Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable Inflator

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi can anyone recommend a good portable inflator that does tyres, air beds, footballs etc. I recently purchased an Air Hawk Max (Like an electric drill design) but sent it back as the quality was not that great for the £60 price. Also I had to hold the connection onto the wheel otherwise air escaped.
I like the idea of having something that works either connected to the van 12 volt supply or using its own battery without the need for a 12 volt cable.

John, in my experience, if you get a battery operated one, the first few times it will be charged and work, but later on, when you need it in a hurry, it will not have charge. Nothing more frustrating than that.

Check out Halfords, for Michelin tyre inflators. They are good. Check out the attachments - if they meet all your needs.

I have had a Ring 12v inflator for years: totally reliable, does tyres, airbeds, awnings if you can find the right adaptor,

I blew up mine, fitting on top of the car battery. Looking for sth more decent, and as compact.
35056-5f839f9fc45d627f151cb3454ed978f9.jpg

I use the one that came with the van instead of a spare
wheel.
Its loud though, really loud.

I had a Kampa one whihc we also used for an air beam awning. It was OK but loud. It didnt seem loud daytime, but arriving late on site it seemed deafening! We have a manual pump now...

John, in my experience, if you get a battery operated one, the first few times it will be charged and work, but later on, when you need it in a hurry, it will not have charge. Nothing more frustrating than that.

Check out Halfords, for Michelin tyre inflators. They are good. Check out the attachments - if they meet all your needs.

I agree about Michelin Inflators!
First class lasting product

I have tried 3 different 12v inflators without long term success. As I needed to inflate tyres to 80psi, I invested in a Joeblow Sport III cycle pump. It does everything (but slowly) including wonders for your biceps.

VIAIR supply a range of portable compressors, price reflects max pressure obtainable.

VIAIR are widely used in vehicles as a compressed air source for Air Suspension Systems. I have one which gives 200PSI for my Bilstein Air Suspension.

Example of a base portable (available from other sources)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CDW2MCM/?tag=eliteelect-21

I’ve had viair vehicle mounted compressors on all my previous overland vehicles they are excellent but not cheap.
As a portable I currently carry a T-Max

Some years ago I bought a combined rechargeable 12V power boost pack/air inflator from Maplins.

Sadly Maplins is no longer with us, but you might consider the benefits of carrying around a similar unit.

It has come in to its own many times....fellow motorists with a flat battery, and even one occasion when visiting IKEA and have some youths find joy in letting peoples car tyres down.....I was thanked by several motorists too on this occasion.

This has worked great for me and is packs up very tidy

This has worked great for me and is packs up very tidy

Seems what I'm looking for. Do you have sizes?

If I had the choice again I’d probably get the more expensive digital version

If I had the choice again I’d probably get the more expensive digital version

Thx! Perfect, dimensions of my previous one (fitting above the car battery). Digital, for more comfort?

Thx! Perfect, dimensions of my previous one (fitting above the car battery). Digital, for more comfort?

Digital because it has a light, and it's not much more money.

The only negative about the one I have, is that you have to push the 12v plug socket in quite hard and I can't tell if it's working without pressing the button on the Tyre Inflator which means leaving the vehicle and then trying again till it's on. I assume (but don't know 100%) that the light would come on the digital version so I can tell it's working without pushing the button.

You need one that feed direct from the battery, via the ‘cigar lighter’ doesn't carry enough amps.
As ever £££ gets you what you need.

You need one that feed direct from the battery, via the ‘cigar lighter’ doesn't carry enough amps.
As ever £££ gets you what you need.

The one I listed works absolutely fine on everything I’ve used it on, my Father has the same one too and used it on his many vans.

Most of the 12v ones on amazon from Halfords & supper
armet are not very good, my 12v looks generic available everywhere, has wild claims but not much good beyond 3.5 bar, will replace it with Ryobi their small version as I have several battery & a 12v charger, the larger Ryobi compressor can do air beds etc.

I also have a Ring 12v one which has been very good.

Can anyone recommend a mains-powered one, though? I'm almost always topping tyres up right outside my garage door, where I have a mains plug, and a mains one would be more convenient at home. But I don't want a great big expensive thing designed for tyre workshops...