Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem with New Bike Rack

T

TheWylieFox

VIP Member
Bought my new Califonia in September last year, i had a removable towbar & electrics fitted and after looking at various websites i bought a Thule 925 rack, it seemed ideal because you could tilt the rack with the bikes on to gain access to the rear...
Alas ! , although it tilts it doesn't tilt enough to allow the rear tailgate to open....
We are off to France in 1 months for 12 weeks and wonder if anyone has any suggestions..
I had intended to leave the bikes permanently mounted ( locked ) onto the rack when not in use, i don't think it's feasible to keep removing the bikes & rack every time we need access to the rear...

Regards

TheWylieFox

This won't help you, but we originally purchased a Thule rack and when I fitted it for the first time and realised I couldn't open the tailgate I sent it back and ordered the Atera Strada

This won't help you, but we originally purchased a Thule rack and when I fitted it for the first time and realised I couldn't open the tailgate I sent it back and ordered the Atera Strada

Can you remember which Thule it was. I have just bought a Thule euroclassic g6 929 for 3 bikes. I have been told it will allow the tailgate to clear it but haven't tried it. Which model did you have problems with?

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic

I have a Atera Strada Evo3 if anyone is local and would like to try clearance.
or if you an wait I'll post up pics when my van arrives next month

Can you remember which Thule it was. I have just bought a Thule euroclassic g6 929 for 3 bikes. I have been told it will allow the tailgate to clear it but haven't tried it. Which model did you have problems with?

1963 15 window splitscreen
2015 California SE 180 DSG Blackberry metallic
Sorry I can't help with an answer, I bought the rack over 2 years ago when we bought our Cali, so I can't remember which Thule rack it was.

We have an Atera too, which does allow the door to open (just).

We bought a Thule and it does allow the tailgate to open; one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D3JSVU/?tag=eliteelect-21

You have to position the pedals on the inner bike so that the one nearest the tailgate is in the 12 o'clock position. You can also swivel the position of the rack on the tow bar slightly in increase the clearance

I checked my towbar rack its a THULE 931 Easyfold, maybe the prblem might be the actual towbar thats fitted, it has a removable ball ?

I checked my towbar rack its a THULE 931 Easyfold, maybe the prblem might be the actual towbar thats fitted, it has a removable ball ?

Thank you. Mine is the Thule g6 euroclassic 929, so keeping my fingers crossed or it could have been a very expensive mistake

Richard

Thank you. Mine is the Thule g6 euroclassic 929, so keeping my fingers crossed or it could have been a very expensive mistake

Richard
Hi.

Have you had success with the Thule EuroClassic G6 929? Does it tilt sufficiently, to allow the tailgate to open when loaded with bikes?

Thanks, Jonathan

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Les
I have the Thule G6 929 with the fourth bike adapter. The wires that holds the stand when folded down can be moved so that the stand can be dropped at a more flat level. When rack is without bike, you have to lean on it to make the gate clear, when you have bikes mounted it leans enough by itself.
I will anyhow order the vw rack for the door anyway, seems much more convenient, the 929 is quite heavy to mount and unmount.

Anyone can advise on the suitability of the Buzzrack easytilt 2?

View attachment 20761
Bought my new Califonia in September last year, i had a removable towbar & electrics fitted and after looking at various websites i bought a Thule 925 rack, it seemed ideal because you could tilt the rack with the bikes on to gain access to the rear...
Alas ! , although it tilts it doesn't tilt enough to allow the rear tailgate to open....
We are off to France in 1 months for 12 weeks and wonder if anyone has any suggestions..
I had intended to leave the bikes permanently mounted ( locked ) onto the rack when not in use, i don't think it's feasible to keep removing the bikes & rack every time we need access to the rear...

Regards

TheWylieFox

I have a Thule 925 I used with a previous vehicle and like TheWylieFox was disappointed to find that the rack stopped the tailgate on my T6 Ocean from opening. Inspired by another post in the last week or so about a similar problem with another Thule rack I investigated further. (I now can't find the earlier post :cool:)

The solution is quite simple, by removing 2 plastic bungs/end stops in the tilting part the rack can be made to tip further back and allow the tailgate to open with the rack and bikes still in place. As the rack now tilts further back, care needs to be taken as the bikes will reach the ground if taken all the way.

IMG_2597.JPG
One of the 2 end stops in situ
IMG_2959.JPG

Shows the bikes laid on the ground, but you don't have to go this far to be able to open the hatch.

Last edited: