Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems with Apple iPod connection

Martin Batt

Martin Batt

Seventies Surfer
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This possibly seems to be a common problem, but one which seems to have stumped the three VW Commercial dealerships that I've discussed it with... including Manchester, York and SMG Cowfold. When I hook up my Apple IPod Classic 120Gb (2008 vintage) to the USB socket in the glove box, it works fine for a minute or so, and then the signal starts to drop out with a pop every 10-15 secs. Strangely, it worked fine in Ireland and then in France for a month this summer. It started doing it again as soon as we got back from both trips. I've tried different leads and volume settings, to no avail. The guys at SMG said they'd had a problem with this model of iPod in a Mercedes saloon, too. Pity, as there's about 8,500 great tracks I can't access in the Cali, but all work fine in my wife's Golf. Any ideas, anyone? - apart from taking the Golf on our trips instead - with a tent, like the old days....

I copied my CD collection from iTunes onto the hard drive and a SD card so I can access directly from the Rds 510. Just enough capacity to get the lot on a card and the hard drive. No USB, so I didn't have that option. Do you have a AUX audio socket that you could use rather than the USB?

I copied my CD collection from iTunes onto the hard drive and a SD card so I can access directly from the Rds 510. Just enough capacity to get the lot on a card and the hard drive. No USB, so I didn't have that option. Do you have a AUX audio socket that you could use rather than the USB?
Hi Alec
Yes, there is a phono type aux socket, but it doesn't work with the iPod... How do I access and upload to the hard drive on RDS 510? This is getting complicated!

If you connect the headphone output from the iPod to the Aux input using a double ended cable you should be able to select Aux on the RDS510 and listen to the iPod.
To load music onto the Hard drive of the 510 you need to copy from your PC onto a SD card then plug that into the slot on the 510 and copy onto the hard drive. The files are on my PC under Music/iTunes/iTunes media/Music then there is a folder for each artist. I have copied all mine into folders of alphabetical groupings before putting onto the SD card to make selection a bit easier. Once I filled the Hard drive I left the rest on the SD card so I have select either depending on which bit of the alphabet the artists is in.

When I hook up my Apple IPod Classic 120Gb (2008 vintage) to the USB socket in the glove box, it works fine for a minute or so, and then the signal starts to drop out with a pop
The iPod classic has very small hard drive so uses more power than modern ones, and it is possible that the power requirements might be on the upper limit of what the media system can supply.

Does it work for a while longer if charged up at home just before putting it in the Cali?
Can you transfer the music to an SD card?

If you connect the headphone output from the iPod to the Aux input using a double ended cable you should be able to select Aux on the RDS510 and listen to the iPod.
To load music onto the Hard drive of the 510 you need to copy from your PC onto a SD card then plug that into the slot on the 510 and copy onto the hard drive. The files are on my PC under Music/iTunes/iTunes media/Music then there is a folder for each artist. I have copied all mine into folders of alphabetical groupings before putting onto the SD card to make selection a bit easier. Once I filled the Hard drive I left the rest on the SD card so I have select either depending on which bit of the alphabet the artists is in.

Thanks ArunAlec... Just tried that and the iPod plays fine through the AUX socket with phono lead. No more pops and clicks. I'll also try the SD card suggestion
The iPod classic has very small hard drive so uses more power than modern ones, and it is possible that the power requirements might be on the upper limit of what the media system can supply.

Does it work for a while longer if charged up at home just before putting it in the Cali?
Can you transfer the music to an SD card?

Hi Loz. The iPod Classic actually has a 120Gb hard drive, so quite large really - and it has worked fine when out of the UK, for some weird reason. The RDS510 system charges the iPod at the same time as playing, so it's nearly always on full battery. I'm going to try the SD card suggestion as well. Cheers

Thanks ArunAlec... Just tried that and the iPod plays fine through the AUX socket with phono lead. No more pops and clicks. I'll also try the SD card suggestion

Hi Loz. The iPod Classic actually has a 120Gb hard drive, so quite large really - and it has worked fine when out of the UK, for some weird reason. The RDS510 system charges the iPod at the same time as playing, so it's nearly always on full battery. I'm going to try the SD card suggestion as well. Cheers
I meant small in physical size but yes large in capacity so draws more charging currant than a modern iPod..
I took one apart for a friend that had died and recovered his music.
IMG_2399.jpg

Back