Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible new owner

GraemeP

GraemeP

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Good afternoon all. I'm off to Breeze in Poole next Wednesday to have a play with a T6 - idea being to go for a Beach. I'm. A middle aged mountain biker from the Isle of Wight, and have been toying with the idea of a day van for a few years.

Having weighed everything up, on reflection. It looks like the "cheapest" way for me to get what I want, is to buy a new Beach on the finance deal, then pay balloon and either keep or sell.

I intend to use the van as my only car (wife has a mini as well), and use for some local 1 or 2 night camping locally. Also to take away riding with bikes. I would only camp where there are washing facilities, and would lob a camping stove and awning in the mix to cook.

Is there any cunning way of having some form of coolbox / fridge in a Beach just for food supplies and milk etc, as that's the only problem that having an Ocean addresses for me?

I can't think about the price of these things, just the deposit and monthly cost, and the view that they don't loose a lot!!!

Any pointers and help greatly appreciated

snap !! exactly same as me .... the Beach was the obvious choice - on VW finance on low mileage plan means low monthly repayments - in reality doing 30k plus miles per year as my only car. Will pay balloon in 3 years time gladly. i am a mountain biker - its fantastic to cycle back to rain shine hot cold .... and have recently bought a Waeco fridge that sits in the boot most of the time - i have a cartridge gas cooker for quick stops and chuck in the two burner for proper camping. go for it

Similar position here - Waeco CF26 fridge fits perfectly in the boot and doesn't take up too much space.

Now your big dilemma is how are you going to carry the bikes! I spent months thinking about this and eventually went for the "ugly" T6 rack, but there are loads of options. It's worth spec'ing the factory towbar if you're likely to use a towbar rack.

Welcome , Beach owners will give advise on fridge in a Beach as my SE came with one...:D
Lots to read here on this forum about goodies and must haves.

Seems we've got a Cali Beach usage/theme convey!! :thumb

I placed an order for a Cali Beach last week.... Will also be my daily driver, and used (mainly) to facilitate a cycling addiction....

I've a height restriction in my (underground) carpark space.... So, the VW Tailgate cycle carrier, wasn't gonna be the easiest solution.... Have ordered a fixed tow-bar instead, will confirm cycle carrier next year (closer to delivery date.) I like the Thule EasyFold 931 (hope it slides forward enough, for the tailgate to open - Trying to confirm that at present.)

I too decided, it wasn't worth circa £10K for a built in cool-box, basin & camping cooker. We already have pretty good PCS (personal cooking systems) for our hiking expos, so will use them for bit anyway. Plus a cheap cool-box, with an odd bag of ice cubes thrown into it (most garages sell bags of ice cubes these days) should do us. Warm beer and powder-milk, as a last resort! Seem to be plenty of powered coolbox options out there tho, I'm just not convinced I want to consume part of the boot space for one (yet anyway.)

Anyway, all the best, and keep shredding!

Jonathan .

Welcome, I am an mtb'er myself and I will start using the Beach with my Thule 929. I just slept in the upper bed tonight on the drive :).
Get a fridge, I just got the Waeco CFX28, should be most energy efficient coolbox at the moment.

Thanks all for your responses - it's really appreciated! Most of my friends all have T5s with Caravelle floors, and we use those to go away with the bikes in the boot. I live on the Isle of Wight so most of my camping is on local sites, I expect taking bikes away Will likely be 1 night away. Not sure I'm keen on having my bike outside the van overnight, and the carbon frames don't like some clamping racks.

Great to hear others doing same thing as I'm hoping to do.

Anyone else been down to Breeze in Poole - going with wife and daughter, might go Tower Park if it's warm and check out the water slides!

Sleeping on the drive - love it, can see me and my daughter doing that!!!

One other question for those reading, does the Beach come with any kind of internal table to go between the rotated front seats and rear seats when your parked up??

Yes there is a table hidden in the sliding door :)

I too intended to put bikes in the boot but I found moving the bench and multiflex around a bit of a faff every time I wanted to transport a bike. It's good to have the option though.

So I'm just finalising spec today, deposit and deal done, just need to submit final!

Going Grey with black interior 3 seat bench, comfort dash and triple zone climate, 150ps DSG.

Was thinking bigger screen and app connect, maybe the extra lights inside, electric folding mirrors, fogs, uprated ARBs. Do I need overnight heater or cruise, and do I need to spec anything for the glass? Need to try and keep cost sensible! I will start searching the forums!

