Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portugal in Nine Days - Doable?

Paul Grice

Paul Grice

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi folks,

Relatively new to this world and have done a few scotland trips, last one to Orkney. Have nine free days and have been invited to spend a couple of them with friends that live in Portugal. Have dismissed the idea of a day on the ferry to Santander so left with a choice of being lazy and flying via Faro or driving to Cali there and back with a two day stopover in Portugal.

Anyone done the Portugal trip? Given the distance and the relatively short time available I'm wondering whether it might just be an exhausting road blat rather than a gentle and pleasurable meander across Europe and thus best left for when have a bit more time at our disposal...or perhaps not?! Any tips or ideas welcome

Also read a few things on here about scams and things to watch out for in Spain plus different rules on free camping etc which made me think "uh oh... Spain seems like quite a different driving experience to Places like Scotland and France". Not looking to get intrepid, just want to enjoy our trip and come back feeling relaxed :)

Paul

Don't know the drive as such, but from Calais to Faro is a 20 hour drive, using the fastest route, says Google Maps. For us, to have a leisurely drive, that would be 3 days at least, preferably 4, and in our normal Cali-mode (always on D-roads) probably 5. Would leave very little time in Faro, if 9 days is all you have...

Easy, I managed Bulgaria in 3 days, so Southern Portugal easily doable in 2 days and meander back

Have nine free days and have been invited to spend a couple of them with friends that live in Portugal. Have dismissed the idea of a day on the ferry to Santander so left with a choice of being lazy and flying via Faro or driving to Cali there and back with a two day stopover in Portugal.
With two adults sharing the driving, I'd have thought Faro in three days is very doable.
Day 1 Calais to Bordeaux
Day 2 Bordeaux to Salamanca
Day 3 Salamanca to Faro
Day 4 Faro
Day 5 Faro
Day 6 Faro
Day 7 Faro to Valencia
Day 8 Valencia to Clermont-Ferrand
Day 9 Clermont-Fernandez to Calais

Each driving section would be 6-8 hours on motorway or trunk roads. Add another 2 hours for stops and you have a memorable European road trip.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

@Amarillo 's itinerary looks very doable. On the return leg, taking the A75 from Beziers to Clermont Ferrand is well worth it. This is a relatively new autoroute through the Massif Centrale and it's free. If you take the N and D roads through you might need an extra day, but this is one of the most picturesque motorways I know.

Plus, you get to see the Millau viaduct, good pic from DeliaCali (@soundsk ) : https://www.instagram.com/p/BUtoui2gx_c/?taken-by=deliacali

Also look out for Viaduc de Garabit (google it) and St Flour is a great place to visit in the Auvergne.

From Clermont Ferrand North to Paris and Calais, the autoroute is dull, dull, dull, and pricey. Great if you are in a hurry (we do Calais to somewhere near Beziers 4 or 5 times a year), but otherwise stick to the N & D routes for a better road trip.

Where in Portugal ?

I live there mainly so know the country well, and the drive down from UK.

I would fly, with only 9 days.
I have driven from Calais to Villeneuve sur lot in one go 11 hours driving + stops and took 2 days to recover.
I don't think you will come back relaxed. 44 hours travelling, plus breaks, plus toll charges

Last edited:
Definitely doable but it depends if you want a challenging experience or a relaxing holiday!

Many thanks for the responses.... I knew there would be a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I can see that to the hardcore mile munchers my trip to the Algarve would be considered a doddle. However, I'm also getting the hint that this could also prove a trip based upon watching the scenery flash by rather than leaving enough time for meandering and exploring any of the places on the way.... which frankly is pretty much what I expected as this is dictated by the inescapable relationsip between time, space and national speed limits. Thanks to Amarilo for the proposed schedule and I'm sure that wil stay posted and somebody will do that schedule at some point.. I'll have a look on the map now and see what that looks like! If it's too much this time I might do it when I've got more time. I kind of had it in my head that one way to do it is two days of monster blast driving followed by something more leisurely.

Many thanks for the responses.... I knew there would be a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I can see that to the hardcore mile munchers my trip to the Algarve would be considered a doddle. However, I'm also getting the hint that this could also prove a trip based upon watching the scenery flash by rather than leaving enough time for meandering and exploring any of the places on the way.... which frankly is pretty much what I expected as this is dictated by the inescapable relationsip between time, space and national speed limits. Thanks to Amarilo for the proposed schedule and I'm sure that wil stay posted and somebody will do that schedule at some point.. I'll have a look on the map now and see what that looks like! If it's too much this time I might do it when I've got more time. I kind of had it in my head that one way to do it is two days of monster blast driving followed by something more leisurely.
Glad you might have seen sense, how many would be going as a matter of interest?

Well … we just went 2 x 1200 km for a (Champagne) weekend :D

Honestly, it was a bit long. But we loved it!

It is doable, but personally, I find it most relaxing to go not more than 4-5 hours a day, and not every day. Our "on-tour-trick" is to drive half days, not do a lot of unpacking on each stop. You get the impression of having time to spend, relax and actually encounter things while on the road. But still be able to move forward at an acceptable pace. It goes like this: Rest - Drive - Sleep - Drive - Rest - Sleep

Day One (afternoon drive)
Breakfast
Sightseeing
Lunch
Unpitch
Drive (4-5 h)
Pitch
Dinner
Rest

Day Two (morning drive)
Breakfast
Unpitch
Drive (4-5 h)
Pitch
Lunch
Sightseeing
Dinner
Rest

Repeat

Whether you are used to driving long hours makes a huge difference.

