Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Propane or butane?

Patrick T

Patrick T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
On a particularly chilly trip this winter my cooker wouldn't work think the butane camping gaz was too cold to vaporise ? As the bottle has just run out and I'm about to change for a fresh one I was wondering if using propane or a mixture would prevent this happening again ? Anyone else had this issue ??
Thanks

Butane will work above -2 degrees whilst propane will work above -42 degrees. However if you are using the gas in the Cali in winter it is likely that you will also have heat in the vehicle and so you could just open the rear cupboard and remove the black plastic cover over the cylinder to let a bit of warmth in. Propane is the ideal solution but we have camped in a fair bit of cold weather and have never had a problem getting the gas to work and we use butane.

On a particularly chilly trip this winter my cooker wouldn't work think the butane camping gaz was too cold to vaporise ? As the bottle has just run out and I'm about to change for a fresh one I was wondering if using propane or a mixture would prevent this happening again ? Anyone else had this issue ??
Thanks
From my 365 days a year caravan experiences propane works right through. Butane fails at very low temperatures. If you do switch you'll need to swap to a propane regulator. You may as well change the gas pipe at the same time as these fail after a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My caravans stored gas outside whereas the Cali is interior so I guess it may be less of an issue. Propane will work all year round though. There must be some reason butane is preferred. Seems a bit odd!

My caravans stored gas outside whereas the Cali is interior so I guess it may be less of an issue. Propane will work all year round though. There must be some reason butane is preferred. Seems a bit odd!

The pressure in butane cylinders is lower than in propane cylinders 1.8 bar as opposed to 6.9 bar. Which would you prefer to drive round with in the back of your Cali?

If you do decide to make the change you will require a different regulator.

That's interesting. I was thinking of the chemistry - butane C4H10 vs propane C3H8. So you'd get more bang for your buck energy wise from butane. Surely the webasto would keep your butane above its boiling point of -0.5C?

That's interesting. I was thinking of the chemistry - butane C4H10 vs propane C3H8. So you'd get more bang for your buck energy wise from butane. Surely the webasto would keep your butane above its boiling point of -0.5C?
Yes there is that too calorific value of butane is 112.5 MJ/m3 whilst propane is a mere 87.15 MJ/m3, these are net values.

but, with another regulator , the campinggaz (brand) stove will work without changing anything ?

Back