Now for the hard bit then but enjoyable
Heater is a must as it will extend the time you can comfortably camp in the van and its value should you wish to sell.
Plenty of good info on the forum. My circumstances fit an Ocean better so other than the recommending the updated ARBs app connect and larger screen will leave it there. Good luck.

Mike

So I'm just finalising spec today, deposit and deal done, just need to submit final!

Going Grey with black interior 3 seat bench, comfort dash and triple zone climate, 150ps DSG.

Was thinking bigger screen and app connect, maybe the extra lights inside, electric folding mirrors, fogs, uprated ARBs. Do I need overnight heater or cruise, and do I need to spec anything for the glass? Need to try and keep cost sensible! I will start searching the forums!
I would say heater = essential for all round use and good resale value.
I love app connect and so would always recommend that.
The lights inside pop top and boot are worth the money. Doing a retro on that would be costly and/or ugly.
Excited for you though. Sounds great.

Cheers for the responses - I think I already knew I would need heater, just a lot of dollar! Didn't think I would go DSG until I drove one - went from a "would have" to a "must have" after test drive (as did dash upgrade)

Adaptive Cruise Control goes well with DSG by all accounts - the multi-function Steering wheel gets thrown in with it.

Forgot to mention two spare folding keys for £60rrp, good investment

Adaptive cruise is too rich for me! Extra keys agree completely and have that on the list. There are some very unclear options about electrics - is there a key anywhere that describes each extra, what it does, and any "roll ups" (such as triple zone climate included with comfort dash)?

On standard suspension they feel very wallowy!! I am going thicker ARBs while under warranty, then I will fit a Bilstein suspension kit and probably a set of banded steels (sorry purists!)

Adaptive cruise is too rich for me! Extra keys agree completely and have that on the list. There are some very unclear options about electrics - is there a key anywhere that describes each extra, what it does, and any "roll ups" (such as triple zone climate included with comfort dash)?
That's where the better dealers with good knowledge of the California stand out from the others.
The configurator does give some additional information too (click the i symbol next to the choice) - though it also confuses the hell out of me!
e.g. Exterior Package
  • Black exterior mirror housings and door handles in body color
  • Fog lights with cornering lights
  • Halogen twin headlights
Comfort Dash
  • Climatronic 3-zone A/C with 2nd evaporat or, auxiliary heater, air conditioned he adliner and additional passenger control
  • Comfort dashboard with wide center console and bottle compartment
  • Decorative insert dark brushed silver decorative strip in anthracite metallic
  • Dust and pollen filter air outlet in driver's compartment
  • Without socket in front

Last edited:
Don't wish to hijack this thread but can you quantify the "big tick for the anti-roll bars" ?
My own take on it would be: - Noticeably less roll when cornering, at any speed really, compared to a couple of otherwise identical Oceans we drove. The ride is otherwise unaffected though, so don't expect any less bouncing and pitching. Well worth it for the small relative cost. The benefits in a Beach will probably differ I guess with less built-in weight and probably a lower centre of gravity, though I've been in a standard Beach and it still had some noticeable roll on corners so definitely something there to improve on. Hope this may help a bit :)

I think I might have done this before, but I guess I should do as a new owner in waiting!

Been a member here for a little while, nearly pulled the trigger on a new Beach in 2016 but time and money were wrong. I’ve just sold a lovely custom T5.1 day van, and placed my new Beach order yesterday.

I live on the Isle of Wight, work in a southampton. Primary use of the van was carting mountain bikes around England and Wales, and some fair weather camping. Plan with the beach is more of the same, but my daughter wants to learn to surf so another good reason for the beach.

Not sure if there’s any other members here from the Island (Chris are you here?). I’d happily arrange a meet at one of the decent sites here if you’re all into that sort of thing - be nice to meet some fellow enthusiasts.

I need to get one of the bungees for the roof, think about mattress toppers and what wheels to buy, and some seat covers (didn’t change wheels as factory order). I’ll have a lot of questions no doubt!

Thanks to those on the discount thread, I think you really helped with what I could push for.

Thanks
Graeme

Cheers! I’m now trawling the site looking at how to get the perfect night’s sleep, the perfect cup of coffee and the perfect outdoor cooking solution! Any recommendations in South Hampshire / West Sussex to supply and fit Bilstein Coilovers? Bognor look to do free fitting?