Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ProUser Diamant SG2 Tilting Cycle Carrier

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have been testing the ProUser Diamant SG2 tow bar bike rack this week and I also had it with me at the Dorset meet where it got a lot of attention!

The carrier is one of a few bike racks that will tilt far enough to allow the tailgate to open, also the other benefit is how small it folds down when not in use. It can carry two bikes upto 60kg so is perfect for Electric bikes.

These are priced at £399 in the club shop ( £379.52 for VIP's) https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/pro-user-diamant-sg2-tow-bar-bike-carrier-vw-t5-t6

Images courtesy of @MattBW

_MG_0965.jpg

_MG_0967.jpg

_MG_0969.jpg

_MG_0973.jpg

_MG_0975.jpg

_MG_0979.jpg

_MG_0980.jpg

It looks good. Especially the way it packs up small.

I like that sticker on your van.

You just talked me into one! :D

I’ve already got a Thule tilting one but it doesn’t fold up, so I’ll probably put that on the used accessories section. :thumb

PS: only one left now ...... according to the web page.

Just to let you know these went out of stock today but we have more arriving on Thursday

Okay first things first - I've bought one of these but failed to add a review on the shop page as it seems to lock me out and the promised unlock e mail never arrives - team needs to make that a bit more user friendly. This has also happened with other purchases.

Now to the bike rack - what an excellent bit of kit. I was fortunate to try it out (without my 2 E bikes) at the Dorset meet where it was demonstrated and the clearance when tipped back was a good 2-3" from the bottom lip of the back door. I ordered it and it arrived next day delivery. Simple to set up and very sturdy. Now the test of loading the bikes - it was quick and easy. Wheel straps are a bit fiddly as the ratchets are on the inside but I suspect this is a security issue. The test was now tipping the rack back with the bikes on - and result - plenty of clearance. Absolutely recommend these. I have used the VW bike rack for the past 4 years and yes I like it but it wasn't fun to load e bikes - I've found that I now access the back of the van much more than before and of course without the rack its a lot lighter. No more problems with height restrictive car parks. Note: I will be taking the batteries off and placing them in the cab.
IMG_3309.JPG IMG_3311.JPG IMG_3312.JPG IMG_3315.JPG IMG_3316.JPG IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3323.JPG IMG_3324.JPG

Mine also arrived very quickly but up to now I have only fitted it and tried lifting a couple of e-bikes on, haven’t actually driven anywhere with it.

One thing to note is that this is the “Plus” version which gives the additional clearance needed for the large Cali tailgate.

In comparison with our old tilting Thule there is not much in it as regards fitting and lifting the bikes on, but the difference is that it folds up nice and neatly for storage, which is the reason I bought it.

A word of warning - if you fit two e-bikes on then it the weight is considerable when you tilt it. I’ve no doubt the rack is man enough for the job but the weight can take you by surprise, so be prepared!

Mine also arrived very quickly but up to now I have only fitted it and tried lifting a couple of e-bikes on, haven’t actually driven anywhere with it.

One thing to note is that this is the “Plus” version which gives the additional clearance needed for the large Cali tailgate.

In comparison with our old tilting Thule there is not much in it as regards fitting and lifting the bikes on, but the difference is that it folds up nice and neatly for storage, which is the reason I bought it.

A word of warning - if you fit two e-bikes on then it the weight is considerable when you tilt it. I’ve no doubt the rack is man enough for the job but the weight can take you by surprise, so be prepared!
I agree the weight on tipping is considerable and my concern was, would the rack actually hold the bikes? I guess the answer is yes of course as its built for 60kg. I am however tempted/thinking about a short bit of wood to take the load. Paranoid?

In terms of driving with the bikes its been fine - I always add additional straps with any bike rack :)

Don’t think I would have fancied putting two e-bikes on the VW rack. BTW, mine is a Kalkhoff similar to yours, not quite the same (Endeavour i9). What is the white bike?

Also, is that a motorbike cover you are using?

Don’t think I would have fancied putting two e-bikes on the VW rack. BTW, mine is a Kalkhoff similar to yours, not quite the same (Endeavour i9). What is the white bike?

Also, is that a motorbike cover you are using?
Yes my wife did find it difficult lifting those bikes :)

Both bike are Kalkhoff - both belt drive, Integrale and include I think.

The bike cover is a bicycle cover for 3 bikes, used it on the old rack but of course it would not cover the whole bike as it does here. I don't generally use a cover unless going on the ferry at start and end of holidays. Maybe I will now its so easy. I was only trying it for size in the photo.

I haven’t bothered with a cover but up to now only carried ordinary bikes. I don’t like leaving the batteries on the e-bikes as they add weight and make them more thievable, but when the integrated battery is removed it looks as though water would collect in the recessed area; hence the interest in the cover.

