Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable heater for Beach?

C

cosmiccampers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Our beach doesn't have a heater (try finding one this summer that has - it was one of our 'must haves' that we just couldn't find, so we'll retrofit in due course, once we've saved up again!). In the meantime any recommendations for a portable one - there's a few on the shop site but no reviews. We're off to Pembrokeshire soon but not on hook-up (but intend to drive around, thus charging the leisure battery) so looking for one that's reasonably energy efficient. We're not running anything else off the leisure battery other than the built in lights. Weather looking cold and damp :(Thank you!

Our beach doesn't have a heater (try finding one this summer that has - it was one of our 'must haves' that we just couldn't find, so we'll retrofit in due course, once we've saved up again!). In the meantime any recommendations for a portable one - there's a few on the shop site but no reviews. We're off to Pembrokeshire soon but not on hook-up (but intend to drive around, thus charging the leisure battery) so looking for one that's reasonably energy efficient. We're not running anything else off the leisure battery other than the built in lights. Weather looking cold and damp :(Thank you!
I would be very surprised if there are any 12v heaters that are worthwhile and that wouldn't flatten the Leisure battery pretty quickly.
All of the heaters on the Forum Shop site use Mains 240v apart from the Parabolic Gas Heater which shouldn't be used inside a vehicle in my opinion.

12v heaters won't really work very well and will hammer your leisure battery sadly.

I would personally not recommend a gas heater unless its got an external exhaust. The portable ones are good for taking the edge off but not really for prolonged and especially not for use inside.

We have a Webasto STC2000 diesel and its absolutely superb, fitted after market and a half day job. Planar are now doing diesel heaters that are really affordable. Well worth a look.

Just to clarify the comments above, the beach three pin 240v socket, in the van, only works when on hook up so you can’t use a 240v heater, unless on hook up, 12v will not be viable as it will kill the lesuire battery very fast.

I would doubt you will need a heater, before Autumn, night time temps will not be too bad, take appropriate clothes for the forecast and take sensible bedding and you’ll be fine in the van without night heat

I got one of the kampa ones (240v) but reckon any small one from Homebase etc would be ok

12 v Heater would not work - more jumpers, hats better idea
Better idea again, 2 Beagles are toasty hot water bottles :) we haven’t needed to use our heater yet

Thank you all. Really helpful as ever. I had forgotten the 240v doesn’t work without hook up - doh! Hot water bottles are a great idea!

I don’t think you have much choice if you are not on hookup. Looks like a hot water bottle and a good quality sleeping bag Is about your only option. Unless you want to pay a couple of grand for a Diesel heater...

Back