Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Projector

Ian Burton

Ian Burton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm looking to use a mobile projector (e.g. Nebula capsule) whilst camping. Has anyone out there used a projector in there Cali. Whats the best way to set up to watching films (I have an iPhone so it won't mirror!), thanks.

We use a mifi device and then stream from Netflix or Amazon Prime

I'm looking to use a mobile projector (e.g. Nebula capsule) whilst camping. Has anyone out there used a projector in there Cali. Whats the best way to set up to watching films (I have an iPhone so it won't mirror!), thanks.
Can you use a lightning connector to connect your nebula to your iPhone ????

We bought a mini smart projector for our van new from E-Bay. It is roughly the same size as my iPhone XR and It does ‘screen mirror’ from iPhone. It comes with a remote control but also can use your iPhone as mouse pad via ‘e-share’ app. Connect using phones ‘hotspot’ and the projector can access internet services or has USB ports for media. We sit it at sink in our Cali and project onto blind at sliding door, screen size is the size of the blind, approx 40”. Definitely recommend. You won’t be disappointed. Just make sure you have a good data allowance on phone contract :)

6A267001-3AD9-4516-AC4D-CCD8CFF3F802.png

I have a Optoma LV130 rechargeable projector which is excellent. £150 on eBay. It has a Chromecast on the HDMI socket which is powered by the projectors USB connector.

We also have a Huawei 4g mobile router which provides a wi-fi network which the chromecast and other devices connect to and which then allows you to cast wirelessly anything like Netflix to the projector.

In my geeky lockdown time I have also just set up a Raspberry Pi with TV Hat (cost about £50) which gives us wireless Freeview TV, with pausing and recording functionality to any device connected on the same network, e.g. iPad, phones, and also to the Chromecast.

It all works a treat - now just need our new T6.1 which I expect is gathering cobwebs on a production line!

I have a nebula capsule and I use a fire stick using my mobile data and also link the nebula to my Bose Bluetooth speakers to enhance the sound !

Where does everyone sit whilst projecting onto the screen over sliding door?
I have a small nobo projector, about half the size of my phone BTW

There are generally 4 of us so not much choice where to sit. We find it better to project onto the blind above the hob to avoid anyone being too close.
If just 2 of us I have a freestanding screen that rests on the front seats and we both sit on the bench seat. No idea what my daughter was sitting on in this picture but obviously thinks being closer to the screen is going to give her an advantage!
1586036150133.jpg

There are generally 4 of us so not much choice where to sit. We find it better to project onto the blind above the hob to avoid anyone being too close.
If just 2 of us I have a freestanding screen that rests on the front seats and we both sit on the bench seat. No idea what my daughter was sitting on in this picture but obviously thinks being closer to the screen is going to give her an advantage!
View attachment 64810
Looks great, yes your daughter has taken the front row ...lol

I put small led projector behind head on drop down rear shelf and have popup screen on the front swivel chairs. Confectedvia cable to phone and Bluetooth to speakers in van works well.
Gets me a cinema sound and vision for a cosy night. Only when its inclement of course.

I have the Viewsonic.

It’s a fab bit of kit apart from, it seems, battery time is less than the average film which pretty much makes it a paper weight at best!.
I’ve yet to find a 12v based power supply for it.

Streaming is simple, just download film/tv prog to iPhone/pad and plug in.

Another fail is we have yet to figure out the optimum screen.
I have a fabric one at home in the garden stretched on a wall but it’s all but useless in any breeze on a campsite.

Also have the view sonic and very pleased with it. I think a universal lap top charger like this one would work as a power supply but we only really use when on hookup so to tight to shell out the £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071SDW4QG/?tag=eliteelect-21
Indeed. I have the mains charger that came with but I need a 12v solution when not hooked-up.
I’ve made up a 12v lead but not tried it yet.
charger output is 19v so not sure if it will work on just 12. ?

Indeed. I have the mains charger that came with but I need a 12v solution when not hooked-up.
I’ve made up a 12v lead but not tried it yet.
charger output is 19v so not sure if it will work on just 12. ?
Be interested to know if that works. I had just assumed it would need something like in the link to go from 12v - 19v.

Just bought a nebula max and a duronic 50 inch screen which sits nicely on the ledges above the cab allowing us to watch movies comfortably from bed. It’s genius... the screen rolls up and sits in the boot. Also comes in a handy bag. We love it. This is the screen... Duronic DPS50/43 Portable Desktop... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KC8366/?tag=eliteelect-212685174B-3997-4EE2-9D9B-ED5EDC063A09.jpeg

I have a nebula capsule and I use a fire stick using my mobile data and also link the nebula to my Bose Bluetooth speakers to enhance the sound !
Hello, just come across this post. I’ve ordered a Nebula and looking to get a fire stick too. How do you power the stick? Does an adapter go into mini USB port?

