Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power steering failure....

bangorlad

bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Bit of an info posting really but my power steering failed on Friday just outside Glossop. Reading a few posts on here it sounds like the classic broken belt situation - alternator light on, stop/start fault on the dash and Arnie Schwarzenegger biceps required. Nervously limped into M&S car park in town and persuaded it into parking spot which took a 20 turn maneuver. No sign of fluid or shredded rubber(?) under the bonnet and the fact that I cancelled the Stop/Start switch in a hill queue immediately before it happened got me wondering if I'd blown a fuse - first time I've tried to switch it off. However the tech that phoned me was confident enough in a broken belt to cancel the roadside assistance and dispatch AA recovery.

Van was bought last February from VW in Llandudno Junction and under 12 months warranty; no complaints with VW Assist. AA took the van to VW in Sheffield and dropped me and colleague at our destination en route on the A57 just outside. Got a courtesy car delivered on Saturday (not a 'camping' trip) and am awaiting first diagnosis as they couldn't do anything on Saturday morning. Meantime I'll contact Llandudno as I've read how frequent this seems to be and also one posting from Vanalli that talks about a technical update/TPI/fix in September 2015 about this problem (how can I reference previous postings...?) in 2015 T5 Calis.

Not long back from a great fortnight on the Outer Hebrides; this happening there could have been interesting...

Stewart (with the bulging biceps and almost 6 pack...)

Sorry to hear that, not something that you'd expect to happen in day-to-day motoring & the only good news being it didn't spoil your holiday.

Will be interested to read about the fix, keep smiling.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. We have now had it fail tbree times and plan to reject the vehicle under Consumer Rights Act.
Hope you are more successful with a repair.

While waiting for my steering to be fixed at JCT600 in Sheffield I've been emailing VW in Llandudno Junction who sold me the van. I mentioned the TPi that Walrus mentioned in https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...wer-steering-failure.11017/page-5#post-219597 and was told these would only be looked at if the 'customer had a problem'. Presume I have a problem if it happens again after a couple more thousand miles:sad

I asked about repair warranty and intriguingly was told;
"The parts will be replaced will run alongside your existing warranty, the only way you are entitled to 2 years of warranty would be paying for a % of the repair (even if it’s just £1.00)"
Not sure what that's all about but I'll certainly ask when I receive the call from Sheffield...

It's beginning to sound a bit 'official party line' but I've got on really well with these people so far and they've gone out of their way to be helpful and it would be a pity if that had to change.

Last edited:
Speak to James Hainsworth at Sheffield. He's the warranty guy there and was really helpful with our warranty claim abroad when the belt went.

Bit of an info posting really but my power steering failed on Friday just outside Glossop. Reading a few posts on here it sounds like the classic broken belt situation - alternator light on, stop/start fault on the dash and Arnie Schwarzenegger biceps required. Nervously limped into M&S car park in town and persuaded it into parking spot which took a 20 turn maneuver. No sign of fluid or shredded rubber(?) under the bonnet and the fact that I cancelled the Stop/Start switch in a hill queue immediately before it happened got me wondering if I'd blown a fuse - first time I've tried to switch it off. However the tech that phoned me was confident enough in a broken belt to cancel the roadside assistance and dispatch AA recovery.

Van was bought last February from VW in Llandudno Junction and under 12 months warranty; no complaints with VW Assist. AA took the van to VW in Sheffield and dropped me and colleague at our destination en route on the A57 just outside. Got a courtesy car delivered on Saturday (not a 'camping' trip) and am awaiting first diagnosis as they couldn't do anything on Saturday morning. Meantime I'll contact Llandudno as I've read how frequent this seems to be and also one posting from Vanalli that talks about a technical update/TPI/fix in September 2015 about this problem (how can I reference previous postings...?) in 2015 T5 Calis.

Not long back from a great fortnight on the Outer Hebrides; this happening there could have been interesting...

Stewart (with the bulging biceps and almost 6 pack...)

Hi,
Same thing happened to my wife and I when on holiday in France 3 weeks ago. Sudden power steering failure.
No warning at all.
Only done 20000 miles, a T5 2015 plate.
Volkswagen European Assistance were superb, as was the VW garage outside Epinal. Fixed in 36 hrs.
Told it was due to failure of the belt tensioning pulley.
They replaced the power steering pump, the belt, the roller and belt tensioning roller.
On return my local VW garage in Newcastle have been excellent. They have checked over the repair for peace of mind and also ensured that the Tpi 2027582/3 has been followed.
Regards,
Keith

Just had my tensioner and belt replaced under a recall notice. VW have decided to do the right thing. I will update the other post if it helps anyone. 2015 140 Beach.

Back