Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power steering failure - cost of repair

T

Tom T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
The auxiliary and alternator belt failed on our maiden trip in our 2014 California Beach down to Cornwall over the Easter weekend. I have seen other threads which suggest it is a known issue. It could have been worse, our California became a static caravan for the bank holiday and then got driven back home.

But... we have been quoted £1184 from a dealer for replacement belt, power steering pump, pulleys and tensioner (plus labour). Seems a lot especially compared to what we have paid for cambelt and water pump changes which I suspect is more work.

Thoughts?

It happened to me in Provence. It is a known issue and there is a set of replacement parts which should be fitted free of charge by a dealer. At least mine was.

It happened to me in Provence. It is a known issue and there is a set of replacement parts which should be fitted free of charge by a dealer. At least mine was.
We are out of warranty...

Wot 'e said. I don't think it's a warranty issue. It's a known fault.

My 2015 had the auxiliary tensioner changed as part of a recall

Hi Tom, I hope it didn’t spoil you maiden voyage too much ?
Worth speaking to several dealers to see if they can / will do anything, even a bit of good will, alternatively try a independent, bound to be cheaper than a main dealer

Ours went in France a couple of years ago. Still under UK warranty but had to pay the French dealer and reclaim it, about 350 euros I think. Then it got done again under recall by the dealer here when we had it serviced so as said it's well known issue and should be done free. Basically the crappy bearings in the tensioner pulley give way and the belt flies off.
Make sure they check that no other damage was done by the bits of broken belt flapping about.

If it was a recall there should be a recall record for your vehicle, worth checking

Hi what is the chassis number of your vehicle I can see if the workshop campaign is still outstanding on your vehicle. As has been said it is a common issue and there was a workshop action released for the tensioner and a shorter v belt depending on how badly the belt frayed before it let go would depend on the damage done the power steering pump is commonly effected as the belt wraps around the pump drive shaft and damages the shaft seal the alternator etc can normally be recovered as it’s just shredded belt. I see your Cali is 2014 so it should have the later modified cam belt cover to prevent the aux belt getting into the cam belt area but worth getting your dealer to check

I can confirm that my 2015 has had this recall done (I checked yesterday when getting serviced) so its worth checking the service history with VW, if its been done it will be on record.

Even out of warranty it should get done.

Checked with VCS with VIN number and they said there is no outstanding recall notice associated with my vehicle. Re checked with the “stearlership” and they confirmed that the recommended guards had already been fitted which suggests that the work was done. But the belt still failed and wrapped itself around the steering pump causing risks of leakage and failure. They won’t do the work under any recall. They did however offer to drop the price of the work as a “goodwill” gesture (not by much!). Given the history of issues, having the benefit of 2 years part warranty from them is quoted persuasive, but it’s still a bit of a sting!

Hi Tom, I hope it didn’t spoil you maiden voyage too much ?
Worth speaking to several dealers to see if they can / will do anything, even a bit of good will, alternatively try a independent, bound to be cheaper than a main dealer
Nope - didn’t spoil it too much! definitely sold on the van, just need to get it fixed and enjoy the rest of the summer! Independents were definitely much cheaper.

Checked with VCS with VIN number and they said there is no outstanding recall notice associated with my vehicle. Re checked with the “stearlership” and they confirmed that the recommended guards had already been fitted which suggests that the work was done. But the belt still failed and wrapped itself around the steering pump causing risks of leakage and failure. They won’t do the work under any recall. They did however offer to drop the price of the work as a “goodwill” gesture (not by much!). Given the history of issues, having the benefit of 2 years part warranty from them is quoted persuasive, but it’s still a bit of a sting!
Maybe worth digging your heals in here. There are some questions worth asking. 1. When was the guard fitted and was the belt changed at that time as per the recall notice. 2. If the belt was changed and it was less than 2 years ago then is it covered by the 2 year parts warranty. 3. Why has the belt failed? If the answers are not forthcoming or vague then maybe worth seeking consumer advice.

Thanks Rich. All good points. So the outcome from a further discussion and search of service history was that there is and never was a recall for my year. The cambelt guard was fitted as standard. The belt had never been replaced and as such not a warranted part. Not ideal. All I would say is if you have a T5 model, if you smell burning rubber stop and check he belt - you can see it quite easily. It is easy and cheap to simply replace the belt. Also, I am now carrying a spare!

Thanks Rich. All good points. So the outcome from a further discussion and search of service history was that there is and never was a recall for my year. The cambelt guard was fitted as standard. The belt had never been replaced and as such not a warranted part. Not ideal. All I would say is if you have a T5 model, if you smell burning rubber stop and check he belt - you can see it quite easily. It is easy and cheap to simply replace the belt. Also, I am now carrying a spare!
Some you win, some you lose. Happy travels in the future.

The auxiliary and alternator belt failed on our maiden trip in our 2014 California Beach down to Cornwall over the Easter weekend. I have seen other threads which suggest it is a known issue. It could have been worse, our California became a static caravan for the bank holiday and then got driven back home.

But... we have been quoted £1184 from a dealer for replacement belt, power steering pump, pulleys and tensioner (plus labour). Seems a lot especially compared to what we have paid for cambelt and water pump changes which I suspect is more work.

Thoughts?
We had exactly the same problem (approximately 1.5years ago), at the time we were just out of warranty, but as it happens, when it eventually got into our VW dealer, the problem was down as a recall, so fixed foc!!

?
What vans are affected?
I haven't had this problem yet. Lucky me, and I have never heard of it too?

?
What vans are affected?
I haven't had this problem yet. Lucky me, and I have never heard of it too?
Ours was a 2015 uk registered 5.1,140 bhp 7 speed dsg (probably had about 40,000 miles)

Mine is a 2010 T5.1 140 hp with 130 000 km.
I guess mine is good.

Sorry to reopen this, my VW had a steering wheel failure today (2015) but when I look for 2015 recalls on the VOSA site I can’t find anything related to steering.
Can anyone assist as there’s mentions of recalls on this thread.

thanks

Sorry to reopen this, my VW had a steering wheel failure today (2015) but when I look for 2015 recalls on the VOSA site I can’t find anything related to steering.
Can anyone assist as there’s mentions of recalls on this thread.

thanks
It wasn’t a Recall, so won’t be on the VOSA site.
It was termed a Workshop Campaign, as it was a small number of vehicles, non-safety related with a longer time interval to failure so should have been picked up on the 1st or 2nd service.

Back