Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up top - waterproof?

MelanieW1

MelanieW1

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I can see that there are "jackets" available to pop over the pop up tops. I can understand doing this from a warmth point of view but surely the canvas (or whatever it is made of) is waterproof or is a jacket essential?
Thanks, Melanie

The bellows canvas will allow water in if rubbed from the inside when wet on the outside, same as a tent. Otherwise mine has never let water in apart from high winds blowing droplets through the air vents.

"Toppers", which fit over the top, effectively act similar to a flysheet with a tent, protecting the inside from water ingress via capillary action if inadvertently rubbed against, and also, and for many more importantly, it has an insulation benefit.

Not essential. I have one to keep things a bit warmer, a bit darker and to keep canvas dry if I'm going to be in a position where I can't raise a wet roof to dry it. We all have different needs, there are those who street park or have restricted height (me).

Mike

The other approach is to fit an internal liner, both Brandrup and Comfortz (via the club shop) sell them. These have the advantage that once fitted they are left in the roof all the time. The disadvantage against an external topper, which has to be fitted and removed each time it is used, is that they don't provide external protection for the bellows and the roof mechanism. A quick search on this site will soon show advocates of both types.

I can see that there are "jackets" available to pop over the pop up tops. I can understand doing this from a warmth point of view but surely the canvas (or whatever it is made of) is waterproof or is a jacket essential?
Thanks, Melanie

In terms of being essential, in 4 years of camping summer and winter I have not regretted not having one.

I can't speak for the T5 but the water repellency of the roof on the T6 is excellent. We haven't felt the need for a topper yet and we have been out in some terrible weather.

Hi Melanie,
Whilst not essential, I would recommend an internal liner for the following reasons:
1. It will keep the upper bed area and the rest of the van warmer in the winter months.
2. It cuts down draughts.
3. It keeps the upper bed area darker.
4. It keeps the upper bed area as dry as a bone.

Once fitted you can forget it. These internal liners are a very good fit and IMO are a worth while accessory.

We also have an external topper but only fit it if the weather has been forcast as being very wet and windy. If I were asked which type to choose from I would definitely go for an internal liner.

What ever you decide good luck with your new Cali.

Thanks, Melanie
The roof canvas is waterproof as any canvas tent. Can you dry the roof canvas at home, by raising roof, before extended roof closure. If so then not essential.
NB. any roof material should be dry before extended roof closure to avoid mold.

The answers have been given above , i have a topper and not always put it on but glad i got it anyway.
If you are camping in very cold weather and rainshowers it does give a lot more comfort.

I use an external topper, primarily to keep the roof canvas dry. I don't like the idea of having a damp canvas sandwiched between the roof liner and the mattress with the risk of staining and a damp bed. My only gripe with the topper is that it's a fairly heavy duty material which means it can be a bt of a struggle to get on/off. I would like to see a light weight one made of tent material.

We're in our 7th year of ownership. We have a topper but it's extra faff and we rarely used it. We've been in torrential extended rain and yes the canvas wall gets a bit damp, but really nothing terrible! If it's cold with the top up when we're sat in the van (as it was in Northumberland for us over Easter!) we have the bed in the down position and sealed off with the shutter. With the heater on we're toasty in no time. When it's time for bed we scamper upstairs and use a v warm duvet - soon we're toasty again!

Having said all that, reading all the reviews on here I could be tempted by an internal liner :)

Hi Melanie,

I too have the Comfortz internal liner, and I wouldn’t be without it, its a superb piece of kit. It keeps the cold out and the warmth in, and still allows for ventilation. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.....

The best bit beyond doubt is that its the classic ‘fit and forget’ item. Once in, you can leave it in situ. The roof will fold down happily with it in place, which for me made it the deal-breaker. When I fitted it on a very hot day, the temperature noticeably became cooler in the roof area, which was very welcome. And similarly, when camping in the cold, the temperature up top stays warm as the liner retains the heat.

So apart from anything, this really means you can camp all year round, with the pop top up, and have an even, comfortable temperature throughout the van.

Oh, and its a very pale grey (almost white) in colour, so makes the van much brighter on the inside, but also keeps the daylight out, so you don’t feel like you’re sleeping in a tent when sleeping upstairs, in other words, no 4am sunlight waking you up!

All in all, it's without doubt the best accessory I've bought for the van, I’d almost go as far as saying its almost essential!

We don't have either internal or external and camped all throughout the winter 2016. Saying that we are thinking do we need one and are still undecided. With the weather improving slowly at the moment you can probably leave it a few months to decide I would wait and see how it feels.

One question I did wonder about is, do external toppers keep the top cool if it's hot?

..message ends..

We bought an external topper as an insurance policy for north of Scotland/v.grotty weather (=), but actually when it does get very blowy we just sleep downstairs. It wouldn't bother me now if we didn't pack the topper.

If there are more than two of your travelling and you have to use the pop-top in all weathers, it's a different use-case. Then I would probably seriously consider the internal type.

Teejay, I'd be extremely surprised if an external topper kept the van cool: apart from anything else they are mostly dark colours, and they would inhibit air flow.

It would be handy if VW just upgraded the material they make the roof from to something, waterproof, breathable and insulating so nobody had to faff around like this!

Compared to the top notch multilayer high tech materials used on modern convertible cars the canvas on a Cali is more like a throwback to the 1960's.

I use an external topper, primarily to keep the roof canvas dry. I don't like the idea of having a damp canvas sandwiched between the roof liner and the mattress with the risk of staining and a damp bed. My only gripe with the topper is that it's a fairly heavy duty material which means it can be a bt of a struggle to get on/off. I would like to see a light weight one made of tent material.

I am about to order a T6 but wonder if theres anyone who makes waterproof canvases in something other than grey? I really cant be bothered with toppers in the rain, especially when other roofs are waterproof- but less easy to use.

I am about to order a T6 but wonder if theres anyone who makes waterproof canvases in something other than grey? I really cant be bothered with toppers in the rain, especially when other roofs are waterproof- but less easy to use.
If you mean roof bellow, I think VW do them in other colours, I have seen red.

If you mean roof bellow, I think VW do them in other colours, I have seen red.
I have been told by Premium Campers that the new ones are waterproof and come in grey black red and blue. Can anyone confirm this or actually got one?

On the basis of this thread and others, we are opting for an internal topper after our first few nights away. It was quite nippy up top (even with 3 season sleeping bags and thermals) and we found it difficult to heat up there with the internal heater. Problem is if you have heater on too high, those downstairs are then too hot!

I wouldn't be without our internal topper. Fit & forget. If we only ever had two sleeping in the van we could probably do without, but with four sleeping in the van we don't get the option of leaving the roof down & all sleeping downstairs.

Considered both internal & external topper.
It was cold when we recently camped but we were warm & toasty with our new vango aurora double sleeping bag. So will hold off buying for now.

It's just two of us ,so always the option of the downstairs bed. We love the roof bed ( our room with a view),always the preferred option :)

HI everyone - Does the internal Cali Cozy prevent the 3 x upstairs LED lights on a 2016 T6 Ocean being utilised? I did email the shop but no response yet..... Thanks Mo!