If you are used to spending 5 hours a day commuting in heavy traffic as a minimum, doing ten- 12 hours hours on a intercontinental blast, seeing different scenery on relatively empty motorways at the speed limit is an absolute pleasure.

With two adults sharing the driving, I'd have thought Faro in three days is very doable.
Day 1 Calais to Bordeaux
Day 2 Bordeaux to Salamanca
Day 3 Salamanca to Faro
Day 4 Faro
Day 5 Faro
Day 6 Faro
Day 7 Faro to Valencia
Day 8 Valencia to Clermont-Ferrand
Day 9 Clermont-Fernandez to Calais

Each driving section would be 6-8 hours on motorway or trunk roads. Add another 2 hours for stops and you have a memorable European road trip.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Heck of a trip that is. Looks like most of it will be thundering up and down the motorways.
I live in Spain and wouldn't select legs 7,8 & 9 for a return journey. Faro to Valencia is not too bad but Valencia is very busy. Valencia to Clermont-Ferrand is a pig of a journey because you are pretty much stuck on the most expensive and busy toll road toll roads in Spain and France. Valancia to the French border is about 40 euros on the AP7. You can use the A7 or N332 but these are very very busy and subject to delays. Take a look at routes back through central Spain. Routes north via Madrid and Burgos are very quiet and the scenery is much nicer. Even the peripheral motorway around Madrid is easy and quiet. There are toll fees of 2.80 euros (two euros eighty) to circumnavigate Madrid and I believe the rest of these routes are free.
Hope this helps
ChrisB

You have discounted the Santander ferry, but I think it is a good compromise - you still get to take the Cali, but you do far less driving.

You either have one day and one night and a bit of a day on the boat, or two nights and one day.

You get a cabin, you can have some food and drink and if you are lucky see some dolphins :)

Heck of a trip that is. Looks like most of it will be thundering up and down the motorways.
I live in Spain and wouldn't select legs 7,8 & 9 for a return journey. Faro to Valencia is not too bad but Valencia is very busy. Valencia to Clermont-Ferrand is a pig of a journey because you are pretty much stuck on the most expensive and busy toll road toll roads in Spain and France. Valancia to the French border is about 40 euros on the AP7. You can use the A7 or N332 but these are very very busy and subject to delays. Take a look at routes back through central Spain. Routes north via Madrid and Burgos are very quiet and the scenery is much nicer. Even the peripheral motorway around Madrid is easy and quiet. There are toll fees of 2.80 euros (two euros eighty) to circumnavigate Madrid and I believe the rest of these routes are free.
Hope this helps
ChrisB
All great info for future trips so all of helpful thanks

So £275 all in for two on easyjet including luggage, taxes and extra legroom seats..... looks like we'll be able to fly to Portugal and back and still have time left over for a few days in France in the Hippy Wagon!

I drive Bristol to Algarve every year and fly the same route many more times.
Your route to Portugal is doable but it's a lot of driving and not much enjoying the lovely places that you can stay.
Take the plane, save lots of money, enjoy the lovely weather and when you have a bit more time, drive and take your time.
Paul

Hi folks,

Relatively new to this world and have done a few scotland trips, last one to Orkney. Have nine free days and have been invited to spend a couple of them with friends that live in Portugal. Have dismissed the idea of a day on the ferry to Santander so left with a choice of being lazy and flying via Faro or driving to Cali there and back with a two day stopover in Portugal.

Anyone done the Portugal trip? Given the distance and the relatively short time available I'm wondering whether it might just be an exhausting road blat rather than a gentle and pleasurable meander across Europe and thus best left for when have a bit more time at our disposal...or perhaps not?! Any tips or ideas welcome

Also read a few things on here about scams and things to watch out for in Spain plus different rules on free camping etc which made me think "uh oh... Spain seems like quite a different driving experience to Places like Scotland and France". Not looking to get intrepid, just want to enjoy our trip and come back feeling relaxed :)

Paul

Yes. If you don't mind the autoroutes, you can cover the distance - it's fine for relatively rapid long distance cruising, assuming two drivers.

And never had anything expect good experiences in Spain.

It's doable if you like spending from morning to night staring at tarmac.

If the end destination is worth it, then do it.

If it's not, in your evaluation, worth it, then wait until you can add another week at least into the itinerary and meander through some glorious parts of Europe.

My priorities changed when I got the cali. Before then the destination was all important. Now it's the getting there, the overnight stops in small villages, the countryside, the cultures of different provinces and departments, the Cali is a dream vehicle for spontaneous meandering as you make your way to the end point.

It's doable if you like spending from morning to night staring at tarmac.

If the end destination is worth it, then do it.

If it's not, in your evaluation, worth it, then wait until you can add another week at least into the itinerary and meander through some glorious parts of Europe.

My priorities changed when I got the cali. Before then the destination was all important. Now it's the getting there, the overnight stops in small villages, the countryside, the cultures of different provinces and departments, the Cali is a dream vehicle for spontaneous meandering as you make your way to the end point.

Hi.... sound advice! You've convinced me...... easyjet it is and a slow meander another time when have no deadlines.... :)

Back