Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Protecting my tiny box

mikeelawson

mikeelawson

BOOMEL
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have on order a new t6.1 california ocean and would like advise on options as I see them.
The van will be outside in all seasons. There is no trees nearby, however there is a ewe tree with lots of birds nearby. We go out once or twice a week often to the seaside so fair amount of sea spray. I don't mind cleaning (nothing else to do at the moment).
I see the following options
1. ppf wrap, expensive
2. Ceramic coating, expensive
3. Cover protec, pain taking on/off?
4. Don't worry and just enjoy the van with a good clean
5. Something else?

Your thoughts would be great and any possible recommendations in Berkshire area.

Regards

Mike

Mines 2006. Lived most of its life outside in Aberdeen. 111k miles, still looks like new after a couple of hours cleaning a couple of times a year.

#4.

Maybe a good idea to get the underside of the van sprayed with something like Dinitrol/Waxoyl.

Its a 4 here too.

I give mine a back sack and crack wax 3 times per year,
it looks mint.

I have on order a new t6.1 california ocean and would like advise on options as I see them.
The van will be outside in all seasons. There is no trees nearby, however there is a ewe tree with lots of birds nearby. We go out once or twice a week often to the seaside so fair amount of sea spray. I don't mind cleaning (nothing else to do at the moment).
1. ppf wrap, expensive
5. Something else?

Your thoughts would be great and any possible recommendations in Berkshire area.

Regards

Mike

Give me a 4 too.
But I am not such a maniac in cleaning. Just the hand wash a couple of times a year, and that's it.
The inside on the other hand gets less cleaning, but more thorough once I get to the inside.

If I was picking up a new Ocean, I would go for 1, at least for bonnet and wings. But that’s because I’m particular, perhaps overly so...

1. ppf wrap, expensive
5. Something else?

Regards

Mike
#4 :)

I’m an OCD car detailing freak, so...

#4.

But...learn how to wash it properly and stay away from dodgy ‘hand car wash’ places and ‘hot foam brushes’ at petrol stations.

4 or don't worry about it at all. It's going to get dirty if you use it for camping, so no point stressing about keeping it shiny.

1 and get the front bumper, wing mirrors and side sections below where the chrome trim goes if fitted.

1. ppf wrap, expensive
5. Something else?

Regards

Mike
We had our new ocean wrapped at the front and the rest ceramic coated. if Your spending £60k plus on a motor, you may as well spend a bit more for protection imo

We had our new ocean wrapped at the front and the rest ceramic coated. if Your spending £60k plus on a motor, you may as well spend a bit more for protection imo
Can you tell me please where you had it wrapped on the veichle (ppf?), where yout it done and much it cost? Regards Mike

2, then 4. But with a bit of 3 in spring when the birds are at their messiest.

4. Hand wash, towel dry.. probably once a month in my case as main vehicle all over Highlands. Lift roof a bit to clear any debris to help stop roof drains getting blocked, wash roof now and again with stepladder, cleaning and drying around roof seals might prevent premature corrosion (none on mine). Keep channels and drains to side windows clean. After 4 years and 75k I got underside cleaned, some slight surface corrosion treated and Dinitrol applied.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I tried meguiars hybrid ceramic wax on my car which has been excellent. I am now thinking ppf spefific areas (front bumper, bonnet, roof, wing mirrors) and then (because I don't mind cleaning) use this on a regular basis.

Mike

2 then 4 is a piece of cake with a quick wash. Looks like new every time.

Mike

4 Ours is 08 lives outside being targeted by the local feathered friends but comes up good with a good clean and polish twice a year. Oh and a frequent Poo watch

Also a bit OCD when it comes to vehicle cleaning, had a Gtechnique C1 Coating applied to mine by a local detailer, all paint & glasswork & as much of the roof as he could reach on a ladder ! for about £280 which on a £60K van is reasonable in my book. I wash & clean reasonably regularly & top up with a Gtechnique C2 coating or quick detailer spray when the weather is nice & I have time, 2-3 times a year. The advantage of the Gtechniq coating over a traditional wax finish is you can apply it to everything, paint, glass & plastics & is much quicker to apply

4. Hand wash, towel dry.. probably once a month in my case as main vehicle all over Highlands. Lift roof a bit to clear any debris to help stop roof drains getting blocked, wash roof now and again with stepladder, cleaning and drying around roof seals might prevent premature corrosion (none on mine). Keep channels and drains to side windows clean. After 4 years and 75k I got underside cleaned, some slight surface corrosion treated and Dinitrol applied.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
So worth Dinitrol from day one? I've been quoted £380 (+£95 wax cavity injection)

Also a bit OCD when it comes to vehicle cleaning, had a Gtechnique C1 Coating applied to mine by a local detailer, all paint & glasswork & as much of the roof as he could reach on a ladder ! for about £280 which on a £60K van is reasonable in my book. I wash & clean reasonably regularly & top up with a Gtechnique C2 coating or quick detailer spray when the weather is nice & I have time, 2-3 times a year. The advantage of the Gtechniq coating over a traditional wax finish is you can apply it to everything, paint, glass & plastics & is much quicker to apply
Great price! Mind me asking where? About to take delivery of an Ascot grey Ocean and think its worth spending metallic money on ceramic if necessary