Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top roof

G

Glenn Blundell

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
I've recently posted a thread about a small issue with our hydraulic pop top roof sagging after its been up a day or so and got a lot of very good advice.
We had a real issue with it this Morning. When I tried to close the roof as normal,the roof didn't fully close on the passenger side ( the same side it sags ).
The whole roof was out of line and it's ended up putting a small crease in the side of the roof, on the bottom edge, about a third of the way along from the back.
The van is still under warranty but I really don't know if this will be covered?
I opened the roof straight away and we then closed it very slowly,to see if it would shut properly. It doesn't close straight and is on an angle, which is obviously the reason for it being out of line when shut?
I've phoned the VW dealership and they won't comment or get in any parts until they see it. They can't see it until the 20th September.
Has anyone had this happen and can the crease be fixed or does it mean a new roof?
I have not even done 5000 miles yet and had it back and forward to the dealership,,without resolving the sagging roof but this is a whole new issue.
So disappointed with the after service.
Thanks very much.

IMG_20220822_115129_resized_20220822_115402188.jpg

We had a real issue with it this Morning. When I tried to close the roof as normal,the roof didn't fully close on the passenger side ( the same side it sags ).
The whole roof was out of line and it's ended up putting a small crease in the side of the roof, on the bottom edge, about a third of the way along from the back.

Any time you get a problem like this you should be calling VW Assist, if they break it they fix it, also gets you pushed to the front of the queue at the dealers.

Yours is not the first van to have this happen & I'm sure it won't be the last.

If you search for Sagging roof, you should find the threads from others in a similar situation.

Hi,
I've recently posted a thread about a small issue with our hydraulic pop top roof sagging after its been up a day or so and got a lot of very good advice.
The van is still under warranty but I really don't know if this will be covered?
I opened the roof straight away and we then closed it very slowly,to see if it would shut properly. It doesn't close straight and is on an angle, which is obviously the reason for it being out of line when shut?
I've phoned the VW dealership and they won't comment or get in any parts until they see it. They can't see it until the 20th September.
Has anyone had this happen and can the crease be fixed or does it mean a new roof?
I have not even done 5000 miles yet and had it back and forward to the dealership,,without resolving the sagging roof but this is a whole new issue.
Thanks very much.
The crease in the aluminium roof is not unheard of and is normally a result of the canvas getting jammed in the “scissor“ mechanism. I recall some time ago someone posting that they removed the crease by clamping a couple of bits of wood and flattening the crease. Bash away at VW first though!

The crease in the aluminium roof is not unheard of and is normally a result of the canvas getting jammed in the “scissor“ mechanism. I recall some time ago someone posting that they removed the crease by clamping a couple of bits of wood and flattening the crease. Bash away at VW first though!
Thanks very much for your help. I just wondered why the roof was closing on the slant?
I bought a thermal liner that is really thin material from campervan bits. It's made by Brandrup and wondered if it's anything to do with this?
it cost me over £500.00 and it's a bit of a coincidence, as I fitted it in this weekend. It really didn't look like it created any extra tension and as I said the material is really thin. I may post something about this too, just to see if anyone has experienced a problem.

Thanks very much for your help. I just wondered why the roof was closing on the slant?
I bought a thermal liner that is really thin material from campervan bits. It's made by Brandrup and wondered if it's anything to do with this?
it cost me over £500.00 and it's a bit of a coincidence, as I fitted it in this weekend. It really didn't look like it created any extra tension and as I said the material is really thin. I may post something about this too, just to see if anyone has experienced a problem.
I had the same liner. If you are careful lowering the roof and ensure it is folding properly (you must have the Brandrup front window open) it shouldn’t be a problem. VW may well use this as an argument not to cover the damage under warranty, might be worth removing it!
Also with the Brandrup fitted I found having a bungee helped ensure the canvas was folding the correct way.
The only time I had a problem was when the canvas at the front (above screen) went the wrong way and folded itself out, above the windscreen. Following that I always pulled the front canvas/stiffener gently inward whilst dropping the roof.

Any time you get a problem like this you should be calling VW Assist, if they break it they fix it, also gets you pushed to the front of the queue at the dealers.

Yours is not the first van to have this happen & I'm sure it won't be the last.

