Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible new Product: Wireless Roof Operation

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
One of our partners is developing a new product for the Cali which will allow the roof to be operated wirelessly via a mobile phone app controlled system, it will also operate the internal / external lighting.

It will be made to work alongside the original equipment, so if the controller fails the roof could still be operated via the control panel.

This is still in development and we are just looking for your thoughts on this, also are there are any other options that people would like ?

Not something I would really go for.

We all know that the roof has to have a door / window open - so I think it is best to be nearby when that happens.

Also I like to watch the roof come down for obvious reasons.

Finally we don't want to give VW any reason to not be upholding any warranty claims...

And this is from a person who loves a gadget. I used to have a VW EOS and always half looked at those remote control smart-top modules, but could never really justify it for the same reasons.

I guess remote operation of the engine heater would be appealing in the winter, but I guess you can get the pukka webasto remote for that if you want it.

T

I beg to differ, the close the roof from outside would be a big bonus especially for us single travellers. Obviously depends on cost.

Not something I would really go for,
You have seen the JCBs synchronization displays we could do one at Calis on the farm all roofs up and down together :goodone

Dunc said:
I beg to differ, the close the roof from outside would be a big bonus especially for us single travellers. Obviously depends on cost.

I can see the benefit of being able to press the button while you are walking around checking the fabric, but I am not sure a mobile app is the way I would go about it - would that depend on having a mobile / data signal?

Good idea to allow watching the bellows from outside whilst roof comes down, however using a touch screen of a mobile phone to do that is not the way to go.
A person cannot watch the roof and mobile phone in the same time. To do that you have to have pushbuttons which you physically feel with your fingers. So some sort of dedicated remote control device would be the correct option for me.

Perhaps it would be possible to have the "Manual Screw" function of the roof operated from the same remote, as emergency measure, but with easier access.
Cheers
Andrzej

I think its more for when your control panel knob falls off in your hand :thumb

I think it is a good idea (if it can be made for a reasonable price) don't like the mobile phone app though, would prefer a simple remote.

Yeah a simple remote control (like a garage door opener, or the old car alarm fob) - with a simple up and down button would be a good idea - you could stand outside and lower the roof - it will save fiddling with the camper control unit.

I like that idea - when I saw phone operation I assumed it was so you could do it very remotely...

(As an aside is it only me, or is the warning when lowering the roof too soon - I like it a bit lower before I do a walk around check...)

I worry you guys are losing the plot !

We lost the plot when we spent tens of thousands on a van!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Spend a few quid on the roof bungy if your'e worried about the bellows closing correctly. KISS.

bungy absolutely ... I was more interested in just looking cool with controlling the cali with my iPhone, TOWTMTW.

A secondary switch away from the control panel would be a simple modification. There are more and more donor roofs being added to T5 conversions, I have seen switches in various positions as they are often installed with out the control panel. Probably not something worth considering for a Cali still under warranty though.

That would be for the American or Australian market.:happy:happy

Mr Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City.
In November 2000 Mr Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot
Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined
the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly
left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself
a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the
freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr Grazinski sued Winnebago
for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually
do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago
actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court
case, just in case there are any other complete morons
buying their vehicles.)

Not for me. Sounds fine in practice. It would be nice to see the roof coming down but for me personally, I have a long list of things I would like for the Cali and this would be low down on this list of wants.. I can see the appeal though..

It would be more use than my heater remote- still not sure why vw did that... Be good for singles, as a back up or to look flash (to match my remote sliding door) but as you have to turn the ignition on to operate, you may as well stay sitting for a little longer!

With an overly sensitive knob :thumb......it's sometimes tricky getting my control unit to navigate to the right part of the menu.
Having some kind of app to control the roof would give peace of mind + reduce wear and tear - however it would need to be competitively priced. If it could also do the other functions like adjust fridge temp, so much the better.
Presumably as their is a remote for the ebespacher heating (also controlled by the central control unit) this would not be a quantum leap (perhaps could be done via a bluetooth receiver bolt on in the Cali?

Back