Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Price and availability of the 907

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This is what I find out and hopefully others might find it useful.

Price for an empty gas bottle 907 in halfords £25
Price for a filled gas bottle in Go Outdoors £79

VERY EASY TO GET IN FRANCE , ON THE SHELF AT LOCAL SUPERMARKETS AND CHEAPER TOO

Price for a filled new gas bottle in CORA france 49 Euro ( some of them were grotty )
Price for a refill ( exchange your empty one for a filled one 20 Euro

Price for a new filled 907 in Carrefor 55 Euro
Price for a refill ( exchange your empty on for a new one ) 25 Euro

Best wishes

• Informative
Reactions: DM
Prices in France compared to the U.K. are a joke.

However as I am on only my second bottle in four years I don't break out in a sweat over it, although as my existing bottle is now nearly empty it will be exchanged on my next wine-buying trip :D

Refill in Portugal, just 14 Euro for an official refill.

Over the border in Spain 'Cespa' gas stations will charge about 4 Euro to refill.

The cheapest we got a refill for in Morocco some years ago was €1 however, the cylinder was so grotty it was refused the next time we came to exchange it in the UK :(

Well I wouldn't have thought you would ever need to do it again, you've now got a bottle to get refilled. If you need a spare bays the answer, £5 for an empty is the usual rate.

This is the Campinggaz idea: When you buy your first, you buy the bottle, and you buy the filling. It's not like a deposit on the bottle: the bottle is yours, no Campinggaz dealer will buy it back.
When the bottle is empty, you go to a dealer, you pick up a full bottle and hand in your empty bottle. You swap the bottle, you buy the gas.
Make sure they don't swap your bottle for a very bad one that no other dealer will accept, then you will have to buy a new one.

Refilling your bottle is basically not within the Campinggaz concept. Having said that, in many countries where bottled gas is widely used, you will find gas stations that will refill your Campinggaz bottle rather than swap an empty for a full one.

907 bought in a supermarket in France during the past three weeks was about €22 as others have said much cheaper in Portugal from 'official suppliers'.
There are suppliers in southern Europe who will refill for much less but they don't always ensure that the cylinder is only filled to 80% and there is no certainty of what is in it. If a cylinder is filled completely there is a risk if liquid gas being delivered to your appliance. That is a potential flame thrower!! Your choice, just be careful.

Rod

However as I am on only my second bottle in four years I don't break out in a sweat over it, although as my existing bottle is now nearly empty it will be exchanged on my next wine-buying trip :D
Exchanged for wine ??

That really surprises me, you seem to be out & about loads and in all weathers - didn't think it'd last that long? Still, yet another benefit of the grape-oriented diet that I also advocate :D

That really surprises me, you seem to be out & about loads and in all weathers - didn't think it'd last that long? Still, yet another benefit of the grape-oriented diet that I also advocate :D

When I get home I will check my diary. It's either my second or third bottle. If I am wild or permissive camping then I minimise washing up and water heating, if on hook up use my oven a lot and if at a Britstop then use the hosts facilities so my hobs, even in the depths of a Scottish winter, are mostly used for brewing drinks or for my dried soups. One of the reasons why that despite all year round camping and on average spending three months a year in Albert I might consider a beach next time round.

Well I wouldn't have thought you would ever need to do it again, you've now got a bottle to get refilled. If you need a spare bays the answer, £5 for an empty is the usual rate.
Ive not a lot of experience with campinggaz 907 bottles but I am a qualified rescue scuba diver and I Ive seen what happens when a scuba bottle explodes. It happens if they get rusty and old looking , then someone decides to sand them down and repaint to save money possibly at the same time there's a crack in the metal and then it might look good when it's sanded and repainted but in fact it's a time bomb . Scuba tanks have to be stress tested , I don't know the rules on old camping gas bottles from eBay , many might be ok , but for me any risk isn't worth it , I'd rather get a new one .

Ive not a lot of experience with campinggaz 907 bottles but I am a qualified rescue scuba diver and I Ive seen what happens when a scuba bottle explodes. It happens if they get rusty and old looking , then someone decides to sand them down and repaint to save money possibly at the same time there's a crack in the metal and then it might look good when it's sanded and repainted but in fact it's a time bomb . Scuba tanks have to be stress tested , I don't know the rules on old camping gas bottles from eBay , many might be ok , but for me any risk isn't worth it , I'd rather get a new one .
No point in getting a new bottle as such because you are going to 'lose' it when you exchange it for a refill. You don't get your own bottle filled - you get a replacement full one. The only thing the dealers care about when you take it back is that it has the cap on. I've never had any comment about the state of the bottle. I'd like to think that the bottles are checked before they are refilled. But that's your choice when you pick up a refill - pick a bottle that looks in reasonable nick.

Last edited:
I've just sent an email to someone via Gumtree who has 2x 907 and 1x 904 for a fiver.

As DM says they exchange the bottle.

Seems to f
£35 now on their website (Inc £10 cylinder deposit) but still a good price.
Seems to flex between £30 and £35 from them via Ebay, maybe it depends how many they are selling..

@Niborn , scuba diving ....could it be the salt taking action on the metal?
Guess a campingaz botlle has a less stressfactor....

@Niborn , scuba diving ....could it be the salt taking action on the metal?
Guess a campingaz botlle has a less stressfactor....
I really don't know , but when the one exploded after the sun had been on it all day on a boat a guy was just there to pick up his hat which he forgot after a days diving , so it was about 7pm ; he lost both legs , probably lucky to be alive. I wasn't actually there on the boat, I heard the bang though from the restaurant nearby , we'd all been diving that day . It taught me a lesson about bottles filled with gas . I know at Carrefour this year when you make the exchange for 25 Euro all the bottles look brand new , so my new empty one for a new filled one is my choice . I don't care about saving £15 when as Granny Jen says one probably uses so few in a year .

Pressure difference of 300bar versus about 3bar make this a non comparison if you get what I mean. The valve on a 907 is a simple sprung ball in a rubbber seal.

Pressure difference of 300bar versus about 3bar make this a non comparison if you get what I mean. The valve on a 907 is a simple sprung ball in a rubbber seal.
That's a good point , a tank is normally between around 175 to 300, I think the max rating for the camping gas is only 30 and I suppose that rubber seal etc would give up first .

Go to your local waste transfer site (it gets called the dump in my area) and they will probably have a a caged area with all the gas bottles kept seperate, you will most likely find an old 907 in there and take it to go outdoors for a 'refill' and get a brand new one for around £30 (prices change all the time in go outdoors due to the sales)

Go to your local waste transfer site (it gets called the dump in my area) and they will probably have a a caged area with all the gas bottles kept seperate, you will most likely find an old 907 in there and take it to go outdoors for a 'refill' and get a brand new one for around £30 (prices change all the time in go outdoors due to the sales)
No chance around this neck of the woods....
"The County Council’s waste management contractor Viridor manages all the HWRS in West Sussex. As soon as the waste has been deposited at a site it becomes the property of Viridor and it is then illegal to sort, remove or purchase any item." From WSCC Website.

Back