Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power steering woe

• Thread starter Criminallyvulgar
  • Start date
C

Criminallyvulgar

Vehicle
Just browsing
Have a 2015 California SE and the power steering went today. Battery light came on as well.
I’ve seen a few threads about this and apparently it’s a common fault on those machines.
Any updates as to whether VW pick this up as a mea culpa?

would you always go to a VW garage for a fix or just use a local garage?

Fan/alternator belt?

Would that cause the steering to go?!

oh man.

Seems there was a VW recall some time ago. How do you check if your van had the recall work done? Would VW still honour the recall?

sorry for so many questions. We’ve only just bought the flipping thing!

Some engines have a belt that drives both the alternator AND the power steering pump. Check that. You may spot the shredded belt. Also try turning the pump and alternator drive pulleys by hand before putting a new belt on. Assuming its that it is an easy fix at any garage

Thanks all.

If it is the subject of a recall from 2017 would VW still honour that?

Thanks all.

If it is the subject of a recall from 2017 would VW still honour that?
It’s a Workshop Campaign, not a Recall. So should have been done during a routine service, if your vehicle is affected.
I had it done on my 2014 180 biturbo.

61DDC8CC-ADC0-4C07-80E3-84C6FB8C4AB6.jpeg

Thanks Welshgas. So hopefully this is something that VW will still honour.

On our maiden trip to France it happened to after fueling up in Luxemburg. Had to replace the belt there and then. When back my local garage told me it was a familiar thing to happen and after calling VW it was one of the 2 ‘recalls’ that was still open on our bus.
The other one was the roof recall. Both actions were fixed under warrenty even though I bought my van 2nd hand private in Germany Last year. Ours is a 2015 one.
By the way, to my surprise VW replaced the roof canvas as part of the roof job. Didn’t know and only found out later when I put the roof up. So thanks VW