Just bought a nebula max and a duronic 50 inch screen which sits nicely on the ledges above the cab allowing us to watch movies comfortably from bed. It’s genius... the screen rolls up and sits in the boot. Also comes in a handy bag. We love it. This is the screen... Duronic DPS50/43 Portable Desktop... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KC8366/?tag=eliteelect-21View attachment 64815
I love this setup. Looks really nice, like a very comfortable home cinema. I wonder though, when and where would you use this? I ask, because I can't imagine how the sound wouldn't disturb others. Or do you use headphones?

Just bought a nebula max and a duronic 50 inch screen which sits nicely on the ledges above the cab allowing us to watch movies comfortably from bed. It’s genius... the screen rolls up and sits in the boot. Also comes in a handy bag. We love it. This is the screen... Duronic DPS50/43 Portable Desktop... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071KC8366/?tag=eliteelect-21View attachment 64815
Like this screen but slightly concerned on it falling forward. Chilli a YouTube blogger from Taiwan uses a simple screen suspended by two cotton loops from the top edge of the front wall. My research has now narrowed it down to a choice of two projectors Viewsonic m2 will power from a pd power bank via usb c has in built Netflix etc. Or the Philips picopix max has Android 9 and inbuilt battery. Both have 4 corner correction so can correct the image. Max has a digital zoom so distance to the screen is less important than the m2. Siting the projector on the fridge lid or on the shelf above the wardrobe is the issue still to solve and being sure there are no shadows caused when in use from the ledges above the cab. Think that a 16: 9 image towards the top of the screen should sort this problem out. We have a 6.1 ocean

Hi, I'm trying to work out which nebula to get? The Max or V2, both have pros and cons BUT my main question is how do you charge the max when out without usb c connection? Am I being stupid and it plugs into the plug when on hook-up?

I think I have the max - cost about £450. It sits on the ledge above the cupboard when the roof bed is up. The wire doesn't reach to the plug behind the passenger seat, but if you need to charge it, a short extension lead is all you need. The nebulas are great. The key thing is the brightness, and as far as I could work out, the max was brightest. It's bright enough to use in the day in the roof (projector has to be upstairs obvilously), but not really bright enough when there's a lot of ambient light. The interface and app loading experience is a little clunky - it's not an apple type experience! All in all it's a great van experience, and I'd recommend.

Hi, I'm trying to work out which nebula to get? The Max or V2, both have pros and cons BUT my main question is how do you charge the max when out without usb c connection? Am I being stupid and it plugs into the plug when on hook-up?
Plugs into the normal socket on EHU. You could also charge on the inverter if off EHU (the charger W is fine), but be careful of what Cali you have - older ones goose the chargers.

We have the max - we sit it on the corner of the fridge and project onto a screen we hang with the printed brackets. It's a canny setup - have to use the keystone function on the max to straighten the image up, but works well. That way we can keep plugged in on EHU. TBH a USB-C would have been better on the Max than the current old style male plug, but hey ho.

Looking online the Max and 2 are virtually the same capsule with the 2 being the latest. The 2 is USB-C powered so for my money, if I was you, I'd go for the 2. It also has Android TV rather than just overlaid Android Phone software, so another reason to use the 2.

Last edited:
Looking online the Max and 2 are virtually the same capsule with the 2 being the latest. The 2 is USB-C powered so for my money, if I was you, I'd go for the 2. It also has Android TV rather than just overlaid Android Phone software, so another reason to use the 2.
What about the Capsule 3?
:)

Plugs into the normal socket on EHU. You could also charge on the inverter if off EHU (the charger W is fine), but be careful of what Cali you have - older ones goose the chargers.

We have the max - we sit it on the corner of the fridge and project onto a screen we hang with the printed brackets. It's a canny setup - have to use the keystone function on the max to straighten the image up, but works well. That way we can keep plugged in on EHU. TBH a USB-C would have been better on the Max than the current old style male plug, but hey ho.

Thanks, got a 2015 Cali so was concerned with "goosing" the charger

Get the basic one, then charges off USB, problem solved.

Get the basic one, then charges off USB, problem solved.
I’m looking at protectors in Black Friday sales. The nebula capsule max doesn’t have usb charging. Is this not an issue?

The basic mini one lacks some of the features that the more expensive ones have but no usb charging seems like an oversight.