If you search for Sagging roof, you should find the threads from others in a similar situation.
Ouch @Glenn Blundell !!
Any evidence of the roof canvas being trapped in the scissor mechanism as suggested by @ArunAlec ? If not that is unlikely to be the cause.
Are you sure nothing was left ‘upstairs’ when lowering the roof? Or that nothing was interfering with the scissors?
Is the thermal liner fitted correctly?

If all of the above is OK then perhaps it has to be a faulty electro/hydraulic system? ie. Drivers side being pulled down in opposition to the passenger side. Is that possible? Mind you, i’d expect the crease to be convex rather than concave in that scenario.

Good luck with VW and please keep us posted.

I had the same liner. If you are careful lowering the roof and ensure it is folding properly (you must have the Brandrup front window open) it shouldn’t be a problem. VW may well use this as an argument not to cover the damage under warranty, might be worth removing it!
Also with the Brandrup fitted I found having a bungee helped ensure the canvas was folding the correct way.
The only time I had a problem was when the canvas at the front (above screen) went the wrong way and folded itself out, above the windscreen. Following that I always pulled the front canvas/stiffener gently inward whilst dropping the roof.
Thanks very much, yes the one I bought has a fully removable front section, which I did unzip and remove before I closed the roof. The canvas did fold in too but the whole roof was on a slant. I didn't know this was happening the first time and this is when the roof creased. I will definitely take it out before it goes to VW.
cheers

That's awful - can only imagine how gutting that must feel.
I agree with @ArunAlec above and suggest you remove all trace of the isotop, as VW will undoubtedly use that as an outer. Check the canvas and the isotop for scissor damage. If there is no damage, then you have good grounds on which to fight VW. Have you checked the canvas for damage?

I agree with @ArunAlec above and suggest you remove all trace of the isotop, as VW will undoubtedly use that as an outer. Check the canvas and the isotop for scissor damage. If there is no damage, then you have good grounds on which to fight VW. Have you checked the canvas for damage?
Thanks very much, I will give it a proper good look over and feed this back if I find any damage to the canvas. Dreading opening it again, as I could have cried this Morning.

Thanks very much, I will give it a proper good look over and feed this back if I find any damage to the canvas. Dreading opening it again, as I could have cried this Morning.
Just a thought, but you do have a door or window open when lowering the roof eh? Without somewhere for the air to escape to, the canvas can/will puff out and potentially get trapped. Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, just wanted to check.

Ouch @Glenn Blundell !!
Any evidence of the roof canvas being trapped in the scissor mechanism as suggested by @ArunAlec ? If not that is unlikely to be the cause.
Are you sure nothing was left ‘upstairs’ when lowering the roof? Or that nothing was interfering with the scissors?
Is the thermal liner fitted correctly?

If all of the above is OK then perhaps it has to be a faulty electro/hydraulic system? ie. Drivers side being pulled down in opposition to the passenger side. Is that possible? Mind you, i’d expect the crease to be convex rather than concave in that scenario.

Good luck with VW and please keep us posted.
Thanks very much,
I am confident I've fitted the Isotop exactly as instructions and followed a YouTube video too, which was 30 minutes long and very in depth.
nothing left in the bed section ( I always do a double check ).
Made sure the 2 front doors open too.
Bed was down too.
I've also checked the canvas for any sign of damage and nothing.
For some reason the roof now closes on a slant and lowers on the drivers side first.
I'm at a loss but it looks like faulty hydraulics to me.
I think sometimes the more gadgets you have, the more hassle.
Cheers for your reply, much appreciated.

Just a thought, but you do have a door or window open when lowering the roof eh? Without somewhere for the air to escape to, the canvas can/will puff out and potentially get trapped. Not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, just wanted to check.
Thanks for your reply,
yes I did all the normal stuff, checking the bed was down, nothing left up there too, windows open and the canvas has no damage, inside or outside.
roof now closes on a slant, the passenger side is the lower bit.
I am at a bit of a loss. Can only think it's the hydraulics?
Cheers for your help.

Thanks very much,
I am confident I've fitted the Isotop exactly as instructions and followed a YouTube video too, which was 30 minutes long and very in depth.
nothing left in the bed section ( I always do a double check ).
Made sure the 2 front doors open too.
Bed was down too.
I've also checked the canvas for any sign of damage and nothing.
For some reason the roof now closes on a slant and lowers on the drivers side first.
I'm at a loss but it looks like faulty hydraulics to me.
I think sometimes the more gadgets you have, the more hassle.
Cheers for your reply, much appreciated.
Sorry, the roof slopes towards the passenger side when closing now.

