Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems following Roof Corrosion Repair

A

Andy Chivers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had problems following the corrosion repair, especially with hydraulic pipes etc... And how VW dealt with this.

Hi, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had problems following the corrosion repair, especially with hydraulic pipes etc... And how VW dealt with this.

Andy, have a look at my post on the Elevating roof part of the forum (Warranty Question). I have just updated it with my experience ☹️

Has anyone had their roof repaired by Breeze VW Poole and if so where was it done / how long did it take / end result ?

Has anyone had their roof repaired by Breeze VW Poole and if so where was it done / how long did it take / end result ?
mine was logged by Breeze Totton and the work done by VW Herritage in Bristol. This was the original repair where the front section was replaced. At that time I dont think Breeze were doing any of the repairs.
No issue with hydraulics as the Beach doesent have any !
I did send it back however as the roof wasn't closing properly. A 2 cm gap on the rear nearside corner and they had not bolted the scissor mechanism back correctly (missed one of the bolts completly).

Thanks for that Owen _ H . Doesn't inspire you with confidence does it ?

Just had roof repair done and now . Now water leaks on from the repair. It appears on passanger side footwell from behind the glove box.Anyone had this issue

I booked ours through Breeze, Poole, in July 2014 and was assigned to Heritage at Westbury. One of the original 4 companies qualified to do the roof.

As I didn't need a loan car it was done in February 2015. A perfect job which has caused us no problems since.

Unfortunately Westbury have stooped doing commercial body repairs now, only looking after their showroom Pre Delivery Inspection repairs.

Alan

I have just had my 09 Cali back from its second attempted roof repair, 10 weeks it was away but they did give me a courtesy van for the duration. It had been on the waiting list for the last 4 years. The van came back with the usual hand prints on roof lining and swarf from repairs left on the sink top that I have come to expect every time my van is put with VW for repair or service, and on this occasion a strong smell of damp and staining on the drivers seat as well. I am still waiting for my report on what has taken 10 weeks to complete which I was promised. At the moment it all seems ok but I do have one question. Should there be a seal along the back of the new panel? On mine there is a big gap which I assume water will leak into. (see attached photos)

This is how mine look for comparisonroofseal.jpg
There is a rubber seal to the front section.

I have just had my 09 Cali back from its second attempted roof repair, 10 weeks it was away but they did give me a courtesy van for the duration. It had been on the waiting list for the last 4 years. The van came back with the usual hand prints on roof lining and swarf from repairs left on the sink top that I have come to expect every time my van is put with VW for repair or service, and on this occasion a strong smell of damp and staining on the drivers seat as well. I am still waiting for my report on what has taken 10 weeks to complete which I was promised. At the moment it all seems ok but I do have one question. Should there be a seal along the back of the new panel? On mine there is a big gap which I assume water will leak into. (see attached photos)
It looks like the new panel has been fitted too far forward. What does it look like above the windscreen?

Hi thanks for the quick response. I thought there should be a seal. The panel looks ok from the front. I am just about to contact Customer Care againVan front panel edge.jpg

Van front panel edge.jpg

Mine is 100% the same as Diggers photo.

I think your seal to the front section has been fitted wrongly. On mine you cannot see the step in front section as the seal is in the way.

With the seals in place only the top horizontal painted parts are visible, the vertical surfaces are covered by rubber.

The gap between the raising roof & the front section on yours initialy looked wrong to me but I've just looked out the window & reckon my gap is about the same 25-30mm at a guess.

My seal flaps onto the front part. Yours looks wrong.
Of course you know that.
I cannot understand why though, Maybe a T6 seal ????

I have contacted VW with my thoughts, I will let you know their response.
We have added up the time the vehicle has been away from us for roof repairs since we purchased it 7 years ago and it amounts to 6 month plus! I love the van but would I buy another vehicle from VW, I very much doubt it. My friend has a 10 plate T5 conversion and prefers our layout. He was going to buy a new Cali next year but has now been put off by the quality of the repairs and warranty work we have had done over the years. I think he is heading for the Merc.

Still waiting! Apparently the body shop is preparing a report (excuse) which I was promised by the body shop before the work was carried out. Surely they have invoiced VW for the work and in this invoice would be a break down of works carried out? Rapidly losing the will to have anymore dealings with VAG in the future.

Still waiting! Apparently the body shop is preparing a report (excuse) which I was promised by the body shop before the work was carried out. Surely they have invoiced VW for the work and in this invoice would be a break down of works carried out? Rapidly losing the will to have anymore dealings with VAG in the future.

Your not the only one.
Nearly bought a new T6 Beach last month, pulled out of purchase last second. But after this roof corrosion issue i won’t be ordering a replacement until I’m satisfied roof corrosion is sorted.
If Volkswagen don’t rectify this issue on new vehicles within the next year or two, I will be ordering a conversion to suit.

I have received my detailed report from the repair centre, see below exact copy of content of email regarding the repair.

• Replaced aluminium front roof capping with a composite capping
  • Remove rubber seal on pop up roof
  • Eradicated corrosion
  • Painted roof + refitted with a new seal
No mention of why the roof seal does not appear to fit correctly, the water staining on my seats or the constant smell of damp and this comprehensive report took them 6 weeks to deliver after the 10 weeks it took them to complete the work.

No more VW's for me, my friends and family as they have all followed the issues I have had over the last 8 years with interest.

I have received my detailed report from the repair centre, see below exact copy of content of email regarding the repair.

• Replaced aluminium front roof capping with a composite capping
  • Remove rubber seal on pop up roof
  • Eradicated corrosion
  • Painted roof + refitted with a new seal
No mention of why the roof seal does not appear to fit correctly, the water staining on my seats or the constant smell of damp and this comprehensive report took them 6 weeks to deliver after the 10 weeks it took them to complete the work.

No more VW's for me, my friends and family as they have all followed the issues I have had over the last 8 years with interest.
That is disgraceful. Commiserations!

Doesn´t look like a new seal to me.
Diggers does.
Did you show them the picture of how it should look.

Name and shame the repair outfit. This is what happens when VW outsource and try to wash their hands of their responsibilities. VW make excellent vehicles apart from the roof issue (which they could fix if they listened). They are let down time and time again by a woeful customer service lot here in the UK and need to get a grip.

So, I have finally had my roof looked at again by the company who carried out the this attempted repair back in November. The vehicle has been returned and all I can see is that they have put some sealant in the gap between the new roof panel and the bodywork. Having spoken to the repair center, they have said that they have repaired the vehicle in line with VW's repair recommendations. I have been in constant contact with VW customer services and have asked if they can give me the recommended repair instructions so I can get it independently checked. They are unable to do this. They have agreed that if I can get some images of other Calis that have had a recent repair they will look at it again. If anyone would be kind enough to put some images of their repair I would be extremely grateful. My issue is the big gap between the raising roof and the new repaired front (see images below). I have seen some vans that do not have this gap or have another type of seal.

Having received my California back from the dealers (I'll do them a favour and withhold their identity for now) for the very long awaited roof corrosion repair, I am quite shocked by the poor quality of the work. They had the van for three weeks and have fitted the new cap/cover which is all very nice but the sealant across the front above the screen looks like a 5 year old has applied it. Furthermore, the rubber seal behind the cap doesn't fit correctly and there's now a 15mm gap/trough between the new cap and the elevating roof edge. Surely this cannot be right?
So, I'd appreciate any photos taken after the completed work of how it should (or catagorically shouldn't!) look.
Many thanks, Mark.

Back