Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Preparation for Winter

Simcon

Simcon

We bought our van in spring so this is its first winter. We plan to continue using it but do we need to prepare it in anyway. Should we fully drain the water for example and maybe leave the tap open?

Is there anything else we should consider.

Any advice much appreciated

We generally drain the water - although we did get caught out during one brief very cold spell and it froze - no damage was done though.

We always drain both tanks after every trip. But driving the Cali last weekend I noticed a knocking sound and surmised that there must have been a little water left the waste tank that had frozen and was making the noise. Drained some out when I got home so that explained it.

Thought there would have been more advise on ‘winter preparation’ ... we’ve drained the tanks and removed the upstairs mattress’s. We won’t be sleeping out over winter, just day trips. I’m sure someone on here said that if the van is being left ‘stationary’ they keep the tyre pressures a little higher than normal.

Drain it down job done
Use bottled water

Check your tyres.

I discovered that the standard Continental tyres were useless during winter months. This was discovered going over Snowdon in winter with rain, mud on road and high winds. It was hairy!

Remember that you have 3T that you are trying to control and want the best rubber on the road.

We now swap to steel wheels with Dunlop winter tyres at end of October and return the standard alloys and tyres end of March. No incidents since taking this approach.

Back