Price difference between Beach and Ocean

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I was rather purplexed to see this variation in price....same dealer / DSGs / miles / years but the Beach is more expensive than the Ocean. One must be a bargain or the other a rip-off.
pricediff.JPG

That beach must be at least 10k over list price and that would be assuming it has lots of extras?

When I was looking for a van, I found a lot of dealers would advertise vans at a low price and would then only add the VAT on my asking. I did get a bit sick of this misleading practice. As to the van prices being a rip off, well yes they are. To my mind vw have been taking the p... out of customers for years.F

That beach must be at least 10k over list price and that would be assuming it has lots of extras?

A 150 dsg Beach with only a few basic options is 50k now.

Adding the 7 seats, the Parking heater and a few more toys can easily get to 55 grand.

What are the differences between a well spec'ed Beach and a basic Ocean?
1. Electric roof
2. Kitchen
3. Wardrobe
4. Water tank
5. Waste tank
6. 3rd battery
?others?

What additional options to a basic Ocean can a Beach have?
1. Awning
2. LED lights
3. ACC
4. DSG
5. Extra seats
6. Discover media
?others?

I can just about see how a well spec'ed Beach could outprice a basic Ocean.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Wow certainly glad I got on the bandwagon when I did then, shows how much it's changed. I had one of the last of the T5s and that was I think 36k base price and a around the 40k mark with extras. I paid about 33k I think in the end as a demo. I don't think I could justify spending over 50k as much as I love it.

What are the differences between a well spec'ed Beach and a basic Ocean?
1. Electric roof
2. Kitchen
3. Wardrobe
4. Water tank
5. Waste tank
6. 3rd battery
?others?

What additional options to a basic Ocean can a Beach have?
1. Awning
2. LED lights
3. ACC
4. DSG
5. Extra seats
6. Discover media
?others?

I can just about see how a well spec'ed Beach could outprice a basic Ocean.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

17" alloys
Front fogs
Heated seats? Are they standard on the Ocean?
MFSW? Is this standard on the Ocean?

Wow certainly glad I got on the bandwagon when I did then, shows how much it's changed. I had one of the last of the T5s and that was I think 36k base price and a around the 40k mark with extras. I paid about 33k I think in the end as a demo. I don't think I could justify spending over 50k as much as I love it.
The yellow Beach I posted a pic of the other day was over £60k.

The list below are the chargeable options available for the beach that come as standard on a basic Ocean. The cost of these, assuming you wanted them all, brings the cost of a Beach a lot closer to that of an Ocean.
I can't be bothered to add it up but I think its something like £8,000 leaving it only £2,500 cheaper than an Ocean

Heated seats
Upgraded dashboard
Double glazing
opening rear windows
parking heater
17" wheels
interior light upgrade
multifunction steering wheel
front fog lights
Lights & vision pack
12v socket & flashlight
power latching side door
power latching tailgate
heated folding wing mirrors
Climatronic
Uprated alternator

The list below are the chargeable options available for the beach that come as standard on a basic Ocean. The cost of these, assuming you wanted them all, brings the cost of a Beach a lot closer to that of an Ocean.
I can't be bothered to add it up but I think its something like £8,000 leaving it only £2,500 cheaper than an Ocean

Heated seats
Upgraded dashboard
Double glazing
opening rear windows
parking heater
17" wheels
interior light upgrade
front fog lights
Lights & vision pack
12v socket & flashlight
power latching side door
power latching tailgate
Climatronic
Uprated alternator

That seems about right, 2.5k less but no kitchen sink, hob or electrc roof.. it seemed to me when I ordered 2 years ago that the Ocean was better value than the Beach.

Heated seats
Upgraded dashboard
Double glazing
opening rear windows
parking heater
17" wheels
interior light upgrade
front fog lights
Lights & vision pack
12v socket & flashlight
power latching side door
power latching tailgate
Climatronic
Uprated alternator
H7 headlights
17" brakes
Alloy wheels
Probably a few more, the Ocean is a bargain!

So can anyone explain why the Ocean is £10 cheaper than the Beach, other than they forgot to add the VAT?

I didn't study the Beach spec in detail but it doesn't have all the options needed to bring them close (only 16" wheels etc).

Last edited:
Why can't someone just ring lookers up to find out. As too any vw California being a bargain, thats the best joke I have read. F

When I ordered my ocean, the price went up twice before I even collected and once again a few months ago. I reckon I could sell mine for more than I paid new even though it's 6 months old and has 7k miles.

Btw - does anyone know when the next price rise is scheduled?

Why can't someone just ring lookers up to find out.

That would be far to easy, & I don't get the impression that anyone contributing actually wants to buy either of those vans anyway.

I have been looking at the Ocean ad and it says "height adjustable drivers/passenger seat but also states swivelling seats" some of these dealers know jack s***. The Ocean seems cheap and the Beach expensive pricing wise. I do think Cali prices in Scotland tend to be cheaper than further south, maybe a good place to get a deal?

I paid £34k in 2012 for a 6 month ex demo with 50 miles on the clock.
Fairly well specced to be fair.
The T6 prices are hard to swollow, when I’ve been playing with the configurater.

I just specced as close as I could to my current vehicle.
I used the Tsi as the 150Tdi manual isn’t showing.

However £46500 ish to replace like for like.
Plus I will still need to add:

Parking heater £1900 option
Towbar £600
Alloy upgrade £1000
To replace like for like :shocked

I had a go at what I would want second time round £56800
The reason I went Cali Beach some years ago, was because it costs similar to a bespoke build, therefore the Cali made sense financially.
I wonder what the difference would be today, plus taking into consideration taxation above the £40k on new vehicles.
Perhaps the conversion route would be a better option...???

Last edited:
A well-specced panel van is not cheap, before you do the conversion...

At least the heater is cheaper!

Hello Matt,
I doubt if you'd be able to find a well specced 67 plate Beach demonstrator for £39,999, especially from a dealer. A current basic 150 ps DSG Beach has a list price of £45,885 before options.
The Beach advert does says "Huge Spec", so unbelievably it might actually be realistically priced. If it has been comprehensively specced it could easily have had a list price of anything up to and beyond £60k. Just try building your dream Beach on the VW configurator with LED headlights, adaptive cruise , parking heater, fancy pants paint etc etc and it soon adds up! Whether anyone would pay Lookers price is another matter and personally looking at that vehicle closely, I think they may have got the price wrong on the advert.
On the other hand the Ocean might just be a basic van, in which case that too could be a realistic price.
I paid £45k for my ex demo Beach in 2016. It too had a huge spec and would have had a list price of +£54k and that was nearly two years ago! Since then the options list has grown and so have their prices.

Last edited:
6 years old this year but I don't think you will have lost much. :thumb

Well there is a 2012 beach with 55k miles up for £33,990 on autotrader, so he might have lost a tenner, or approximately £1.67 /year for the last 6 years.

Thats an early beach & I would be surprised if it had factory fit parking heater or electrical hook up.

Back