Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top roof leak

A

angconcerts

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
I have a leak coming from corner in the front of the passengers side of the pop top. When I pull the plastic opened open I’m leaving the canvas down to dry and everytime it rains fresh water and drips come in. Seems to be from that one side. Anyone had any experience with this? Thanks in advance

There are two roof drains hidden at the front corners of the roof which often clog and must be unclogged in a very specific way to avoid pulling off the drain hoses which run down the inside of the windshield (also known as "A") pillars. I've included the link as there has been quite a bit of discussion on the forum about this. Happy reading, and hope this is the solution to your leak.
On the Ocean, this drain is under a plastic cover, which must be removed for the tiny drain hole to be visible. I see you have a Beach. On the Beach, which does not have a hydraulic roof mechanism, there is no plastic cover. The drain hole is visible if you know where to look (see pics in the link).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever sort this? I seem to be having the exact same problem. Link to my thread below. My drains aren't blocked.

Same for me. The roof liner is ruined, and even the seats are damp when left too long in the rain.
This drainage system is really bad...

Heavy rain on Saturday night and my roof seems to be leaking, the worse part seems to be just where the struts for pushing the bed up, it the pic the rain seemed to be running down the outside of the canvas then coming through the stitching along the black beading partly the bottom, have had some comments that the roof needs a waterproofing spray, I was tempted to use the spray for my soft top but it is for canvas, think my 2019 Cali is nylon? Any help on a spray? Drains aren’t blocked.

92673B7D-4BDB-4A23-9DC0-383FCFAF24AF.jpeg

Heavy rain on Saturday night and my roof seems to be leaking, the worse part seems to be just where the struts for pushing the bed up, it the pic the rain seemed to be running down the outside of the canvas then coming through the stitching along the black beading partly the bottom, have had some comments that the roof needs a waterproofing spray, I was tempted to use the spray for my soft top but it is for canvas, think my 2019 Cali is nylon? Any help on a spray? Drains aren’t blocked.

View attachment 66281
Did you get this problem resolved? At the moment we’re on Orkney and I’ve a leak exactly the same spot. Driving wind and rain of course but I’ve never experienced this before.

Did you get this problem resolved? At the moment we’re on Orkney and I’ve a leak exactly the same spot. Driving wind and rain of course but I’ve never experienced this before.
Mine has done this a couple of times in heavy prolonged driving rain. I think there is just a limit to what the canvas can cope with. The rest of the time it has been fine.

Thanks for that. It looks like the seal is not doing it’s job. As I said it’s never happened before butI’ll get it to the dealer once the seemingly perpetual stops.

Thanks for that. It looks like the seal is not doing it’s job. As I said it’s never happened before butI’ll get it to the dealer once the seemingly perpetual stops.
Mine was actually bleeding through the material, so it may be a different cause.

Hi, never got it sorted out it, I did buy Nikwax but haven’t applied it, still leaks in heavy driving rain so we have started using a waterproof thermal wrap in bad conditions. (Often in Scotland). Might try the spray once it’s out of warranty if we still have it.

Hi, never got it sorted out it, I did buy Nikwax but haven’t applied it, still leaks in heavy driving rain so we have started using a waterproof thermal wrap in bad conditions. (Often in Scotland). Might try the spray once it’s out of warranty if we still have it.
Are you sure it’s not condensation cold alloy produces water

100% not, it was only on the metal because it ran down there with gravity, I stopped posting about this issue as people were getting quite aggressive in their opinion on this matter on the club FB page. Only replied to someone’s direct question here.

We’re in Scotland at the moment and are having exactly the same problem. Rain leaking through the front pop, dripping all over the driver seat. Very odd, it doesn’t seem right to me. Ours is a new T6.1, everything else is perfect. We will speak to the dealer when we get back.

We’re in Scotland at the moment and are having exactly the same problem. Rain leaking through the front pop, drippin all over the driver seat. Very odd, it doesn’t seem right to me. Ours is a new T6.1, everything else is perfect. We will speak to the dealer when we get back.
Currently in West coast Scotland and We have just found the exact same problem on oiur 6.1 ocean. Water coming in from the front pop top. Lying in the lefge and wet in drivers seat. Did you get anywhere with the dealer? Thanks.

