Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pricing a second-hand Cali?

D

Dorchest

VIP Member
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a second-hand Cali but how do I work out what is a reasonable price as there doesn't seem to be many around?

The Cali I've been offered is from a main dealer and has been traded in. The details are:

VW California 174 SE 2.5L in shadow blue
5 years old in Oct 2012
47000 miles with full VW service history
Looks in very good condition with -
F/R parking sensors
Fixed tow-bar

The dealer will do the 50K service & MOT it. It will also come with a 12 month warranty.

Can anyone help with pricing this?

Any comments on this (engine) model?

Is it worth extending the warranty to three years for £780? (has anyone needed to use the extended warranty so it was money well spent?)

I plan to use it as my only vehicle for daily use & regular adventures.

Thanking you in advance.

Mike

P.S. Having such a supportive website/group like this is so reassuring when starting out with a camper van and spending so much money. Thank you everyone for sharing your experience.

If it is the VW Assured warranty then you need to be aware that the claim limit is £1500 (possibly a little more for a California) including VAT and there are restrictions on what is and what is not covered.

cheers

Good advice Alex. There a lot is expensive components on the California.

Are you financing? You'll find a newer one with manufacturers warranty, will probably be a very similar cost :thumb

Thanks for your replies guys.

By buying from a VW dealer (Heritage of Dorchester), I may pay a bit more than on the open market but I hope this brings the back-up and the peace of mind I'd expect from VW if anything goes wrong.

Their warranty is for 12 months and is shown on their website:

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/used-v ... anties.php

As they are not a California dealer, I've just seen basic operation of the camper because the van sales guy does not usually deal with California's so a lot of the features are new to him as well as me. He's been very helpful though.

Thanks again...........Mike

Hi Alex

The link I've posted above shows:

"When you buy an Assured Used Commercial Vehicle from Volkswagen we ensure that you have a minimum of 12 months warranty with no limit to the number or value of claims made, up to the purchase price paid for the vehicle."

Where does your £1500 limit come from or is the warranty different for each company selling VW's?

Regards..........Mike

The claim limit I was talking about is from the VW Assured warranty if you extended it yourself or bought it. Don't think that there is a claim limit if bought from a dealer, but it is not manufacturers warranty and if things do fail the dealer can only self-authorise claims up to £250 including VAT. In some cases the warranty company may want photo evidence and or to send an assessor out to inspect the vehicle.

Just some things to keep in mind when and if you had a warranty issue as it has to be approved by the warranty company before work can be done if over the limit. The warranty company do not always approve things immediately which can delay repairs.

Thanks

Very difficult at the moment, it is certainly a sellers market and I can only see prices going up once we see a glimmer of light and campsites reopen

Mega thread revival, nearly 11 years since the previous response!

Wait till the home schooled generation hit the streets. 21-12= err, umm, wait a minute I’ll get the calculator out.....:D

You are much better going for a vehicle with a VW backed warranty compared to other aftermarket warranties..They look good on the face of it but when it comes to making a claim for anything serious they have you jumping through hoops. Just read some of the feedback from Warranty Direct...

Back