Pull down blinds spring back!

Guy/Louise

Guy/Louise

Life is for living....
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
please feel free to redirect me...

I’m sure I saw a thread about the side window blinds not staying fully down, springing back up a bit, I can’t find it now!

My blinds do this, I’m sure it can’t be right. When I asked for it to be looked at at the dealer, I was told that the one they compared it to does the same, therefore it must be right.

Two wrongs don’t make it right, or do they?

Anyone any experience of this minor complaint?

One of our blinds has started doing this - just after our warrenty expired....

No it is not right. The blind should stay down or it is not fit for purpose. As your van is new it should be changed under warranty.

However, with that attitude it may be easier to fix it yourself.

The blind runs in an ally channel each side with a thin guide wire down the centre. It is held in position by friction. If you look closely you can see the channel.

I found that by using some pointed pliers it is possible to slip these in between the plastic trim and the channel and gently squeeze the bottom end of the channel together slightly. This will increase the friction thereby holding the blind down. You won't need to narrow the channel by very much at all, so use only gentle squeezes and check as you go.

Alan

No it is not right. The blind should stay down or it is not fit for purpose. As your van is new it should be changed under warranty.

However, with that attitude it may be easier to fix it yourself.

The blind runs in an ally channel each side with a thin guide wire down the centre. It is held in position by friction. If you look closely you can see the channel.

I found that by using some pointed pliers it is possible to slip these in between the plastic trim and the channel and gently squeeze the bottom end of the channel together slightly. This will increase the friction thereby holding the blind down. You won't need to narrow the channel by very much at all, so use only gentle squeezes and check as you go.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

As it is still under warranty I’m going to put it to VW that it isn’t right...then go from there. I don’t want to fiddle with it then have another snag and then VW come back and say warranty is void, someone has been bodging!!!

I believe the channel needs a simple adjustment at the bottom I believe to ensure it doesn't return.

The dealer saying its supposed to be like that is ridiculous, what is the point of a blind that wont stay down. If the other one does it that one isnt fit for purpose either.

I had a problem with mine not returning, they fixed them and they worked a charm after that. It is a big job as the trim has to all be removed if they physically replace or reset the blinds.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/back-driverside-roller-blind-not-staying-down.14729/page-2

please feel free to redirect me...

I’m sure I saw a thread about the side window blinds not staying fully down, springing back up a bit, I can’t find it now!

My blinds do this, I’m sure it can’t be right. When I asked for it to be looked at at the dealer, I was told that the one they compared it to does the same, therefore it must be right.

Two wrongs don’t make it right, or do they?

Anyone any experience of this minor complaint?

It is wrong.

The dealer is wrong.

It is not minor. You have bought a camper van. Blinds are part of it and if they don't work then the vehicle package does not work.

GrannyJen is spot on.

And bear in mind that a lot of dealers, however well-intentioned, have not a clue about Cali’s :(

I wouldn’t have been impressed if my dealer had said that to me. If it had a scratch in the paintwork, would he say there was another one on the forecourt that had a scratch, so that must be right?

Take it back to the dealer and insist it's put right. The vehicle has a fault, its under warranty, end of.

Update....

Carrs Van Centre have looked at the blinds, their technician has said that as another Cali does the same it must be correct. I said two wrongs don’t make a right... they then said that there’s no warranty issue. So there should be a gap? I asked, they repeated that they can’t find a problem, not agreeing or disagreeing about the gap.
I’m now talking to Customer service... see where it goes!

I used to have a California that did this,
It’s a pain in the arse.
with zero trust for my local dealer after the previous earth shunt fix they did and left oily handprints everywhere I just stuck a bit of folded card in it when it was down!!!!
No real fix but it worked and I didn’t have to take it back for them to do more damage than good!
Good luck

I asked the customer care guy why he couldn’t ask VW what the blinds should do, he said that he can’t, it’s up to the dealership techs to report.... if they think there’s a snag, Carrs don’t!!!

I had it fixed on 1 blind under warranty after 2 visits at the dealer ..
They asked VW headquarters for advice as they had no clue.

I just drove down to ********** not for the snow but to visit **** van Centre... what a difference!
Blinds on order!!! I’ll
I look forward to informing Carrs that my business is moving!!

Last edited:
update...

The blinds were replaced back in June, at the same time they managed to damage the roof above the front seat, both psu panels, an air vent... and the blinds were worse than ever. I picked up Blodwyn yesterday after being told that all was now good...
A scratched vinyl panel that i found was just a start... The overhead locker doesn't open squarely and the rear left hand blind is so stiff I have to hit it up to open it. The blind above the kitchen isn't too good either.
I now have ***** head office on the case and the head of VWCV marketing.
When I pointed out the scratched vinyl to the Boss at the Van Centre, he said it wasn't them, I told him that my van is treated with love and care...after a bit of a chat he has agreed to replace it.
Why don't these places respect peoples property?

Last edited:
update...
Why don't these places respect peoples property?

Guy I'm so sorry to read this is still going on.

Our locker was never the same when we got Dudley back. The trim around the little rear window was damaged and rubbed on the fridge every time it was opened. There was a triangular shaped scratch on the wardrobe door...

More annoying is the fact that they supposedly now have one of the best technicians in the country working out of Plymouth. It doesn't give you much faith that taking it anywhere else would be better does it?

Hope you get it sorted soon x

Our locker was never the same when we got Dudley back. The trim around the little rear window was damaged and rubbed on the fridge every time it was opened. There was a triangular shaped scratch on the wardrobe door...

More annoying is the fact that they supposedly now have one of the best technicians in the country working out of Plymouth. It doesn't give you much faith that taking it anywhere else would be better does it?

One of the best techs in the country I work in a southern vw dealer and I’ve not heard of this person I’m interested to who it is?

On the point of the blind they should stay down obviously what happens is the felt on the little black runners on the end of the blind which go up and down the wire ware it’s an easy fix simply replace the felt. no need to remove the blind or the trims so no damage.

One of the best techs in the country I work in a southern vw dealer and I’ve not heard of this person I’m interested to who it is?

On the point of the blind they should stay down obviously what happens is the felt on the little black runners on the end of the blind which go up and down the wire ware it’s an easy fix simply replace the felt. no need to remove the blind or the trims so no damage.

I was told they have one of the few "California Experts" in the country. If this guy is an expert then the rest must be awful!!
If you knew about the easy fix, why doesn't anyone else?

Thank you...Do you ever wish you hadn't started something, should have just left well alone and put up with it? When does your new bus arrive, excited?

If anyone would like to see the video, ! can Whatsapp it to you...

I was told they have one of the few "California Experts" in the country. If this guy is an expert then the rest must be awful!!
If you knew about the easy fix, why doesn't anyone else?

That I don’t know but I am one of those few California experts in the country and I’m definitely not awful

That I don’t know but I am one of those few California experts in the country and I’m definitely not awful
I, for one am very glad you are on the forum. Thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated. :thanks

Back