Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem front cab mats

James Parkin

James Parkin

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

Recently purchased some front cab mats from VW for the Cali, told them the make, model etc. Noticed the screw fitting is different, the original is oval, the mats is circular and doesn’t fit. I’ve tried to unscrew the original fitting with a wrench but it just spins.
Do I need to use pliers to get it out?
Can someone please advise.
I’ve added some images just in case I’m unclear.

Cheers.
James

C4E67601-C03F-40CA-B9A9-C2DC0809DB7D.jpeg

38A96141-8F82-4B7D-B022-C3B506FEE01A.jpeg

Simply go back and let them (VW) sort it out.

Thanks for your reply.
I don’t live particularly local to the van centre and my work doesn’t permit me to go within their working times (I work 6-days a week) ... so hopefully I can resolve it myself.
Has anyone had experience with these mats, they’re the official ones.

Cheers.
James

They changed after 2014.
Brandrup sell the correct fitting that you need. 4.99€ for 4.1165.jpg

It’s the van centres mistake. Call the parts manager and ask him to post you the correct set (ie what you asked for). Promise to drop off the other set when you happen to be close.

Not sure the brandrup fitting shown would solve your rubber mat problem.

Had the same problem. VW parts said only one type / part No of Monster Mats made so couldn’t change for ones with oval holes. I just pulled the plastic parts out of the mats. Can’t really see the fixing and they have never moved.

Think I got them out with a twist of a large screwdriver between plastic and mat on the underside. Plastic part comes apart or breaks, either does the job.

Last edited:
I think they just push straight in, so should pull straight out...

I think the fixings changed - 2015 model year

Had the same problem. VW parts said only one type / part No of Monster Mats made so couldn’t change for ones with oval holes. I just pulled the plastic parts out of the mats. Can’t really see the fixing and they have never moved.

Think I got them out with a twist of a large screwdriver between plastic and mat on the underside. Plastic part comes apart or breaks, either does the job.

I just find it strange how they ask me the model and year of build and they give me mats which aren’t compatible with my van. :headbang To be honest I’m having nothing but trouble with my local VW JCT, this is the second out of two times they’ve misinformed me. Doesn’t make me feel too confident as the first service in my ownership is coming up imminently, haha! Seems they don’t know the Calis very well in my area!

Hopefully I can take them back ... I purchased them a fortnight ago, however have only had the chance to extensively clean the van since purchase and have only now actually attempted to put them in. They’ve never been used. :(
Worst case I do as you say, many thanks.

I just find it strange how they ask me the model and year of build and they give me mats which aren’t compatible with my van. :headbang To be honest I’m having nothing but trouble with my local VW JCT, this is the second out of two times they’ve misinformed me. Doesn’t make me feel too confident as the first service in my ownership is coming up imminently, haha! Seems they don’t know the Calis very well in my area!

Hopefully I can take them back ... I purchased them a fortnight ago, however have only had the chance to extensively clean the van since purchase and have only now actually attempted to put them in. They’ve never been used. :(
Worst case I do as you say, many thanks.
It was the same for me. Don’t be disheartened though, dealer only does what VW computer says. I run a business and know it’s very hard to be perfect all the time. If you want monster mats then snap out those pesky mounts. It makes no odds and they are great for the muck. Will stay perfectly in place and no one will ever know..... well apart from you... errr... and all of us.

Hi, I have round studs in the floor and oval holes in the mats, although I did receive oval studs in the mat kit. Can the round studs be removed in the floor carpet? Do they screw out?

f.jpg

g.jpg

i.jpg

Hi all,

Recently purchased some front cab mats from VW for the Cali, told them the make, model etc. Noticed the screw fitting is different, the original is oval, the mats is circular and doesn’t fit. I’ve tried to unscrew the original fitting with a wrench but it just spins.
Do I need to use pliers to get it out?
Can someone please advise.
I’ve added some images just in case I’m unclear.

Cheers.
James

View attachment 30116

View attachment 30117

I could do with those round fixings in your carpets? Maybe we could swap?

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Can the round studs be removed in the floor carpet? Do they screw out?
Do you have a close up picture of the new floor stud? Should give a clue as to how they come out.

The new oval stud screws in. I’ll get a photo tomorrow evening. My concern is turning the existing round stud in case it damages the carpet.

IF they unscrew I doubt would damage carpet. Wrap stud part with some electrical tape and a good pair of grips should undo them.

Encountered this problem today. I found it impossible to remove the existing oval retainers from the floor.
Don’t believe they screw in like the round replacement ones supplied with the mats.

I just pulled the plastic mouldings out of the mats as suggested, the holes go over the oval retainers so the mats are flush to the floor. They’re not attached to the fixings but I can’t see them going anywhere as the fixings protrude up enough to prevent the mats moving forward.

Encountered this problem today. I found it impossible to remove the existing oval retainers from the floor.
Don’t believe they screw in like the round replacement ones supplied with the mats.

I just pulled the plastic mouldings out of the mats as suggested, the holes go over the oval retainers so the mats are flush to the floor. They’re not attached to the fixings but I can’t see them going anywhere as the fixings protrude up enough to prevent the mats moving forward.

::Update::

They do exist after all. After sending VW parts some pics of the fittings they’ve supplied me the correct mats! They had to order them in, however. Personally I prefer the pattern to the replacements!

... and they were £20.00 cheaper, added bonus! :cheers

I got them from VW van centre in Sheffield.

Cheers.
James

23A19384-508B-4811-9BC4-E4A760BF3FB7.jpeg

03E549B0-C6DA-4E83-B091-F664305EBBAF.jpeg

Reactions: Sad
The round studs do not screw out. And the pattern in the mat is oval so it won’t take a round attachment clip.

6FA35E35-5CB1-48BA-B746-D2427B4CB8E8.jpeg

83B55827-96B2-41D6-9723-38DC9716D858.jpeg

33FDD779-8785-4C1D-8C9C-7D886D1F7E5F.jpeg

EABBF3DC-FC6A-46B7-9CCF-A7E016D2EC24.jpeg

C5DBEB13-E559-4107-8DAA-64619E0D98D8.jpeg

Doubt they’ll exchange mine now as I’ve ‘modified’ them.
Will know for next time should they wear out, thanks.

Local van centre were adamant there was only one variant.......

Hi. I had the same conversation with VW after buying the mats. They said, dont worry, the mats will just stay put anyway without fixings...and they were right. lack of fixing has not been an issue for over 6 months.

I recently had the same problem, bought a set of new monster mats from VW Edinburgh, went to fit the outside the dealership. They did not fit due to the new round holes, took them back in, no problem they said will get the correct ones for your T5, they had them in three days. VW can still provide the ones you need.

I recently had the same problem, bought a set of new monster mats from VW Edinburgh, went to fit the outside the dealership. They did not fit due to the new round holes, took them back in, no problem they said will get the correct ones for your T5, they had them in three days. VW can still provide the ones you need.
Any chance you can post the part number?

Back