Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Putting in/taking out 5th seat - what am I doing wrong?

T

Tony C

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've just had a 5th seat arrive for my T6 Ocean. I can't find any instructions anywhere.

I've figured how to get the rail covers off and the seat seemed to slots into the grooves, however it won't slide back to securely fasten into the rails.

Has anyone got any helpful hints for me please?

Tony

I've just had a 5th seat arrive for my T6 Ocean. I can't find any instructions anywhere.

I've figured how to get the rail covers off and the seat seemed to slots into the grooves, however it won't slide back to securely fasten into the rails.

Has anyone got any helpful hints for me please?

Tony
You have removed the bench seat stop normally located in the rail nearest the kitchen?, or are you using the other 2 rails?

I'm trying to use the one closest to the kitchen. Can you remove the bench seat stop, and what does it look like?!?

Part the rail finishers a little to see inside the rail. You'll see a metal body with a flat head screw securing it in place. Undo and slide out......

I'm trying to use the one closest to the kitchen. Can you remove the bench seat stop, and what does it look like?!?
Yes. Slide a screwdriver up and down the slot to locate the Stop.

Jes, any info about that on the instruction manual, it's crazy! See link below:

Having played around sorting my new 5th seat last weekend, thought I'd add to the detail as follows.
This applies to my 2013 SE. (doesn't have the tie down rings at the track ends).
If placing chair by door, nothing to do other than remove the 4 covers from track and the 2 plastic end covers, drop in seat, lift the metal bar in the front of the seat base, push seat back. Release metal bar to lock.

If placing seat by kitchen, lift covers on the middle track. Track by kitchen - slide a flat head screwdriver down the rubber sleeve to locate the track stop. This stops the bench in its most forward position for making up the bed. You could put some tape on the foot of the kitchen unit aligned with the stopper so you know how far to slide bench. Do this before removing the stopper. The stopper is held in place only by a screw that lifts it and presses it against the main black metal frame of the track - there's no threaded hole in the frame to locate when you want to replace in the future. Hence tape on kitchen unit is a good marker. Slide the stopper out and keep safe.
(No option to slide and re-position is forwards as will clash with 5th seat front feet and if slid backwards would stop bench moving to bed position).
5th seat now fits in either by door or next to kitchen but with no leg room by bench.
Therefore need to be able to slide bench further back - head rests are the limiter by resting against speakers on top draw unit.
Rear stopper is in track behind bench next to kitchen. Push bench back to stop limit then slightly forward a few centimeters to give rough location - this stopper will not slide out, you only need to re-position it to its new rearward location. You can't remove it because of metal bars that strengthened the main black metal track stop it from being slid out.
I'd suggest undo the screw so head proud of the rubber strip, hold with pincers, slide to new position and then screw back down. See front stopper for length of screw thread you have to play with. Again there's no threaded hole in the main black track for it to go into, put it so it actually stops the bench in new reward position or let the headrests do the stopping. Enjoy the 5th seat and drastically reduced boot space.

Having played around sorting my new 5th seat last weekend, thought I'd add to the detail as follows.
This applies to my 2013 SE. (doesn't have the tie down rings at the track ends).
If placing chair by door, nothing to do other than remove the 4 covers from track and the 2 plastic end covers, drop in seat, lift the metal bar in the front of the seat base, push seat back. Release metal bar to lock.

If placing seat by kitchen, lift covers on the middle track. Track by kitchen - slide a flat head screwdriver down the rubber sleeve to locate the track stop. This stops the bench in its most forward position for making up the bed. You could put some tape on the foot of the kitchen unit aligned with the stopper so you know how far to slide bench. Do this before removing the stopper. The stopper is held in place only by a screw that lifts it and presses it against the main black metal frame of the track - there's no threaded hole in the frame to locate when you want to replace in the future. Hence tape on kitchen unit is a good marker. Slide the stopper out and keep safe.
(No option to slide and re-position is forwards as will clash with 5th seat front feet and if slid backwards would stop bench moving to bed position).
5th seat now fits in either by door or next to kitchen but with no leg room by bench.
Therefore need to be able to slide bench further back - head rests are the limiter by resting against speakers on top draw unit.
Rear stopper is in track behind bench next to kitchen. Push bench back to stop limit then slightly forward a few centimeters to give rough location - this stopper will not slide out, you only need to re-position it to its new rearward location. You can't remove it because of metal bars that strengthened the main black metal track stop it from being slid out.
I'd suggest undo the screw so head proud of the rubber strip, hold with pincers, slide to new position and then screw back down. See front stopper for length of screw thread you have to play with. Again there's no threaded hole in the main black track for it to go into, put it so it actually stops the bench in new reward position or let the headrests do the stopping. Enjoy the 5th seat and drastically reduced boot space.
I removed both front and rear track stops, whilst slightly tricky the rear one can be extracted.
The 5 th seat can then be easily positioned on the kitchen side which gives decent leg room between the front seats with the rear bench in position well clear of the rear overhead cupboard.
A sixth seat can be fitted if the bench seat users are both using child seats and the inside passenger is under say 2 years old. You of course have to get this arrangement agreed by your insurance co/DVLA.