how to safely shower on campsites post Covid?"
These are exactly the types of topics that have been polluted by members wanting to politicise by criticising Brexit or the Government's response to Covid.

In their own right, these aren't sensitive topics. Both examples can be constructively discussed, and good tips shared, without questioning the validity of Brexit of the handling of the lock down.

It just takes self control not to pollute the threads with your political opinion and to accept the political landscape as it is, not as you wish it were.

Once that first pollution has taken place, I'm one of the many who will jump in to offer my 'balance' to the political view expressed. And off it goes from there.

So the only hope is to stop the first politicising comment on non 3-cocks threads. Quite how that is achieved without "your comment is awaiting approval by a moderator", I'm not sure, but I hope the new rules being agreed today somehow manage to.

Last edited:
My personal opinion. For me arguing with strangers on the internet about politics is ultimately the most pointless way to waste time and wind yourself and others up and get nowhere. Those who enjoy these threads, ask yourself how many folks have ever convinced that their view is wrong and they've changed their view? Its just shouting into the void, like the old Monty Python sketch.

It detracts from the otherwise friendly and welcoming nature of this forum and from the spirit of the Cali community. I wouldn't miss it, or reading the reports.

Any inappropriate comments in the wrong area can be reported as usual.

Last edited:
If politics is allowed but is relegated to the 3 cocks, the challenge will remain to stop members making political points about genuine Cali topics.

Eg: "how to handle pet passports post Brexit?". "how to safely shower on campsites post Covid?"
These are exactly the types of topics that have been polluted by members wanting to politicise by criticising Brexit or the Government's response to Covid.

In their own right, these aren't sensitive topics. Both examples can be constructively discussed, and good tips shared, without questioning the validity of Brexit of the handling of the lock down.

It just takes self control not to pollute the threads with your political opinion and to accept the political landscape as it is, not as you wish it were.

Once that first pollution has taken place, I'm one of the many who will jump in to offer my 'balance' to the political view expressed. And off it goes from there.

So the only hope is stop the first politicising comment on non 3-cocks threads. Quite how that is achieved without "your comment is awaiting approval by a moderator", I'm not sure, but I hope the new rules being agreed today somehow manage to.

Once the rules are clear any hijacking of perfectly valid subjects that you describe will be dealt with, and it would also be helpful if members used the report button so we can get to it quickly.

My personal opinion. For me arguing with strangers on the internet about politics is ultimately the most pointless way to waste time and wind yourself and others up and get nowhere. Those who enjoy these threads, ask yourself how many folks have ever convinced that their view is wrong and they've changed their view? Its just shouting into the void, like the old Monty Python sketch.

It detracts from the otherwise friendly and welcoming nature of this forum and from the spirit of the Cali community. I wouldn't miss it, or reading the reports.

Any inappropriate comments in the wrong area can be reported as usual.

I actually agree and I cant help but respond to them.

Now kept strictly to the one section and away from the main areas I believe they will die out.

Mike

I actually agree and I cant help but respond to them.

Now kept strictly to the one section and away from the main areas I believe they will die out.

Mike

Something I have noticed before. The most vitriolic threads, with dozens of postings a day, tend to fizzle out once they are no longer coming up on the new posts feed.

Something I have noticed before. The most vitriolic threads, with dozens of postings a day, tend to fizzle out once they are no longer coming up on the new posts feed.
Yes, that Beach vs. Ocean punchup never fails :D

Coast has H7 headlights rather than LED, so still some mileage on that topic.

Gearboxes are all now DSG so no fun to be had on the manual vs DSG debate.

Once the rules are clear any hijacking of perfectly valid subjects that you describe will be dealt with, and it would also be helpful if members used the report button so we can get to it quickly.

I’m still unsure what a “thread hijack” is. It was barely discussed in the poll thread which asked a very specific question.

Would it be fair to conclude that the poll was hijacked from its original purpose, or would that be a fatuous remark?

I’m still unsure what a “thread hijack” is. It was barely discussed in the poll thread which asked a very specific question.

Would it be fair to conclude that the poll was hijacked from its original purpose, or would that be a fatuous remark?

Where a post is made that deviates a topic away from it's oriiginal route to discuss other issues. Normally not harmful and normally tolerable provided things return to topic quickly but in this forum we have had a number of threads diverted not for innocent, funny or informative comments but with a context that allows the thread to become a political, and inevitably heated, discussion.

I think it is like when HCs thread turned into
the chicken run. Although it did get a bit scrambled
it was pure poultry in motion.
HC saw it and then it all eggs splawded.