Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pulling away on slippery surface with DSG?

Detritus

Detritus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

Whilst in Switzerland I had a mild panic when trying to leave a camp site. The grass was extremely wet, cold and slippery and on an incline so when pulling away the wheels kept spinning. I tried to put the DSG into 2nd but it refused - just stayed in 1st. I eventually got out by being really gentle on the accelerator but it took quite a few goes! On my Delica the auto box could be put in two low gears for just such an occasion and I've seen this on most other auto boxes. Is there a way to do this on the DSG?

Thanks,

Jez

My DSG doesn't like my drive! Part of my drive is gravel which not exactly firm but is not deep. When I park on it and try to reverse out the gearbox seems to think there's a loss of traction and needs more than "normal" throttle to move. Difficult to explain!

On our t5 you could turn the traction control on and off which helped with the advances on the t6 there is no manual control of the traction control the one time had this issue on t6 we used some traction mats - other than that 4 motion is the way forward off the grass.

Have you tried putting it into manual by pushing the gear stick to the right?
It should pull itself out with the traction control with your foot off the throttle. Depending on the slope the anti-stall feature keeps the revs up a bit and traction control keeps the wheels gripping.

My reason for always wanting a manual, I feel more in control in campsite situations our dsg motorhome was always tricky after a lot of rain or putting it on the levellers could sometimes be awkward
You could always buy some all season tyres this may help

Part of the problem is that a lot of weight goes on the rear axel and the front is very light witch does not help in terms of grip.
Had some simular experiences also , and reversing uphill from standing stil is also a problem.
But once you know the issue you count it in and just be precautious .

Have you tried putting it into manual by pushing the gear stick to the right?
It should pull itself out with the traction control with your foot off the throttle. Depending on the slope the anti-stall feature keeps the revs up a bit and traction control keeps the wheels gripping.

Unfortunately you cannot override the DSG by forcing it into 2nd. You can switch off the traction control my T6 but I have 4 motion.

Don't know about putting DSG into manual (we don't have one), but would be surprises if there wasn't such a possibility.

Other than that, letting out air from your tyres can help a lot in tricky grip situations.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I use a low tech solution, something like these plastic ribbed traction plates. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049A7MMG/?tag=eliteelect-21
Stored in the tailgate with the chairs. We attended Tribfest at Sledmere last weekend, hundreds of vans packed onto grassy soft ground. We didn't need to use them with our Cali but were able to rescue two motor homes that had slipped to a halt.

The DSG box will ONLY use 1st gear until you have all wheel motion. This is all controlled by the DSG software.
It is a common mis-perception that the DSG is an automatic gear box. It is not. It is a Dual Clutch pre-selection drive system.
You should use the Ant-Stall programming to get vehicle movment

Thanks for the responses all. Had a similar situation at the weekend at the Purbeck Music Festival - grass was a foot long and very wet, long hill with some lumpy bits. Wheels slipped several times despite going super slow. Have now ordered some of the tracks @Highflyer suggested - would hate to get stuck!

Thanks again,

Jez

I have same problem with 4motion DSG when reversing even on a slight incline it disengages if I try to ease accelerator and needs revs to get engaged again, vicious cycle then ensues.
Wife's DSG EOS doesn't do this and reverses out like a manual car.

Had to abandon trying to reverse a trailer up the drive in France due to this,. Both my previous cars with auto boxes (torque converter types) Disco 4 and BMW 320 Xdrive did this in an easy to control manner.

I have same problem with 4motion DSG when reversing even on a slight incline it disengages if I try to ease accelerator and needs revs to get engaged again, vicious cycle then ensues.
Wife's DSG EOS doesn't do this and reverses out like a manual car.

Had to abandon trying to reverse a trailer up the drive in France due to this,. Both my previous cars with auto boxes (torque converter types) Disco 4 and BMW 320 Xdrive did this in an easy to control manner.
That does not sound right. Don't have this problem in my SE. Put DSG in R and revs increase and it starts creeping automatically.

That does not sound right. Don't have this problem in my SE. Put DSG in R and revs increase and it starts creeping automatically.
I'll see what response I get from VW when I book it in next month for that and minor faults.

The wet grass scenario was one reason we went for the all season tyres - not problems so far.
I've not had to use it in the Cali, but an off-roading technique is to left foot brake whilst using the accelerator. The brake acts as an anti-spin measure, and stops you rolling back, whilst the drive works to creep forward against the brake pressure.
http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/lifestyle/left-foot-braking-why-and-when-to-use-it/
Tricky to do, but it might help someone get out of a tight spot...

The wet grass scenario was one reason we went for the all season tyres - not problems so far.
I've not had to use it in the Cali, but an off-roading technique is to left foot brake whilst using the accelerator. The brake acts as an anti-spin measure, and stops you rolling back, whilst the drive works to creep forward against the brake pressure.
http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/lifestyle/left-foot-braking-why-and-when-to-use-it/
Tricky to do, but it might help someone get out of a tight spot...
Doubt that would work with the DSG as having your foot on the brake pedal would tend to disengage the DSG.

One method to get slowly moving that does work on slippery situations is to constantly turn the steering wheel from side to side - left<>right etc action.

I've had this problem of not enough revs to make the van move then when there are enough revs it slips on wet grass. Mine however has the Tiptronic so I could have tried using that only I forgot about it - have never used it in 16 months ownership as I'm not really sure what it's for.

Mine however has the Tiptronic so I could have tried using that only I forgot about it - have never used it in 16 months ownership as I'm not really sure what it's for.

I used it quite a bit on the motorway, esp when towing, to stop the engine unnecessarily popping down a gear on hills

Charles

That's exactly the type of situation the manual gate / tiptronic is for, and you can select the gear / revs. My T5 was useless on slippery grass however until I fitted winter tyres. The tiptronic is also good for descending in snow.

There's a new "coast" engine setting in the mfd that acts like putting the van in neutral on hills - e.g no engine braking. Great for efficiency but I'm turning it off if it's snowy or sloppy and I'm descending. Putting it in 2nd or 3rd can help as well

Yes I'm intending to fit winter tyres to mine - and use them all year. After all, most of this summer's been pretty much like winter!

I really don't like the idea of doing away with engine braking on hills - it might save fuel but cause extra brake wear.

If you touch the brakes, it won't coast, but stays in gear (i.e. Engine braking) but if you touch the go pedal it coasts. Works for me- easy to control whether in gear or not downhill.

Charles

Charles please forgive my ignorance, but what is the "Go pedal" accelerator pedal ???

Thanks

Back