Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Poor Gas Burner Pressure

G

Ghilliechief

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
HI,
Ive noticed in the last couple of month when I have attempted to light the gas hob in my Cali T6 that the gas pressure appears very weak. I assumed that the cylinder was nearing empty , so I replaced with a new refill from my caravan shop. I explained to the chap my symptoms who said that butain gas does struggle at temperatures below 10 degrees. With the new refill I still struggle to ignite the stove having to resort to using a lighter and can only get enough gas to use one burner at a time and on full heat there's hardly a flame.
Am I missing something? Could it be a faulty regulator or is it an ambient temperature thing. Do I need to insulate the gas cylinder?
Please advise, Im confused!
Regards
Sean

HI,
Ive noticed in the last couple of month when I have attempted to light the gas hob in my Cali T6 that the gas pressure appears very weak. I assumed that the cylinder was nearing empty , so I replaced with a new refill from my caravan shop. I explained to the chap my symptoms who said that butain gas does struggle at temperatures below 10 degrees. With the new refill I still struggle to ignite the stove having to resort to using a lighter and can only get enough gas to use one burner at a time and on full heat there's hardly a flame.
Am I missing something? Could it be a faulty regulator or is it an ambient temperature thing. Do I need to insulate the gas cylinder?
Please advise, Im confused!
Regards
Sean
Have you had the water tank filled?
Personally I’ve not had a problem in winter when camping but the water tank is filled, acts as a good insulator, and the Parking Heater is used a lot. In fact I just leave it on when camping and just vary the temperature to our needs.

i suppose it could be the regulator playing up but I would wait for warmer weather before changing that as it is more likely to be the ambient temperature at present.

Where your fairly up north so to speak I’m sure the weather is a bit chillier than down here so that could be your problem with the gas or you have a lazy regulator

Cheers. Tried both, Im up in Fife, temp around 6, /7 degrees. Are they prone to regulator issues?

I was using my 907 bottle outside with the cadac
a few weeks ago, the temp was minus and the bottle
was left outside all night, the following night it was cold,
like about 4 degrees and the cadac burnt with a good flame, so
i wouldn't think that a low temp would be the issue.
Probably the regulator.

What is the over night temperature ? The gas bulk maybe colder than the daily temp if its a small differential. Butane wont vapourise around 3 deg c. Try warming the tank , if the problem goes that is the problem. Propane is the answer or keep the tank warmer somehow, appreciate propane not that easy in a cali.

I use the cali a lot in the winter months, found using a hot water cylinder cover stuffed around the gas bottle helped a lot before I swapped to propane for winter.

thanks one and all.
its a new gas refill and the only thing between the burner and the gas bottle is the regulator, so I've ordered a new regulator through vw.it has to be the reg!

thanks one and all.
its a new gas refill and the only thing between the burner and the gas bottle is the regulator, so I've ordered a new regulator through vw.it has to be the reg!
You also have a gas isolation valve located at the top of the left hand corner of the kitchen unit that is between the regulator and the burner

I have had many nights where temperature has dropped well below freezing and the gas hob has not been affected at all.
As suggested check ALL taps are fully open and if they are ok it must be the regulator.

Regulators sometimes stick, a sharp tap with something like a rubber mallet sometimes frees them up and you get normal operation for a bit. However in my experience once they start sticking your better off replacing them. Do check also the valve under the sink as suggested above.

I've seen this before. It was the regulator that time.

My burners started doing this. And then went back to normal. Any ideas

20200926_103924.jpg

View attachment 66919
Yellow flame, normally an indication of poor combustion related to poor air mix due to dirty burner. Not normally anything to do with supply. Dismantle and clean and dry the burner.

Yellow flame, normally an indication of poor combustion related to poor air mix due to dirty burner. Not normally anything to do with supply. Dismantle and clean and dry the burner.
Cheers. I'll clean them out. Do they come apart easy

View attachment 66919
Watch out for any yellow flame, especially that yellow. This indicates that combustion us poor, as per Welshgas, and that the flame contains a lot of soot and carbon monoxide. Inside an poorly ventilated van that flame will kill you! Carbon monoxide has no smell and no taste, you will start to feel sleepy, may be a headache, drowsy then when you go to sleep you never wake up. Suggest you have a carbon monoxide detector fitted.

Watch out for any yellow flame, especially that yellow. This indicates that combustion us poor, as per Welshgas, and that the flame contains a lot of soot and carbon monoxide. Inside an poorly ventilated van that flame will kill you! Carbon monoxide has no smell and no taste, you will start to feel sleepy, may be a headache, drowsy then when you go to sleep you never wake up. Suggest you have a carbon monoxide detector fitted.
Cheers but I dont tend to sleep with the burners on. I'm going to clean them out and swap the gas bottle

I’d say blocked injectors. Leading to bad burn of the gas. flame goes yellow and floppy when it’s searching for oxygen. Gives off sing loads of carbon manoxide
Was it both burners that were floppy and yellow or just the one ????
One was worse than the other but both seemed to be playing up. I'll have a look at them when home as away at the mo. Then setting out again tomorrow before heading to looe

One was worse than the other but both seemed to be playing up. I'll have a look at them when home as away at the mo. Then setting out again tomorrow before heading to looe
If both burners are playing up I’d guess at the regulator playing silly buggers,if it was just one of the burners then I would have thought it could have been a problem with the burner itself

Update. I cleaned out the burners and changed the gas bottle. I think the low pressure was the issue but I never saw the burners do that before when the gas was low. Anyway all is good now. Thorne boat yard sorted me out again.
Edit I not long since changed the regulator so I'd be peed if that was faulty already. I dont think these regs lasting at all

Back