Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable toilet for beach

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks, struggling to find a definitive answer in old threads. Can anyone recommend the best solution for a portable toilet for a beach? Space is premium with kids on board. Looking really for emergency only solution and the odd wild camp. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks, struggling to find a definitive answer in old threads. Can anyone recommend the best solution for a portable toilet for a beach? Space is premium with kids on board. Looking really for emergency only solution and the odd wild camp. Cheers!
We carried a pop-a-loo around Scandinavia with us for ten weeks (two adults and two children). Never used it. We used toilets on campsites, peed against or behind hedges during rest stops, and on the occasional wild camp, dug a hole, burnt used paper in the hole, then filled it in before we left.

We carry a plastic urinal and a multi use bucket which can be lined with a plastic bag.

Have a look at the Bivvy loos on carplife products website. We use one as an emergency back up as it packs pretty flat. It takes disposable biodegradable bags and you use sachets of absorbent gel for No 1s if needed.

Thetford Porto potti Qube 335. Brilliant, compact, doesn't smell or leak (like some cheap versions) and its like a proper little toilet with a warning red indicator when it's getting full! You can also get a official Thetford carry bag for it so can keep in in the back all the time. Use it with proper Thetford chemicals and toilet roll and it's easy and effortless to clean. Very happy with it.

+1 for the Thetford 335. It is bigger than a bunch of disposable bag thingies (which I have used in other contexts) but not too huge and as Mark says is extremely practical and, I'd guess, will be pretty kid-friendly.

And just to add, you don't HAVE to use use the Thetford bog roll or chemicals. I run ours on a combo "Top and Bottom" fluid (https://www.olproshop.com/products/bottom-and-top-plus-toilet-fluid-rinse) which works perfectly well and means just one bottle to carry. I'm sure you can use pretty much any of the other toilet fluids without problem if you need to buy more on the road.

Of course, if you can find any sort of bog roll in the shops at the moment, count yourself lucky! :headbang :veryfunny

Thanks all really useful. Will have a good think. Plan is the Cali might soon become an escape pod and having a means to use a toilet means we can be flexible.

Have a look at the Bivvy loos on carplife products website. We use one as an emergency back up as it packs pretty flat. It takes disposable biodegradable bags and you use sachets of absorbent gel for No 1s if needed.
+1 for the Bivvy we’ve never used it but it’s there for an emergency. Packs down really well.

+1 for the Bivvy we’ve never used it but it’s there for an emergency. Packs down really well.
We have the bivvy loo and the qube 335. The bivvy loo is for absolute emergencies, but to be honest, with kids who need the toilet "RIGHT NOW", the qube is so much better (and dare I say it,.more luxurious) and there's no getting rids of wee bags, or worst still, poop bags immediately. Qube, flush it, forgot about it until u get home. The bivvy is basically just a foldable bucket with a bin bag and costs £50 and £1 a bin bag (expensive wees). Your in a £50k camper, treat yourself to the Qube :)

Thanks guys, just a stupid question possibly but how and where do you empty a chemical toilet like the Thetford 335? Can you just tip down the loo? And how stronger stomach do you need!

Thanks guys, just a stupid question possibly but how and where do you empty a chemical toilet like the Thetford 335? Can you just tip down the loo? And how stronger stomach do you need!

I was exactly the same, and thought, it's going to be completely gross, smelly and make me :sad, but amazingly, it's easy 'pee'sy :) (see what I Did there :talktothehand
The chemicals basically bio degrade all your no 1s, Betty boos and special toilet paper (DONT USE STANDARD toilet paper, get bio degradable toilet paper, you wouldn't want any nasty blockages - it doesn't have to be Thetford though)

It just unclips, you turn the nozel, press an air button (to avoid splash back) and empty down the toilet or a campsite special waste place.

It amazingly comes out like the chemical you put in (I use Thetford, not sure what others are like). It doesn't smell (apart from chemical smell), no nasties and then just wash with water, refill again and then your good to go for another 10 litres of toilets breaks. It does state don't just fill it up and leave for months on end so l try and fill before I go out for a day or two and you wouldn't want to really leave any waste in there more than a a few days.

If you don't want it left in the camper at night and cannot be bothered walking ages at night for a toilet break if there an on the other side of the campsite, you can get a pop up tent for about £20 that the qube fits in nicely (and this can also be a shower & changing area!)
Screenshot_20200319-073529_Chrome.jpg

As you can see, I have done loads of research on this. It was my biggest bug bear when buying a Cali not having a toilet with kids, but we survive happily, now and then there's the Amazing app "where is a public toilet" which is absolutely brilliant, so we are never caught short.
Screenshot_20200319-075537_One UI Home.jpg
Let's face it, four people travelling around eating and drinking in a campervan are going to need the toilet, a lot, it's a given. When there's no public toilets and when you got to go, you got to go and the qube is absolutely perfect and stops you all hunting around desperately looking for a toilet :).
The bivvy is ok, which we used for 6 months, but it's just basically a foldable £50 bucket and a bin bag and DOESNT have a lid, (great if your fishing, camping or on your own in a campervan) but with no lid with kids, is let me tell you, not a good recipe. The bivvy is back to basics emergency toilet stop, the qube is 'luxury' compared.

