Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power Bank for jump starting Cali - Advice Please.

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have a power bank for jump starting vehicles. It works for my son's Toyota Soarer 2.5ltr straight six and my other son's BMW 325i, ie another straight six - both petrol.

But it will not jump my 2ltr, auto Cali.

Any ideas why not?

Thanking you in advance.

IMG_20190202_130702.jpg

IMG_20190202_130643.jpg

IMG_20190202_130654.jpg

I have this one.
It says it will start up to a 3.0L diesel.
your start current is 300A where this is 1000A.
That might be the reason. GB40-Portable-Lithium-Battery-Car-Jump-Starter-Booster-Pack-For-Jump-Starting-PT01-2.jpg

Got the exact the one above as @westfalia shows , only used once to start a 1.9 diesel Renault Kangoo , worked well...

I have a power bank for jump starting vehicles. It works for my son's Toyota Soarer 2.5ltr straight six and my other son's BMW 325i, ie another straight six - both petrol.

But it will not jump my 2ltr, auto Cali.

Any ideas why not?

Thanking you in advance.

View attachment 41122

View attachment 41123

View attachment 41124
A little more information would be helpful.
Which vehicle do you have? T5, T5.1, T6. Which engine power? They are virtually all designated 2L, but 140/150/180/204 HP ?
How are you connecting the Battery Start?
Do you have a flat engine battery at the moment?
There is a significant difference between Petrol/Diesel engines on Start-Up.

Sorry.

I have a 2012, T5 (Facelift, I think). SE TDI 180 4x4 Auto
I checked the connection and it barely turned over
I have since jumped it from my other car, it is now on charge and we will go out for a run tomorrow.
Maybe I need the one mentioned above, ie more power.

Thank you

I am looking at more jump leads, they range from 200Amp to 3000 amp. Which ones would be suitable for a Cali?

...with clips that need 2 hands to operate, but if you get a decent jump pack you won’t need new jump leads.

A diesel engine has a higher compression ratio than petrol and so when starting the starter motor pulls a larger current from the battery in order to turn the engine over. Hence the bigger engine battery.

That power pack cannot supply enough current to turn over your Cali engine but will turn over an equivalent petrol engine.

Alan

A diesel engine has a higher compression ratio than petrol and so when starting the starter motor pulls a larger current from the battery in order to turn the engine over. Hence the bigger engine battery.

That power pack cannot supply enough current to turn over your Cali engine but will turn over an equivalent petrol engine.

Alan
And you have the Glow Plugs to power up, especially at this time of year.

As ever with these things get the heaviest duty you can afford. You can’t ‘overdo’ the amps, it will take what it needs and Diesels need plenty.

Thank you everyone for your comments and info. I have ordered the one Westfalia and others have.

Ebay prices for the exact same item, range from £17.31 - £90.95. Unless I have read it incorrectly. And the cheaper one comes with a hard case.

jump.jpg

Thank you everyone for your comments and info. I have ordered the one Westfalia and others have.

Ebay prices for the exact same item, range from £17.31 - £90.95. Unless I have read it incorrectly. And the cheaper one comes with a hard case.

View attachment 41190
The £17 one is just the hard case.

Sorry.

I have a 2012, T5 (Facelift, I think). SE TDI 180 4x4 Auto
I checked the connection and it barely turned over
I have since jumped it from my other car, it is now on charge and we will go out for a run tomorrow.
Maybe I need the one mentioned above, ie more power.

Thank you
You’re probably right on the limit of the battery’s life. My OEM battery on my 2011 T5.1 140PS kept discharging and no amount of recharging would bring it back.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't want to start a new one. Where does one connect the earth lead when charging or using a jump starter? I know that it shouldn't be to the battery earth but the leads on both my charger and starter are not long enough to reach the engine block and I can't find an earthing point, (other than the bolt for the battery clamp), close enough. 2018 T6 Ocean.

What is likely to happen if the battery earth is used with a Noco starter? And how can it be fixed?

Right or wrong, when I had to borrow a pack to start mine a few months ago I used the battery terminal. That pack had longer cables, but I couldn’t get a good enough connection anywhere else to make it work. Worked first time when connected to the negative terminal.

Nice bought a Noco pack as backup myself, but fortunately not had to use it in anger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of Energizer jump starter packs which I've used on a number of vehicles (not yet on my T6, phew), and the instructions provided with those specifically say to connect to the vehicle battery +ve and -ve terminals. That's always worked fine and, not being very technical, I've just taken it as read that the pack's electronics are designed to make it safe and avoid damage.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't want to start a new one. Where does one connect the earth lead when charging or using a jump starter? I know that it shouldn't be to the battery earth but the leads on both my charger and starter are not long enough to reach the engine block and I can't find an earthing point, (other than the bolt for the battery clamp), close enough. 2018 T6 Ocean.

What is likely to happen if the battery earth is used with a Noco starter? And how can it be fixed?
I connected my Noco to + and - on the battery = no problem.

The instructions on my pack say to use the -ve terminal too. TBH the leads are so short, there is little alternative.

Most modern vehicles have a Battery Monitor connected to the -tve terminal to monitor voltage/current in & out for the efficient use of the Smart Alternator and help in the complicated emissions management. By connecting directly to the -tve battery terminal this monitoring is bypassed. So the vehicle will not immediately be aware of the battery state, and hence will be less efficient until a few drive cycles have passed.
Connecting the -tve lead as shown in Post 20 , downstream of the battery -tve pole is best if no chassis earth is within reach.

Back