Pop top wind loading

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all

Currently camping at Pulruan Cornwall, and it’s quite windy gusting at 16/23 mph anyone advise upon allowable tolerance for the pop top bellows. As it not mentioned in the manual.
Thanks

Hi all

Currently camping at Pulruan Cornwall, and it’s quite windy gusting at 16/23 mph anyone advise upon allowable tolerance for the pop top bellows. As it not mentioned in the manual.
Thanks
Tail into the wind and if you are thinking about it then lower the roof. Some have survived high winds but it depends on so many factors. The Ocean/SE has stronger struts than the Beach but a more expensive repair.

I camp in Snowdonia about 20 miles south west of Capel Curig all the year round and in winds up to 70mph+.
I use the BBC weather app as a guide. As @WelshGas says the important thing is to get the tail of the van into the wind so it goes over the roof. On the weather app if the expected wind speed is shown in a white circle with an arrow I have been OK. If they are in black I generally don't chance it, or am ready to lower the roof in a hurry. It's the sudden gusts that are dangerous, especially from the side.
If you do have to lower the roof in a hurry make sure you open a window or door on the downwind side, then put your head into the roof to watch the sides folding inwards as you lower it. When you get to half way down it is a good idea to have a walk around check so a torch is needed.
This is only a guide, but it works for me. With the weather app the rainfall, etc may be wrong due to local factors, but the wind strength has generally been fairly close. If the wind is from the side or gusting from different directions you have to be a lot more careful. As WG says, if you are thinking about it and are concerned, lower the roof carefully.
Simon

Has anyone ever had any damage to the roof due to wind? I don't recall seeing anything.

I would have thought theres more risk trying to put the roof down in the wind than leaving it up.

Agree with tail into wind theory and remember you can always drive it to change position with the roof raised.

Agree with tail into wind theory and remember you can always drive it to change position with the roof raised.

You will have to put your fingers in your ears as all the alarm warnings go off though.

You will have to put your fingers in your ears as all the alarm warnings go off though.
I always have my earplugs with me.
Never had to really lower my roof because of the wind.
Couple of times I lowered for not wanting the canvas become soaking wet due to heavy rain or thunderstorm.
Once there was a heavy wind, and my Cali topper was making excessive noise, but I didn't lower the roof, because of the topper. I didn't want to take the topper off in that wind.
Never had any damage because of the weather, so unless it will be a very, very windy day/night, you can leave the roof up. In case you don't have a good feeling about it, just lower the roof. And indeed be carefull for the canvas!!

Well thanks all for your advise particularly WG and SimonB, well the weather is looking considerably worse on Saturday as it’s 44mph. Bring on summer.

If you don't use the BBC App, other Apps are available, this is how the wind strength is shown.
20190807_170711.jpg
This is described as 'gusty winds from the SSW' in mph, so could be lower than this for a lot of the time. But if I was in an exposed spot I would probably lower the roof and sleep downstairs. Like the others I don't remember reading about anyone who has has their roof damaged, but there was one person I read about who passed a Cali after a particularly windy night with the roof all bent to one side. It's not a £200 tent that you can easily replace, it is a few thousand pounds probably, and you have to get the Cali home somehow.
Just not worth the risk for me.

Same thread but what are recommendations with separate awning attached via kalar strip?

Same thread but what are recommendations with separate awning attached via kalar strip?

I'm afraid I don't use a drive away awning, but I imagine if they are fixed down well with guy ropes, etc and the wind out awning it is fixed to is secure you would be OK. But it would depend on the wind direction relative to your structure.
Not heard of a kalar strip, I would think the figure of 8 kador strip would possibly pull out if the wind was too strong.

If you don't use the BBC App, other Apps are available, this is how the wind strength is shown.
20190807_170711.jpg

Whatever forecast app/site you use, make quite sure you know whether you're looking at mean wind speeds, or maximum gusts. Apps vary in what they show.

That's really important because gusts will typically be twice the steady/mean wind speed, and that involves an 8-fold difference in potential damage (because wind energy increases with the cube of the speed... physics, init).

Personally I think about sleeping downstairs if it's forecast to be above about 25mph mean speeds or 40mph gusts, as above that it can get a bit buffety in the upstairs. Although I suspect the pop top can withstand a lot more without serious damage.

My roof comes down when gusts of 50+ are forecast.

I have survived a really nasty storm that was not expected but I would not want to do it again. Frankly there is nothing more miserable than lying awake all night stressing over what can or might happen and the problem with wind and pop tops is that once the wind is there and the pop top is raised then the option of lowering it is not a pleasant one.

I think its safe to say, at least in the UK don't have your roof up this weekend. 60mph + gusts.

I experienced 45+ once and it broke the poptop on my old camper.

So we are all heading for Ford Nuggets due to climate change? Huh, the worst thing, it is so ugly but of course can stand strong winds.

So we are all heading for Ford Nuggets due to climate change? Huh, the worst thing, it is so ugly but of course can stand strong winds.
Unless it driving over an exposed bridge in a gale when it may be stopped as it has become a high sided vehicle.

Does using a solid external topper (ie rainbow screen) make the bellows more robust in wind? And mitigate against damage? And is it the bellows fabric at risk in wind (ie solid topper will help) or the structure itself and metal frame that can get bent (ie solid topper may not help). We have a Cali on order so interested, but have no experience yet. Thx.

Does using a solid external topper (ie rainbow screen) make the bellows more robust in wind? And mitigate against damage? And is it the bellows fabric at risk in wind (ie solid topper will help) or the structure itself and metal frame that can get bent (ie solid topper may not help). We have a Cali on order so interested, but have no experience yet. Thx.

I wouldn't have thought so, still the same area of fabric and it will be a nightmare if you want to take it of in wind.

I was at a VW event when the weather turned unexpectedly stormy and I was reluctant to try bringing the roof down as the wind blew into the van when I opened any door. Lots of damaged and/or collapsed awnings in the morning buy my pop top was fine.
I didn't have the wind-out awning out, that's definitely not very robust in high wind.

Tail to wind whenever possible.
Unfortunately because the Caravan and Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club both insist (Rigorously) that for insurance/fire risk reasons you nust park face in or face out with one corner next to the white post this does not allow you to "safely" park tail to wind whic might be at an angle across the pitch.
So safety rules sometimes create risk!

Tail to wind whenever possible.
Unfortunately because the Caravan and Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club both insist (Rigorously) that for insurance/fire risk reasons you nust park face in or face out with one corner next to the white post this does not allow you to "safely" park tail to wind whic might be at an angle across the pitch.
So safety rules sometimes create risk!