It must be a mental thing, but when you have a toilet available immediately, you find you don't actually need it that much and can wait for a public one.

Enjoy your adventures!

A snapshot of the 'Where is public toilet' app
Screenshot_20200319-073336_Where is Public Toilet.jpg

Last edited:

No use the campsite chemical toilet disposal site.
we don’t have one so can’t advise re a strong stomach but guess it’s not a pleasant task someone on here will be able to tell you.

We eventually bought a porta potti 335 (or equivalent at the time) years ago and have never regretted it. They are so reliable and easy to use and remove the nagging doubt of ‘where to go’. The emptying process is just something one gets used to. After all, you’ve produced it! We always use the Thetford products as they are designed for it and contain lubricants etc to ensure all the moving parts work well. It is an excellent piece of kit.

No use the campsite chemical toilet disposal site.
we don’t have one so can’t advise re a strong stomach but guess it’s not a pleasant task someone on here will be able to tell you.

Campsites will want you to use their chemical disposal points, which are easy to use anyway and I don;t find it particularly unpleasant.

But on a short trip with just two of us I usually end up emptying it down the loo back at home. I'm not an expert on septic tanks but I think the chemicals are not harmful to the tank bacteria, in the quantities you'll be putting in.

After emptying at home I give both halves of the unit (the 'seat' part and the tank part) a brisk hose down in the garden and let them air dry, then put some fresh chemicals in if I'm expecting to go away again soon, or leave it empty in winter so it won't freeze.

Thanks all really useful think I’ll take the plunge and go for one. Just as a note the standard blue Thetford chemical has formaldehyde in it. I have some experience working with that from laboratories. It’s pretty brutal stuff. Probably not great for septic tanks, but as others have said in small quantities might not matter. I’m therefore inclined to go for the the greener chemicals. Not sure if anyone has experience of using the more natural versions?

Cheers all what a great community this is. Currently dreaming of spring summer trips in the van locked in working at home!

Thanks all really useful think I’ll take the plunge and go for one. Just as a note the standard blue Thetford chemical has formaldehyde in it. I have some experience working with that from laboratories. It’s pretty brutal stuff. Probably not great for septic tanks, but as others have said in small quantities might not matter. I’m therefore inclined to go for the the greener chemicals. Not sure if anyone has experience of using the more natural versions?

Cheers all what a great community this is. Currently dreaming of spring summer trips in the van locked in working at home!

Aquakem Green is the less aggressive option. Still made by Thetford.

I've been thinking along very similar lines, I think it's going to be important to be able to get away with the kids for a night or two and enjoy the countryside.

How big is the 335 in terms of van space? Will it fit under the 3 seater Beach multiflex?

I'm thinking single nights away mainly, head out, ride bikes around, cam for the night and head home and empty toilet (assuming it's been used!).

How big is the 335 in terms of van space? Will it fit under the 3 seater Beach multiflex?

Not very big. It fits very comfortably under the rear shelf on an SE/Ocean (which is the equivalent of the Multiflex on a Beach, but maybe someone with a Beach can verify). The footprint is 342 x 382mm.

For those with an SE/Ocean, it also fits neatly in the under-sink cupboard - some people might say "Ew" to that, I'd personally be happy to store it there as it doesn't smell, although we find it easier just to carry it in the back of the van and keep the 'kitchen' area for kitchen stuff.

I've been thinking along very similar lines, I think it's going to be important to be able to get away with the kids for a night or two and enjoy the countryside.

I'm thinking single nights away mainly, head out, ride bikes around, cam for the night and head home and empty toilet (assuming it's been used!).

I have one of these for my beach. Its expensive but keeps its secure.

Not very big. It fits very comfortably under the rear shelf on an SE/Ocean (which is the equivalent of the Multiflex on a Beach, but maybe someone with a Beach can verify). The footprint is 342 x 382mm.

For those with an SE/Ocean, it also fits neatly in the under-sink cupboard - some people might say "Ew" to that, I'd personally be happy to store it there as it doesn't smell, although we find it easier just to carry it in the back of the van and keep the 'kitchen' area for kitchen stuff.
The multiflex on a 3 seat Beach is quite a bit higher than the shelf on the Ocean/SE, while the shelf on the 2 seat Beach is the same. The bed/shelf arrangement of the 3 seat Beach is the same as the Multivan, while the 2 seat Beach has the same lower setup as the Ocean/SE.

The multiflex on a 3 seat Beach is quite a bit higher than the shelf on the Ocean/SE, while the shelf on the 2 seat Beach is the same. The bed/shelf arrangement of the 3 seat Beach is the same as the Multivan, while the 2 seat Beach has the same lower setup as the Ocean/SE.

Okay then there would be plenty room for a Qube under the Multiflex, with space to throw something else on top of it if you felt like it.

See below; T6 Cali Ocean, don’t k

See below; This is a T6 Cali Ocean, don’t know about BeachA7D99D9F-DD3A-4034-A527-C543B76DD8AA.jpeg

Note to above, in the rest of Europe Multivan is the top of the line T6 MPV, while Caravelle is a simpler version without floor rails, etc., but I believe in UK Caravelle is the top spec.

Back