Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top bed slats

P

Polomint

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Recently lifted the pop top mattress and noticed one of the bed slats had bowed. When we sleep up top we have heads at the low end and the slat which has bowed is where our shoulders lie. Anyone else had this happen? Is there a way of straightening it, the van is still under warranty.

Recently lifted the pop top mattress and noticed one of the bed slats had bowed. When we sleep up top we have heads at the low end and the slat which has bowed is where our shoulders lie. Anyone else had this happen? Is there a way of straightening it, the van is still under warranty.
To be honest, i thought that all the slats are slightly bowed upwards. Has someone turned this slat over?

Last edited:
I will, didn’t know you could just do that. Thankyou

Slightly different query… just about to replace top mattress for Spring( keep indoors over winter re mildew) and the slats are really dirty, black dust and needed cleaned. Have left them to completely dry out before putting mattress up.
Is this just dust coming through over winter ?

Slightly different query… just about to replace top mattress for Spring( keep indoors over winter re mildew) and the slats are really dirty, black dust and needed cleaned. Have left them to completely dry out before putting mattress up.
Is this just dust coming through over winter ?
Sounds as if you shut the roof with the bed area damp for it to develop mildew - never had an issue and the mattress remains in place for all seasons.

Sounds as if you shut the roof with the bed area damp for it to develop mildew - never had an issue and the mattress remains in place for all seasons.
It wasn’t mildew on the slats it was dust. We remove the mattress over winter to avoid mildew on the mattress

The ‘drying out’ part was as I’ld just cleaned the slats of the dust.
The reason we remove the mattresses ( both top and bottom) is that the van is not used for other than day trips in winter and daily use and others ( on this forum) had suggested mildew can be an issue if you don’t remove them.

Back