Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Practicalities of Dogs and Calis

G

gatvol

Having had such dogs in the distant past, we are considering getting a dog, probably a Rhodesian Ridgeback or German Shepherd. As we are from large families with lots of dog sitters, and we have never taken dogs camping or on holiday before. living rurally, we used to have family nearby so we simply never had to deal with travelling with dogs or taking them into "difficult" environments.

How practical would it be to take this sort of dog away in a Cali pls?

Are tent kennels ok?
How do you manage with going to restaurants?, cinemas?, museums?
Dog seat belts on the rear seat when travelling ?

Sorry if daft questions, but advice on the realities of holidaying with dogs much appreciated as we always used to leave our dogs at home or in kennels

Thanks

We have crate trained our Irish Terrier and plonk her crate on the parcel shelf. As its a familiar environment to her (we use it for the same purposes at home and when visiting family and friends), it works a treat for travelling, sleeping overnight and for leaving for an hour or two during the day. In fact the crate is just generally brilliant!

Mind you we can get by with a fairly small crate, a crate for a bigger dog might be tricky to accommodate in the van? Get yourself an Irish Terrier!

Cheers

Ian

We have a California "no limit" 2007 and we travel with our dog, a Toller (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever). No big deal. We use a safety belt for dogs to connect him to the rear seat. At night he sleeps downstears while we sleep upstears. If we leave the car to go anywhere he is not allowed, we leave him in the car. He is perfectly comfortable with that (after all it's his home away from home). It's great fun to travel with a dog. Just remember to check if the camp site allows dogs, not all of them do. And be aware that travelling with dogs on buses and trams in Spain and Portugal is not allowed!!! And above all, remember to get the new (as of the 1st of January 2012) pet passport issued by your vet.

my Cali -pugs love the bus as much as me and just say the word and they are out the garage trying to get in the cali as if it was the last thing on earth ... :lol: :lol:
I use ezi-dog harnesses which come with seatbelt connectors.. cheap ,very good quality and work well ..... :bananadance

No issues taking our black lab to Mull last year:'
she sleeps in a little pop up tent.

Left her with friends for our month away as many campsites won't allow them and we also felt it would be too hot for her; and it was!!

I agree with all of the above, BUT, in hot weather, its more of a problem. There are many places that don't allow dogs (Nat Trust houses) so I often face a choice of leaving mine in the van, or fastening her up outside and hoping she's there when I come back. Easier if you are in a gang, and can take it turns to do non-dog-friendly activities.

Obviously in the hot weather, leaving a dog in the van (even with privacy glass and silver screens) is not an option.

I still wouldn't be without her on a trip. I've not found a site that doesn't allow dogs, but some are much more relaxed and dog-friendly than others. Some sites claim to have a 'dog walk' but they mean a 10 yard long narrow strip for pooping etc.

We take ours everywhere also, she is even coming to the France meet , We have certaintly got our monies worth out of the pet passport ... Dogs deserve a holiday too :)

Martin said:
We take ours everywhere also, she is even coming to the France meet , We have certaintly got our monies worth out of the pet passport ... Dogs deserve a holiday too :)

I think ours had more fun at the farm she stayed at for a month than she would have done with us :lol:

we have always let our springer sit in the passengers footwell as thats where she is happiest. Now we have a cocker as well and are thinking a lap belt with a dog belt between the children. Does anyone know if a lap belt can be retro fitted to a California SE ?

Thanks

My retreiver travels in the back.....I have removed the back shelf as I always sleep upstairs and she sleeps below.
I have just brought an awning to give us somewhere to dry off in heavy rain but so far we have managed..... I have even managed 2 dogs for 4wet days

We've just got a Cockapoo (crate trained) and are wondering where he'll sleep (we have 2 kid's so all beds in use). We were thinking of putting his crate in a pup tent, but not sure he'll go for that, alternatively he could fit inside the camper, but not in his crate. Any experience welcome! We're worried if he comes in with us we'll undo all the good work with the crate training!

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_217 using Tapatalk

In a tent on his own may be a bit scary for him, we have two Westies and they both sleep on the floor mainly in the front footwells as they have been trodden on a couple of times during the night so they are quick learners, not too sure how big a cockapoo is but the front may work for him.

I will second opinion the ezi dog harness connectors. Brilliant.

Whe we, 2 dogs, Sister, myself, go away its Dogs and myself in the Cali and Sis in B and B.

She snores louder than the dogs :lol:

Thanks all think we'll try to passenger footwell first and take it from there!

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_217 using Tapatalk

Hi ,our Boston terrier really enjoyed travelling in the demo Cali we borrowed back in January and slept in his basket on the passenger seat facing inwards,we slept up top :D

Grainne our Irish terrier sleeps in her crate on the back shelf, where she also travels.

We have a smallish Rhodesian Ridgeback (only 40kg!) - he travels and sleeps on the rear 'parcel shelf' which we have the Brandrup protective cover on. We also have a universal dog guard attached to the headrests of the bench seat preventing him coming forward in an accident. He travels and sleeps there comfortably and will happily lie there in the sun with the back open and it leaves us with a 'boot' space underneath for bags.

I have just come back from a month in Spain. This time my golden retreiver dog travelled in the middle section of the van connected to a seat belt via her lead and a harness, and this worked well. She slept downstairs with me upstairs most of the time,and on the few occasions when I slept downstairs there is just room at the bottom of the bed for her to sleep on the floor. Interestingly when it got hot, she was happier outside in the shade than in the quick erect awning, so I did not use this most of the time.....but then we had hardly any rain!

Ours goes in the back if we're not camping (so no rear shelf) or in the middle if we are. She sleeps in a small pop up tent. So far, she's survived… :thumb

Hi Guy, where did you get your dog guard? That looks the perfect solution for my hound. :thumb

The missus bought it from Halfords for her mini; it's the extender one but we don't use the sides. A little bit of electrical tape wrapped around the headrest posts stops the hooks sliding down. If you play around with the height you can get it so you can drop both headrests (with guard attached) to access drop-down storage.

Back