Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems screwing/unscrewing clamps

Stolly

Stolly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi I’ve had a VW bike rack on our cali since new at the end of 2016 but, this year, we’ve actually started using it for carrying bikes! (It’s also been a fantastic wet suit dryer and washing line in the interim).

The trouble is the clamps, that connect to our bike crossbars, just don’t screw or unscrew at all. Someone has suggested spraying with WD40, waiting a couple of days and seeing if that works. I’ve just sprayed and we’ll see but has anybody else had this problem?

Hi I’ve had a VW bike rack on our cali since new at the end of 2016 but, this year, we’ve actually started using it for carrying bikes! (It’s also been a fantastic wet suit dryer and washing line in the interim).

The trouble is the clamps, that connect to our bike crossbars, just don’t screw or unscrew at all. Someone has suggested spraying with WD40, waiting a couple of days and seeing if that works. I’ve just sprayed and we’ll see but has anybody else had this problem?
Should work but if not you could try. ‘Freeze and Release’ spray and/or gentle heat with a hair dryer?

Just to clarify, the plastic knobs do turn freely but they just have no traction over the threaded central pole so the clamps don’t open or shut at all

I haven’t got the VW bike rack anymore but if I recall correctly the knobs spin when they are locked? Could it be that they need unlocking?

Just to clarify, the plastic knobs do turn freely but they just have no traction over the threaded central pole so the clamps don’t open or shut at all
I think that’s what happens when they are locked. Mine did the same. Unlocking them and they worked ok.
As mentioned above as well.

Haha I tried that. The knobs don’t turn at all it I turn the key so I figured they’re unlocked if they spin. Either way the clamps don’t open or shut

Ours seized, which was annoying as we regularly see them. After a lot of WD40, twists etc they eventually freed. I now keep all of them off the rack, in a bag the rear of van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to me. Crazy replacement price so I made my own replacement.

If they aren’t turning when unlocked (which you had perhaps assumed was the locked position), then they are seized. Get some WD40 into them to free them up, then apply some grease to stop them seizing again

Thanks all for your fantastic help. As some guessed my problem was that I had assumed that the knobs were unlocked because they span freely and we’re stuck in place when I thought I was unlocking them. They were all of course locked and now, after a good thrashing with WD40, three of my four bike clasps work perfectly and the fourth has had a second dose of WD40

Thanks all for your fantastic help. As some guessed my problem was that I had assumed that the knobs were unlocked because they span freely and we’re stuck in place when I thought I was unlocking them. They were all of course locked and now, after a good thrashing with WD40, three of my four bike clasps work perfectly and the fourth has had a second dose of WD40
I would now suggest removing them, a good clean and then oil or grease the threads etc. WD40 is not really a longterm lubricant.

Back