Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portapotti flush pump ineffective

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
I’ve left our Thetford Portapotti 335 clean and filled up with water (in the upper half !!!) and just a touch of bleach for more than a year (my fault).

On 1st reuse the hand pump hardly flushes out any water. After cleaning the outlet a bit, I got some water out but only with very vigorous pumping.
I’ve tried using descaler and white vinegar in the tank but with very limited improvement.
The unit is well sealed of course.

Any ideas to try restore it to easy flushing?

Probably clogged up with a black algae growth, try some toilet pink in the flush tank, it should clear out the hand pump and stop it coming back

Probably clogged up with a black algae growth, try some toilet pink in the flush tank, it should clear out the hand pump and stop it coming back
Hi
I’ve left our Thetford Portapotti 335 clean and filled up with water (in the upper half !!!) and just a touch of bleach for more than a year (my fault).

On 1st reuse the hand pump hardly flushes out any water. After cleaning the outlet a bit, I got some water out but only with very vigorous pumping.
I’ve tried using descaler and white vinegar in the tank but with very limited improvement.
The unit is well sealed of course.

Any ideas to try restore it to easy flushing?
Bleach might have rotted the rubber on the pump seal .Fiamma brand is better as you can buy spares for the working parts.

Thetford spares listings should you need them

Attachments

• PORTA POTTI QUBE.pdf
    782.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks ! Unfortunately it cost more than 50% of a new potti :oops:
In that case buy a new one, never use bleach, spray rubber seals with silicon oil every 6 months, put pink in top and green in bottom.

I filled the tank with a water solution with discaler and vinegar, used the pump hard for a bit and left like that overnight.

I took the pump off
gave it a good clean and also used the garden hose to blow water through the pipe

reassembled and filled tank with theford pink liquid solution.

It does not work like when new, the pump seem to need really some good action to get some water out (especially to go all around the bowl) but it's not unusable. Given that we only use it occasionally I defer the replacement.
Won't use bleach again.

Back