Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem with roof

S

Supergran

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I can't find this problem on any thread.
We have had our California 18 months and have not used it a lot. We. Have found that the roof support near the top at the front seems to have twisted. This does not affect the operation of the roof but has caused a small tear at the top. This appeared after a couple of months without using the roof mechanism. The roof had not been trapped causing the tear, I am sure if that. It does not leak at present, but I am sure it will given enough rain.
We will contact our dealer on our return but wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem.

Any advice or shared experience welcome
Supergran

IMG_4102.JPG

IMG_4105.JPG

IMG_4105.JPG

That is the plastic elasticated folding strip which is sewn into the roof top and bottom and contained in a pouch in the fabric. This makes sure the roof canvas folds inwards correctly when you drop the roof. It looks like the plastic strip has torn away from the stitching at the top, possibly when it got trapped under the roof edge at some point in the past.

Alternatively, if it looks the same at the bottom, then I suspect the whole thing may have twisted round in the pouch somehow and it should be possible to manipulate it back into the correct position.

As the tear in the canvas is very high up, I doubt rain will cause you a problem. The vent is much bigger next to it and we have never had a leak through that yet.

Alan