Currently in West coast Scotland and We have just found the exact same problem on oiur 6.1 ocean. Water coming in from the front pop top. Lying in the lefge and wet in drivers seat. Did you get anywhere with the dealer? Thanks.
I know the west coast of Scotland very well and the rain is relentless with driving rain,I can’t see any tent canvas holding up to that environment probably best getting a topper or sleeping down stairs in bad weather

I know the west coast of Scotland very well and the rain is relentless with driving rain,I can’t see any tent canvas holding up to that environment probably best getting a topper or sleeping down stairs in bad weather
I agree 100% with what you say. You really can’t expect the roof canvas to hold back all the rain. It’s a VW California NOT a submarine. Every so often we waterproof the canvas which helps a lot but in constant driving rain nothing will stop some water getting through. In weather like that you either put up with getting a bit wet or just drop the roof down, at least you have that option but could be a bit willy wonka with 4 downstairs.

Every time a roof leak issue comes up, it will help to do an analysis of what is causing the issue.

IMO, there can be two cases

a) where the roof is closed

When the roof is closed, the seal at the ends (sides and front) of the roof is supposed to seal the pop top. This stops water ingress. If water comes into the cabin when the roof is closed, it is only the roof seals that are not seating properly and hence allowing water ingress. there is nothing else that can cause a leak. Nothing to do with the drains. The drains are secondary. The seals have to stop the water.

In this situation, check that the roof seals are seating properly. Ensure that the roof seals are well lubricated and maintained in a supple state. Use Gummi Pflege or any such stuff to ensure that rubber seals are well maintained. Clean the seals regularly. Also clean the areas where the seals sit. Anyone with a convertible will understand how much maintenance is required to maintain the waterproof-ness of a convertible (same as a pop top).

b) when the roof is open

Now when the roof is open is where there are further two possibilities for water ingress.

1. The canvas - it will absorb water ... and waterproofing helps to an extent, but not much. It has its limits. If it is the canvas that is letting in water then:
- either use an external pop top cover, or use an internal waterproof liner which will keep the water out. This will take care of the water entering from the canvas.
- if water is entering from the stitching around the canvas roof, use any tent canvas waterproof sealer around the stitching and you will be fine.

2. Water pooling/Clogged drains - only in case the roof is open, are the drains required/come into play. In this case, if you have water ingress, you will see a pool of water right up front within the grooved area and that will tell you that the water drains are clogged. Remember, if the roof is closed and there is water ingress - first look at the pop top seals and the alignment of seals.

Hope this helps in analysing the issues that all have with leaking poptops. Others, please add if I have missed anything.

We did 5 weeks in northwest Scotland with no topper, and the roof didn’t leak, only some spray from the vents if there was high wind. But this is with a T5.1.

2012 T5.1 Beach - never had an issue with water leaking thru seems. Canvas gets damp like any other tent, but we fitted an internal ISOTOP to prevent wicking to bedding.

Prior to this owned 3 x conversions all +20 years old. The roofs never leaked but they were all manual.

Take it back to the dealer, a leaky roof tent is not fit for purpose. maybe the Electric roof puts more of strain on the seams?

2012 T5.1 Beach - never had an issue with water leaking thru seems. Canvas gets damp like any other tent, but we fitted an internal ISOTOP to prevent wicking to bedding.

Prior to this owned 3 x conversions all +20 years old. The roofs never leaked but they were all manual.

Take it back to the dealer, a leaky roof tent is not fit for purpose. maybe the Electric roof puts more of strain on the seams?
The fabric changed starting with the T6, as some shocked owners discovered when they were told by fellow campers that their night time activities were basically taking place in a fish bowl.

The fabric changed starting with the T6, as some shocked owners discovered when they were told by fellow campers that their night time activities were basically taking place in a fish bowl.
Its changed again for the T6.1 as it's a lot thicker / darker now.

Take it back to VW. We had a similar problem back in 2018 in our 2017 Cali whilst visiting Denmark. When we got back to the UK the dealer (Birmingham VW Van Center) replaced the pop-up Canvas without argument but you could feel they were not that keen to do this work. Its quite a big job but you should push for replacement if they argue. All the best.

Hi, I don’t have a leak but was wondering about a wee puddle I’ve found when cleaning the van. I always lift the roof to clean debris etc and check the rubber seals and found this. (see pic ) It’s at the front passenger side corner.
Our van sits on a slight angle in the driveway but didn’t think would be the cause. Any ideas ?

6A46DB4B-8DE7-4817-9D7F-CFB1C0FB974D.jpeg