Thanks for your reply,
yes I did all the normal stuff, checking the bed was down, nothing left up there too, windows open and the canvas has no damage, inside or outside.
roof now closes on a slant, the passenger side is the lower bit.
I am at a bit of a loss. Can only think it's the hydraulics?
Cheers for your help.
Hope you find decent dealer that is on your side.

Thanks again. I've checked the canvas and fortunately it has no sign of any damage. I had a good look at the roof coming down and when it's fully up, it appears okay but as it's lowering down, it is higher on the drivers side. I can only assume its the hydraulics or something has twisted?
Thanks again.

As you say the roof has been sagging, I’d think that will nail the issue being hydraulics.

The only time I’ve observed a wonky roof is when we lowered it on uneven ground (no levelling ramps).

The best of luck getting it sorted by the dealer. Our vans must be a very similar (young) age, so I know how you will be feeling. Please update this thread with the outcome - it will be helpful for others.

Hi Glenn, have a look at the posting from Robbox2 on August 2. There are some brilliant photos from the chap from Ireland of his roof problem. If you were to substitute my van for his, the photos would be same. He was in France, hot weather, I was in Cornwall, heatwave when problem occurred. There is a real problem with the roof system on T6.1 Oceans. Some say it’s a bad batch of pumps. Maybe. I’m not so sure. I think VW have a major problem on their hands. As for my own van, come tomorrow it will have been in for repair for 4 weeks. To say I am disillusioned with the whole business would be an understatement. On an £85000 van it’s just not good enough. Oh, and sympathies for your own predicament.

I’ve now read your previous posts and I really don’t think you have to worry about the repair not being covered by warranty. You had the van in twice before for a saggy roof to be looked at and you have photos. Don’t worry about it. It’s a warranty job. All I will say is don’t expect to get it back in a hurry. Apparently they need a special frame to work on the roof, for the safety of the technicians, and to protect the van from damage. In my case that alone took two weeks to arrive

Hi,
Thanks very much.

View attachment 98213
We had the same problem with our T6 while in Morocco. Started sagging and would not come down evenly. So I pushed up against it while my wife activated the button. Got it down successfully and took it to a VW dealer in Spain where the faulty hydraulic ram was replaced under warranty. So far with 20.000 kms on the clock it is the only fault we have had. Haven't been able to use our van for three yrs due to covid travel restrictions from NZ however we are about to be reunited in Amsterdam in two days time to travel up to the top of Norway.

Hi,
Thanks very much.

View attachment 98213
Had terrible problems with the hydraulic roof on a 2019 Ocean - in for 3 months and took them 4 different motors before it was fixed. Handed it back and got my money back and bought a Beach Camper - nice big bed (bed is too small in the Ocean in my opinion (how many people normally sleep in what is effectively a single bed!) , manual roof (that you can rely on), I can take out my modular fridge and Vangear sink too making the van so much more practical. The problem with the California electric roofs is that you never know if they are going to work! Can'y believe that quality control at the VW factory would have released 4 faulty pumps but if this was the case I hate to imagine how many are out there in new vans from the same supplier.

Yes, I've had the same issues with the Brandrup liner (it's been there since new in 2008!). I found that you don't have to unhook it to lower the roof, but you do have to stretch up (or stand on the front seat) and yank the front of the roof and liner in, when it's lowering. Unfortunately, I discovered this too late, and the canvas pointed outward and got trapped, resulting in yet another split I had to repair.

Similar issue in our 2016 T6 Ocean. We spent all of June in France in the hot weather. At the start of the holiday the roof worked normally. By the end, the passenger side of the roof went down slower than the driver’s side when we closed the roof causing it to bend. Fortunately it did close properly. In July the van was checked over by Breeze in Poole (our local dealer). We were told that we needed two new hydraulic rams as the pressure in them wasn’t correct. The rams were fitted but due to the increased pressure now in the system the seals in the hydraulic pump blew as well, so we ended up having a new pump too. Fortunately we’d taken out an extended warranty so it’s all been covered under that so I understand.

I notice that there have been several postings about roof issues. Could this be anything to do with the extreme heat this year and two years of little roof opening activity due to Covid?

The hot weather certainly caused a terminal issue with our original VW 2016 vintage awning. The heat welded seam running across the fabric unwelded itself in the hot sun. Now replaced with a Thule awning with no seam.

Back