Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem changing gas bottle.

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
In spite of changing the gas bottle several times in my 6 year ownership, I'm having a real problem this time. Even looked in the manual which tells you to fir the adapter and regulator BEFORE putting the cylinder into the gas locker. Well this just isn't possible as the gas pipe isn't long enough. As I said, done this before but this time I just can't get the gap pipe to fit onto the adapter! Yes I know it's left hand thread but just can't get it aligned properly. When I thought I had, it turned out to be cross-threaded!
I know Briwy's solution is the quick release connection but I have no time to get that sorted, has anyone got a clever fix for this? Or a clever trick to get the alignment right?

I'm going away tomorrow, only for the weekend so I can use my mini camping stove if I must, but it's really bugging me not being able to do this simple job!

As its something I have only done the once, I know I would want to see this again before I did it again.
Is this any help at all?

As its something I have only done the once, I know I would want to see this again before I did it again.
Is this any help at all?

Thanks for that but it doesn't actually help! He seems to have had no trouble locating the fitting, as I didn't last time. But last time was when I had to re-do it because the gas was leaking as I hadn't done it right. Today I just can't get it right!

Normally back twisting it on the thread until it clicks gets it aligned and you can thread it the correct way (having remembered the reverse thread, which you have). I have recently renewed my hose and I think is was a little tricky to get it aligned. I can't remember off the top of my head, but make sure if there is an olive in the connection that it hasn't slipped. If that was a bit further down the pipe sitting more proud it would make it difficult to engage the first bit of the thread.

Today I just can't get it right!
I know time is ticking away, but I reckon when you try again in the morning you'll do it. Just the way things go for me when I get a bit tense and frustrated.
Watch Cali Chris again in the morning, have a cuppa, deep breath, relax and be gentle...

Connector pointing towards the tail light is the advice from My California video.

Well there you go! Cup of tea and a smoke, two more attempts and the second one it went on with no problems! Thanks all for your input.

Sorry I’m late to the party, but glad you’ve got it fitted ok.

For any others tussling with a Gaz bottle, 3 things help get the fitting aligned for me. Start by lifting out the hose and valve assembly so that it’s clear of the recess, and lift in the bottle. Then,
1) position the bottle outlet at the 2 o’clock position when standing at the rear door. This seems to be the natural location for a standard length hose plus T-valve fitting.
2) Rotate the nut clockwise first until you feel it jump over the start of the thread, then start tightening anti-clockwise.
3) Once initially hand tight, push the valve assembly downwards, which will loosen the nut a little, retighten the nut by hand, then pull the valve assembly up to the horizontal using the valve as extra leverage.

Finally, place the rubber wedge between the bottle and water tank side wall to stabilise. I’ve also taken to placing a disc of old carpet under the bottle to further cut out rattles, and the prevent abrasion of the water tank.

Sorry I’m late to the party, but glad you’ve got it fitted ok.

For any others tussling with a Gaz bottle, 3 things help get the fitting aligned for me. Start by lifting out the hose and valve assembly so that it’s clear of the recess, and lift in the bottle. Then,
1) position the bottle outlet at the 2 o’clock position when standing at the rear door. This seems to be the natural location for a standard length hose plus T-valve fitting.
2) Rotate the nut clockwise first until you feel it jump over the start of the thread, then start tightening anti-clockwise.
3) Once initially hand tight, push the valve assembly downwards, which will loosen the nut a little, retighten the nut by hand, then pull the valve assembly up to the horizontal using the valve as extra leverage.

Finally, place the rubber wedge between the bottle and water tank side wall to stabilise. I’ve also taken to placing a disc of old carpet under the bottle to further cut out rattles, and the prevent abrasion of the water tank.
Some great tips there but I am concerned your carpet could block the drop vent which is there to let any gas leak fall out the bottom of the van. Please check that you haven't covered it over.

Some great tips there but I am concerned your carpet could block the drop vent which is there to let any gas leak fall out the bottom of the van. Please check that you haven't covered it over.
Good point - the protector is a doughnut shape :thumb

Thanks
Is that the same as My California’s advice to
Connector pointing towards the tail light” ?
Actually the exact opposite direction. I tried to first connect as instructed and found the hose needed to double over which wasn’t ideal.