Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poll - California 180 Bi-Turbo 2010 to 2011. Oil Consumption

Only 2010 and 2011 registered Californias with 180 Bi-Turbo CFA engines.

• Milage LESS than 40,000 miles Oil Consumption 2000 miles or LESS / Litre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Excess Oil Consumption confirmed by VW and engine replaced at no cost.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This is a fact finding Poll to gather some evidence regarding the excessive Oil Consumption found in the California 180 Bi-Turbo engine. Only vehicles registered in 2010 and 2011 are affected and apparently a fix was introduced sometime in 2011.
This problem affected all variations of vehicles fitted with this engine but Commercial vehicles were mostly identified during their warranty period as symptoms of excessive Oil Consumption normally occurred around 40,000 to 50,000 miles. VW knew of this problem and the fix was a replacement engine and ancillaries.
However Californias often do not cover the same annual milage as a commercial T5 and may not reach the trigger milage until well outside the 3 year Warranty period.

Reactions: wyn
It would seem that this excessive Oil Consumption Topic is not that widespread amongst California Owners!

Well it would seem that this is not a widespread problem as there have only been votes from 3 owners so far.

Widespread issue or not, and it is as the garage at Trier Germany had replaced numerous engines. The point is the invoice to correct on the affected vans is £8000 plus, and as each month passes VW will offer less and less goodwill due to age.

I suspect that those owners of the POTENTIALLY impacted engines have 2 trains of thought:
1) ignore the problem, hope it never occurs, think happier thoughts
2) worry about the problem, and hope it doesn't become an issue that blights the resale value of their vans. They realise the more it's publicised, the more their van's value will be hit.
Neither would suggest a high response rate to a survey..........

To BerndRos.
I understand your frustration with VW, but it would be nice to have information regarding the extent of the problem, because it did not affect every engine of the type mentioned. Also, it would appear that the 180 was not a common choice for California owners, and those owners have yet to reach the mileage that this problem rears it's head.

I suspect that those owners of the POTENTIALLY impacted engines have 2 trains of thought:
1) ignore the problem, hope it never occurs, think happier thoughts
2) worry about the problem, and hope it doesn't become an issue that blights the resale value of their vans. They realise the more it's publicised, the more their van's value will be hit.
Neither would suggest a high response rate to a survey..........
But that is it exactly. There is very little information about this problem on the web. In fact BerndRos is only the 3rd confirmed case I can find.
In fact there are more Vauxhall Zafiras that have caught fire than 180 T5's with this problem, a lot more.

That's what owners should do then. Enjoy their vans.

I imagine most buyers of the potentially affected vans will want to find out if VWCS extend any offer of goodwill only to the original buyer OR to subsequent owners as well. That's an important issue for a buyer to have the answer too.

You're only polling the dozen or so regulars here who take part. How many of them actually run a bi-turbo?

You're only polling the dozen or so regulars here who take part. How many of them actually run a bi-turbo?
Well I hope those who have answered the Poll have. 6 responses so far, 3 low mileage, 3 high mileage and of those 2 have had this problem.
It would seem that not many members have 2010/2011 Bi-Turbos so the Poll will not be very helpful.

Well I hope those who have answered the Poll have. 6 responses so far, 3 low mileage, 3 high mileage and of those 2 have had this problem.
It would seem that not many members have 2010/2011 Bi-Turbos so the Poll will not be very helpful.

Hi Welsh Gas,

I have only just caught up with this thread and note that the poll is now closed. Nevertheless thought I should provide my feedback.

I am the second owner of a 180 DSG, first registered 16.05.2011. Total mileage to date about 43,000 and so far as I have been aware no excessive consumption of oil to date.

So it would seem that my vehicle build is likely to fall within the period when the reported manufacturing inadequacies were taking place and although I'm not having any oil consumption problems at the moment I could hit these problems some three or more years down the line (we only did 3,000 miles last year and about 5,000 the year before that). By that time there is n chance of any "goodwill" gesture available from VWCS.

All rather worrying, but I can't believe that there is anything sensible to do about it except to try to forget I ever came across this thread and stop worrying.

Cheers

Hi Welsh Gas,

I have only just caught up with this thread and note that the poll is now closed. Nevertheless thought I should provide my feedback.

I am the second owner of a 180 DSG, first registered 16.05.2011. Total mileage to date about 43,000 and so far as I have been aware no excessive consumption of oil to date.

So it would seem that my vehicle build is likely to fall within the period when the reported manufacturing inadequacies were taking place and although I'm not having any oil consumption problems at the moment I could hit these problems some three or more years down the line (we only did 3,000 miles last year and about 5,000 the year before that). By that time there is n chance of any "goodwill" gesture available from VWCS.

All rather worrying, but I can't believe that there is anything sensible to do about it except to try to forget I ever came across this thread and stop worrying.