I haven’t bothered with a cover but up to now only carried ordinary bikes. I don’t like leaving the batteries on the e-bikes as they add weight and make them more thievable, but when the integrated battery is removed it looks as though water would collect in the recessed area; hence the interest in the cover.
Travelling through Europe this year I took the batteries off and just strapped plastic bags around the base of battery void to cover connectors and it worked well. Like I said now that its possible to put a cover on so easily I may use this more often.I even thought of making some sort of mould to fit over the bottom recess. Note: re the photo of the cover- I would strap this tighter pre travelling to ensure no flapping

Appreciate this thread is quite old but i’ve a problem with my new Pro User and wonder if you guys could help.

First time tilting the rack with two bikes was a test run ahead of getting on the road. Problem is that once tilted back upright the locking pegs and sprockets don’t appear to “click” per the instructions and the bikes are not secure. No amount to pushing and returning to the upright seems to make any difference difference. Meaning the ranks and bikes will flop over if i move the van. Not so good.

Took the bikes off and tried again and same issue - not securing the tilting mechanism and still lose. Am I doing something wrong or could the gods of Sod’s law have sent me duff rack? Anyone out there with experience and the patience to offer hints or commiserations if it a duffer.

When you lift the rack back up, press the lever again that you used to release the mechanism. The rack should then lift up sufficient to engage the locking mechanism.

Thanks will give it a go in the morning and report back. Cheers and have a great evening.

Hi again, tried but no joy - see pics. The issues the same in that the pegs just will not re-engage with the rack and it remains unstable. Tried all kinds of approaches with bikes without bikes and no joy. Back to square one me things and ask the Shop for a refund/replacement as the one i’ve been supplied seems to a duffer. 05731300-2C63-4E32-B182-E86E5591606A.jpeg60392DA0-C737-4BD4-924D-7FB13DEB2654.jpeg

Maybe it's a bit tight with being new, try pulling the foot lever up manually and see if the catch clicks into place. If it is that, it should loosen off after a few uses.

My old Altera rack was stiff when new. Cured it by a few squirts of silicon bike spray, loaded it with a full set up bikes and gave it a few forceful shoves. Was fine after that.

Thanks again to both of you your help is much appreciated. Tried again with force and nothing changed retried until i got a sweat on then abandoned. The pegs aren’t getting the message and resolutely stay tantalisingly close. I need to pop out for silicon spray then go again. Will report back on progress.

Update. Spoken to the shop who managed to get the tech team at Diamant to look at the pics. Their conclusion is that the ‘step’ was damaged in transit hence not retuning the locks to the pins as it was bent upward against the frame. Solution to post me a new step which i can fit and then see where we get to. Kind helps my sanity to know its not a user error. Will update once fitted.

Oh man the rack has gone back. The issue was more than the plastic step. Shop have been fab and taken it back ahead of a refund - but the old once bitten twice shy rule applies. I’ll be look elsewhere for a replacement.

I have been testing the ProUser Diamant SG2 tow bar bike rack this week and I also had it with me at the Dorset meet where it got a lot of attention!

The carrier is one of a few bike racks that will tilt far enough to allow the tailgate to open, also the other benefit is how small it folds down when not in use. It can carry two bikes upto 60kg so is perfect for Electric bikes.

These are priced at £399 in the club shop ( £379.52 for VIP's) https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/pro-user-diamant-sg2-tow-bar-bike-carrier-vw-t5-t6

Images courtesy of @MattBW

View attachment 38627

View attachment 38628

View attachment 38629

View attachment 38630

View attachment 38631

View attachment 38632

View attachment 38633
I have just bought this but having a problem fitting it, when I put it on the ball the lever just won’t pull down and click in place, I’ve tried brute force but it’s like the tow bar is too thick or maybe its me that too thick I dunno, I’m wondering if I have a different type of tow bar on my van, can’t see it somehow as I thought tow bats were a standard size, the rack doesn’t appear faulty either, heres a pic of my towbar is it the same as yours ? Also any fitting techniques I should be aware of would be appreciated cheers

I have just bought this but having a problem fitting it, when I put it on the ball the lever just won’t pull down and click in place, I’ve tried brute force but it’s like the tow bar is too thick or maybe its me that too thick I dunno, I’m wondering if I have a different type of tow bar on my van, can’t see it somehow as I thought tow bats were a standard size, the rack doesn’t appear faulty either, heres a pic of my towbar is it the same as yours ? Also any fitting techniques I should be aware of would be appreciated cheers
page 76 .... adjustment? Any help?

Shame manufactures haven't kept up with technology and upgraded to led lights. Just bought one after very long reserch. I would how ether say i found it difficult to attach my 2 ebikes as the clamps are designed for round bike tubbing and alot of ebikes have either thick or odd shaped tubes making it very difficult for a satisfactory fit. But affter alot of trial and error managed it, would be good if the solid bars had a bit more flexability.