Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

possibly buying a late t5 california

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi i have been offered a very late t5 California se, its a may 2016 registered 140 bhp with 8000 miles
do you think its worth buying a t5 over a t6.

We'd need to know the price / spec differences, and if the T6 is available....or on a 6 month wait with higher excise rates.

I would prefer a T6 over a T5.1 - except if the price tag is really attractive (huge saving) and/or the specs are a lot better.

the spec of the t5 is
140 bhp se
black awning
Bluetooth
parking sensors
privacy glass
£44000

t6 similar spec is around £50000

I don't think ive seen a 16plate t5 ?

the spec of the t5 is
140 bhp se
black awning
Bluetooth
parking sensors
privacy glass
£44000

t6 similar spec is around £50000

You should consider 8.000 vs. 0. Time to delivery if ordering a T6. Resale value - the T5.1 is a generation older.

If i had to chose now and the diffrence is 6000£ i'd go for a (new)6er....
If you can affort it.

But bear in mind the ordertime/deliverytime, a T5 = instant fun!
2nd hand T6?

May '16 T5? I was told final orders of the T5 were spring 2015 with production finishing in the summer so this Cali might have sat a while before being registered, possibly at a dealers until a T6 demo was available? I think it needs to be cheaper than that to beat a current model.

A Cali is worth what someone will pay for it.
If you are happy with a price and the van and balance between less wait for new higher cost .less warranty on second hand ---- at the end of the day go for what meets your needs and budget - both ways the Cali is a great campervan

I did like the cheap 5 year warranty on our new van which swung it on upgrage for us. T5 T6 not an issue for us

Last edited:
I'm going to offer £42000
£7-8k difference and no wait is worth it IMO as the late T5's had a lot of earlier problems rectified. I believe the T5 values will stay strong with the ever upward pricing of new Californias. With discount the T5 you are interested in was probably £44-45k new so they are not taking a big hit on it.

As mentioned the warranty and the instant fun is a good point, look forward to your decision.

If you have to wait for the T6 then:

* the new excise duties will add several £k over the first 5/6 years (see other thread) into the equation

* if you are selling yours privately, and can hold on 6 weeks, spring will be in the air and demand will be high. If you wait till the T6 arrives, Autumn will be in the air, and demand will be tailing off.

For someone without a van, it's close to a no brainer to buy the T5 and enjoy in straight away, but as you already have one, that doesn't impact you.

There has never been more than a couple of £k difference between used T5s and T5.1s. As the T6 is no bigger a jump, it should really be considered as a T5. 2 and I expect the same sort of differences to apply after a few years.

If they take your bid, you are certainly on the right side of the bargain.

Personally I would go for the T5. Nice as they are I prefer the look of the T5 models so if the spec and price was right that would swing it for me.
Good Luck

I had same issue in end went for t5 had everything I needed an to top it vw offered me more px than I paid but van was showroom condition

Thanks for all the feedback, the Cali is reserved until I see it and they will accept £43000. My heart says get a t6 but my head says get the t5 as its like new and cheaper
It sounds like they have had it for a while. Why not try hitting them with a low offer, say £40k. What's the worst that could happen?

We also have a very late T5 SE and a T6 Beach. Both utterly brilliant vehicles. IMO the T6 isn't that much different to the T5 and certainly not that much better. It comes down to which one you prefer and the money of course.

What ever you decide, good luck

Parkers price guide means nothing these days especially for a California.
Vw even offer silly px values for the California

quick question, if the floor has the third rail wound it automatically come with a 5th seat? or is it just floor preparation.

Just floor preparation. 5th seat was an extra.

where do you put the 5th seat if away for the weekend ? assuming your away with 2 adults and 3 kids for the space