Cheers
I too have a March 2011 registered 180 Manual, now with 26,000 miles. I cover some 4-5k miles a year.
I missed the poll, otherwise would have added to this. I have no problem with oil consumption as yet.
I can't help thinking if it's just a question of time before this problem raises it's head. In a pink and fluffy world VW would contact owners and offer an engine replacement based on (a) they know there is a problem. (b) they know it's only a question of time/mileage before the problem manifests itself. (c) it's the correct and moral thing to do bearing in mind the cost of the vehicle.
Of course they won't pay until the problem manifests itself.
All I can do is wait, when the problem arises deal with it. Promise myself never to buy a VW and promise to tell as many people as possible...
Sorry, tired of large companies riding roughshod over client base...
In my business you get it wrong you put it right!

I also missed the poll.
I have may 2011 180 biturbo. Has done 34500 miles & uses oil but not at the rate the others with this problem. Cali does not get used that often now as I bought a smart fortwo as a run around.
Am keeping an eye on consumption.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I had also not seen this poll, and have a 2011 180 with 28k on the clock. It has recently had a single surprise thirst for engine oil... so far a one off. The poll was not up for long, and the choices a bit limited... how about a forward tracker where we can register ownership of risk vehicles and then see what develops?

I have a 2011 180 Bi turbo with just over 56,000 miles on the clock. We have just returned from a trip to Corsica, 2400 miles in just over a fortnight, including four days cruising at motorway speeds and the remainder mainly below fifth on winding mountain roads.
Having read earlier posts in this thread I checked the oil level before and after the trip only to find that it had barely changed about 5mm at most.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Was the poll constructed with the "acceptable" oil use limits defined by VW? (which clearly wouldn't be acceptable to any one in the real world)

I ask because wyn (above) stating he needed to top up (perhaps) 5mm on the dip stick after 2500 miles still sounds a lot to me, but I suspect it is no where near the trigger point for VW even listening to you.

Would it be better to see how many of us actually top up between services at all, vs those to whom it has become a habit?....or something similar.

I had an interesting conversation with the service manager at the Edinburgh Van Centre today about this. I was keen to get more info on exactly how widespread this issue is and what the remedies might be. He told me they have only ever had one engine that had needed to be replaced from the several hundreds (I guess) of Transporters, Calis and Caravelles they sold during 2010/11. They've only ever done five oil checks too.

So he was saying that it's certainly not a widespread issue. He also said it seems to be completely random (which I can't quite get my head around). So if your van has an issue you're just very, very unlucky.

My oil light came on intermittently last week and so I asked about getting an oil check done. The service manager pointed out that top-ups between services are completely normal and so I'm just going to monitor oil usage instead. (I must admit I hardly ever check the level between services).

If you check the manual it says that it's normal to consume up to 1 litre per 2000km (1200 miles). So Wyn's 5mm isn't anything to be concerned about.

If you check the manual it says that it's normal to consume up to 1 litre per 2000km (1200 miles). So Wyn's 5mm isn't anything to be concerned about.

I understand that it may not be a direct concern, but it is far more than my own experiences would indicate as normal. It is rare for me (with my measly 102hp) to top up between services.
I wondered if a debate around frequency of top ups would be more illuminating than seeing who has triggered VW's assessment of trouble.

I have an April 2011 180 DSG and I've had absolutely no use of oil in the past year. We used it as our only vehicle for a few years prior (never had any oil usage problem) and mileage is up at 53000 now. We've just come back from a 2600 mile trip around Europe and again, no oil usage is evident.

I wasn't worried unduly about this and I do wonder what the purpose of soliciting opinion in such an unscientific manner was to achieve? (other than perhaps affecting resale)

Whilst I'm on the topic of anecdotal evidence, I've searched & asked the question in the other T4/5 forums and had little response. I've also asked at two VW independents, both of whom stated they haven't seen any issues with 180 units made during this time over those from any other period. I also consulted the local dealer who also weren't aware (but to be fair, that doesn't entirely surprise me). I'm not questioning the fact that this has occurred, just that it doesn't seem to be quite as prevalent as some would suggest (somewhat oddly many of those don't appear to own the affected models)

So, I'll not lose much sleep over this and suggest others try to do the same - enjoy your vehicles folks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sincerely hope you are right guys!
No problem with my April 2011 with 26,000 miles.
If it is mileage dependent I won't know for a few years yet....
Fingers crossed
:)

My reason for posting was that I was not concerned by the amount of oil consumed after my trip. A drop of 5 mm equates to far less than the normal range of oil consumption quoted in the handbook and is certainly less than used by other vehicles I have owned.

As I am unsure even as to whether my van falls within the range of potentially affected vehicles I will continue to check oil levels during and after any long trips, but will not let it detract from enjoying Cali life to the fullest.

Before the Cali we had a Brazilian T2
Danbury conversion and enjoyed trips to Brittany, the Dordogne and the French Alps even when we had to carry a 1gallon can o Morris 20/50 oil with us in order to check and top up every other day!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back