Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem with Front Driver's Door Closing Itself

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
As I closed the door today I heard something metallic like breaking. I then discovered that the door, which normally is held open in a couple of open positions (half way open and fully open) is now springing back by itself and closing.

I've compared the mechanicals with the passenger door, but nothing immediately jumps out as being different.

Any suggestions as to what is causing the problem would be welcome please?

Thanks.

This link shows the parts of the door. It could be Part 3 is the problem. The bar, in the enlarged plan below, is tensioned to hold the door open in set positions. Check it out and compare with the other side, especially when opening to widest position.
IMG_0159.PNG

If you have look below the bottom hinge there should be a plate with semicircular slots in it. A spring loaded roller fits into the slots which gives the two open positions. Sounds like either the plate has broken/come off or the roller assembly has a problem. Either way the roller obviously isn't engaging in the slots and holding the door open.

Hi there - I had a good look just now, and the U bend piece which holds the bolt which clicks into the semi round notches had sheered - through age/use I guess. Although not entirely sheered through, it does not have sufficient strength to tension the bolt into the notches correctly.

I'm hoping that I can just get a replacement for the "u-bend".

I'm sure others will start to experience this with Cali's 4 years old or more.

Hi there - I had a good look just now, and the U bend piece which holds the bolt which clicks into the semi round notches had sheered - through age/use I guess. Although not entirely sheered through, it does not have sufficient strength to tension the bolt into the notches correctly.

I'm hoping that I can just get a replacement for the "u-bend".

I'm sure others will start to experience this with Cali's 4 years old or more.
http://etka.cc/vw/part_single/catal...831/subcategory/831010/part_id/3689053/lang/e

Part 3 LH or RH is a complete unit.

The above link will give you the VW part number.

There are some on eBay DE and FR Right Hand only at about 25€ + postage. I would check out your local Dealership.

Last edited:
Might be able to get it welded up if it's still in the correct position. Try a local garage and see what they think.
If they use an electric welder rather than gas probably best to disconnect batteries first.

Might be able to get it welded up if it's still in the correct position. Try a local garage and see what they think.
If they use an electric welder rather than gas probably best to disconnect batteries first.
I think its a "C" shape piece of spring steel Brian..

Personally I would replace the Unit. You would have to remove it to weld it and I very much doubt that welding would give a lasting result.

Thanks Guys for the advice and links - The part which is broken is definitely providing the "spring" tension, so I think better to replace then weld.

As an aside I was getting a heap of heavy library books of the front seat this afternoon and found it quite useful to step away from the door to let it shut itself!!

Best Wishes.

Back