Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pucer Screens (or equivalent)

J

joeaguilar

Can anyone recommned 'Pucer' screen covers (or equivalent) for the Cali?
I have the silver Brandrup screens but they sag and always end up with condense on the screen. I have heard the external type covers help prevent condensation build up....
Does anyone have prices for these?
thnx Joe

Martin, thank you. - I will look at the link you have posted...

Had one of these for 3 years, never seen any condensation :thumb definitely recommended!

Regards Barry

We ordered a PUCER screen a few weeks ago but I was quite disappointed after trying it on:
2 inch gap all along the top side edges, air vents on top front corner completely covered, top front edge flappy and inviting the rain in.
My immediate thought was that this is the screen for a different van as it did not fit as described by the maker, Daren. Sent him some photos of the issues but he was unable to help so I had to sent the screen back for assessment (caution, expensive postage!). It was found to be "correct" and Daren suggested I had fitted it wrongly, however photos of correctly fitted screens he sent me showed the same issues...

My conclusion is that the screen is not fit for purpose with not insulating some areas, potentially allowing water in and not allowing gas exchange by covering the vents.

I have asked Daren for a refund over a week ago and am still waiting. :cry:

If you are still interested, I would suggest to not buy by mail-order but try one on at some show and decide if you can live with the "compromised" fit.

janwulf......

Your being far to picky. I have had a Pucer for close on 3 years and think its excellent. To say that because the vents are covered means that air can't escape from them is silly, the fit is fairly loose and won't stop the air. When rain is lashing down you will be pleased the vents are covered.....

As for the refund and waiting a week, have they not had an Xmas break in your part of the world...!!

I have a Pucer aswell and have never really had a problem with it apart from in some very severe heavy rain that was virtually blowing horizontal and we ended up with a few minor puddles inside apart from that it does the job very well. Also ANY roof cover you buy will cover the air vents in the canvas.

Also as Martin says, Darren is on holiday at the moment and I am sure he will resolve this for you when he gets back, many online businesses are closed until the 2nd January anyway.

We've got one, just used it for the first time this week. Very pleased with it, no fit issues and it does cover the roof vents but I'm not worried about this.

I do ensure a window is open when using the internal stove just as a precaution when the pucer is fitted, but there is still air movement in/out of the high level vents.

Hi Folks

I am in the process of either buying these:-
http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=396&cat=33
http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=397&cat=33

or this external one

http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=177&cat=21

Does anyone have either of these?

Gedi...... :D

Your links are broken, extra space between camper and van!

No they are altogether when I post it......

I don't know why it doesn't work.

Your links are broken, extra space between camper and van!

For some reason the forum always does this with Campervantastic web site.

I think you;ll find it is related to the word censorship function. Such as that used to change T r a n s i t to Transit etc. Normally used to combat spam etc.

Californiaman said:
I think you;ll find it is related to the word censorship function. Such as that used to change T r a n s i t to Dustbin etc. Normally used to combat spam etc.

I love that one!!! :lol:

BerndRos said:
janwulf......

Your being far to picky. I have had a Pucer for close on 3 years and think its excellent. To say that because the vents are covered means that air can't escape from them is silly, the fit is fairly loose and won't stop the air. When rain is lashing down you will be pleased the vents are covered.....

But.......... All you happy satisfied Pucer owners, you haven't said, or even disputed what Janwulf states, is there a two inch gap at the top all round the pop up roof sides or not ??
Because if there is I would have to agree with him that the product would not be fit for purpose and that some people are too easily satisfied

signed by prospective Pucer customer but needs to be re-assured that it will be a PERFECT FIT for my T5 pre-facelift 2008 VW California. Will it ??? :? :help

Honest and unbiased answers would be greatly appreciated :thanks :thanks

Here is a list of pros and cons:

Pros

Keeps the van warmer (I'd say a few degrees warmer)
Keeps the rain out - it's worked for in driving rain and force 8+ winds. No more than a tiny drop or two at the worst.
Fits fairly well
Can still use roof bars.
Easy to put on compared to full covers.

Cons

Slightly low rent appearance
Doesn't "meet" at the back - never had rain come in here and it does means you can adjust it slightly though
The bungee supplied is too long (I use two very small ones)
The bag is a bit low rent
It takes up a bit of space
The bellow raising legs can catch the cover and tear it - best to have some silver gaffa tape with you
It can be tricky to put on and take off in high winds.

However for me it's an essential and a bargain compared to most other accessories - essential too. One night we didn't use it (it was a lovely sunset, we assumed it wouldn't rain) it hammered it down and our poor (1 at the time) daughter got soaked - drying out the upper mattress is NOT easy!

Some say it's for lesser conditions than a full topper but I can safely say we've used ours in the most extreme conditions a camper will experience (force 10 winds, massive rain falls) with no adverse effects.

KernowLad said:
Here is a list of pros and cons:

Cons

Slightly low rent appearance
Doesn't "meet" at the back - never had rain come in here and it does means you can adjust it slightly though
The bungee supplied is too long (I use two very small ones)
The bag is a bit low rent
It takes up a bit of space
The bellow raising legs can catch the cover and tear it - best to have some silver gaffa tape with you
It can be tricky to put on and take off in high winds.

But what about the 2" gap all round the top that so annoyed janwolf ?
Is there a gap or not ?
If so how big is it ?

There is a slight gap but the roof overhangs by a lot so that bits stays dry.

Honestly we really have tested ours to the limits and have 100% faith in it.

image.jpeg
We have a Pucer Screen on our T4 and it is a great fit. It tucks under the roof really well and offers great protection but with ventilation, as we unzip our side windows and air comes in OK. The only minus is that there is no panel for the rear but we overcame that by using a piece of insulation from our previous ( poorer quality) canvas screen.

Back